Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Multimedia
Nightmare Before Christmas,,,,Goth or just cool? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NBC goth?
  Yes
  No
  Depends
View Results

Teriyaki Tsubaki

1,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:00 pm
Yah I usually watch it around christmas and halloween. Its a really smart idea because you get money for two holidays in one. So smart.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:05 pm
Teriyaki Tsubaki
Yah I usually watch it around christmas and halloween. Its a really smart idea because you get money for two holidays in one. So smart.
Um....how so? It really doesn't seem like something that's that incredibly brilliant.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

YellowRavenInk

Opinionated Bibliophile

12,775 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:32 pm
This Old Oscillator
The Lord of Dreams
I would say that there is a certain gothic style in the movie, but that doesn't bring me to generalize about everything Tim Burton makes.
Stardust for example is definetly not goth, neither is American gods. Even though he is one of the writers i like the most.

I'm lost. Are you confusing Neil Gaiman with Tim Burton? confused

Also, the ONLY reason that movie is affiliated with goth in any way is because of Hot Topic.

Ewww yes i did confuse them >< I'm actually wondering how i did get confused to that point =P  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:35 pm
they probably associate it with goth because of all the dark colors, dead things, and such.
Doesn't necessarily make it goth but it would sort of seem it i guess.
I suppose you have to look at it from a different point of view.
it might have gothic influences. . . i supposed thats possible. . .

Well it's always been one of my fav movies.
i suppose. .. . it's cool with some spots of goth
^^ i guess.  

Miyu_Aizawa

NokomisSnape

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:49 am
To be honest, I don't really label movies. I do love Tim Burton's work (especially when he brings along Johnny Depp for the ride).

Favorite Burton movie though....Sweeney Todd....loved it so much!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:04 pm
I am getting a tattoo with nitemare before chrismas on my arm. It's for my friend that died as she loved tim burton.  

Nikki the Juggalette

sushi bomb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:10 am
Most if not all people like to think so but i dont see how any movie is "Goth" It's a fashion a way of thinking not a movie :]  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:28 am
Hm. I'm sure that this has been said before, but it probably depends on one's definition of goth.
It doesn't quite fit into the category of gothic literature, not enough people are quite that brand of crazy. Jack comes close when he gets obsessed, but the fact that it only leads to his partial destruction does reduce that. That might have just been putting a happy ending on a family movie.

But thinking in this style does make me think that Edward Scissorhands would be considered gothic in terms of literature. I mean, the hero does pretty much everything right, is quiet and polite, and his world changes around him almost randomly, to his eventual isolation.

Hello, I'm a pretentious b*****d.  

Lord Charlemain Richards

Thirteenth Lover

12,825 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Vintage 200

xX-DeadMansParty-Xx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:32 am
I don't think it's goth. I love it anyways though.
It's so cute.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:38 pm
Quite honestly, trying to label Tim Burton as anything doesn't really work, he's just a really messed-in-the-head indivdual. That's not to say though, that I find his works without a gothic taste. It's appealing, but not strangling, and I find it a horrid statement to say that it's emo.  

JTHMFrAeK-Ghoat

moonlighshadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:25 am
I love Night Mare Before Christamas!!!!! It's notreally goth is kind of like a scary movie for little kids!!!! I LOVE JACK!!! The movie is cute to me.....>.< 4laugh  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:39 pm
it was a grate movie 10 years ago but i wish the nightmare would just end.  

AEtherclaw

JTHMFrAeK-Ghoat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:42 pm
I know it would be crappy.... but I want there to be a sequel(sp?)! XD That'd be too good XP  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:47 pm
It's a cute movie. I don't think it's goth and I don't like all the hype about it. It feels like they tried to bring it into to style just to push merchandise. The same goes with the making of Corpse Bride and the remake of Sweeny Todd.  

Laharl Part Deux

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:45 pm
Laharl Part Deux
It's a cute movie. I don't think it's goth and I don't like all the hype about it. It feels like they tried to bring it into to style just to push merchandise. The same goes with the making of Corpse Bride and the remake of Sweeny Todd.

Burton just happens to have a very profitable art direction, it seems.  
Multimedia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff