Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The Loss of Literacy in Modern America Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you blame for the lack of literacy?
  Television
  Computers
  Peer validation (If its alright for them to do it, its alright for me to do it!
  Laziness
  Bad genetics
View Results

-M- Mellolicious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:38 pm
Shinobi 1977
Sexy lil Soc

The majority of Neopets members = NOOBZ LOLZ!1!1one!11!shift!1!1!

Neopets was "teh sux0rz". I played it for a little while, but it was a big chore. I had to feed those pets every day and the food cost so damn much. I never went on the boards. From what I understand, I wasn't missing much. I read that they censored any words that are even remotely connected with sex, like "hot" and "sucks". Talk about being ultra-conservative.

Yeah. My friend got banned for saying "That's hot." once. >___>
They also went on a random banning spree once.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:52 pm
I have to defend video games here... I have done a lot of research on how video games are actually helpful to us. Now granted that they might not help with our spelling and such, but you can learn all sorts of things if you play the right games. One example which is quite prevalant today is from people who play the Dynasty Warriors games. People who play those games get interested in what actually happened back then (at least I did and so did pretty much everyone else in the DW guild that's part of my signature). You learn from them whether you think you do or not. You can learn ideas, skills, terminology, and maybe, just maybe, you can even learn to form your own ideas off of what you learned from the game.

I understand that a lot of kids today just want to play the games and don't care what is going on, but they are the people that that rule doesn't apply to, just like the people who are just plain stupid and/or lazy that I was talking about before.  

Shidobu Cloud

Dangerous Millionaire

10,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:10 pm
Not my point, my point is they spend all day playing games instead of actively trying to learn, and even the games that do help them learn don't fully compensate for that.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:16 am
Ah! You're saying that passive learning can't replace active learning. I completely agree. I think some passive learning is alright. If I watch a TV show about something I'm interested in, like history or nature, I can learn and retain facts from that. But there's nothing like good, old-fashioned hands-on learning to really drive the point home.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Skye Misanagi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:05 pm
I think it's due to laziness. I also think it's idiotic that someone needs a college degree to work with wood and tools, and yet, you don't have to have a license to make software. D: I'll admit, I have friends that use 'txt tlk', but it takes me forever to reply due to the fact I'm having to translate it. I swear, I saw someone use an eleven-letter internet acronym. Who the hell is going to know what that means?! The only internet acronym I use is 'brb', and I barely even use that. Also, I get seriously pissed off if any of my friends (Or anyone in general.) uses the forbidden acronym. The forbidden acronym is 'lol'. xp Seriously people, 'xD' just explains it so much better than that. xp

Edit: I just realized somthing. eek I don't even click on the little emoticons on the side. I type those out, too. xDD  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:18 pm
Skye Misanagi
I think it's due to laziness. I also think it's idiotic that someone needs a college degree to work with wood and tools, and yet, you don't have to have a license to make software. D: I'll admit, I have friends that use 'txt tlk', but it takes me forever to reply due to the fact I'm having to translate it. I swear, I saw someone use an eleven-letter internet acronym. Who the hell is going to know what that means?! The only internet acronym I use is 'brb', and I barely even use that. Also, I get seriously pissed off if any of my friends (Or anyone in general.) uses the forbidden acronym. The forbidden acronym is 'lol'. xp Seriously people, 'xD' just explains it so much better than that. xp

Edit: I just realized somthing. eek I don't even click on the little emoticons on the side. I type those out, too. xDD
I usually use XD, and sometimes a smily face (Use the equals-sign for the eyes!!!). I only use acronyms in actual chat rooms, usually, not message boards. Sometimes I use "wtf?" instead of typing it out, just to avoid profanity.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

-M- Mellolicious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:03 pm
DarkElf27
Skye Misanagi

I usually use XD, and sometimes a smily face (Use the equals-sign for the eyes!!!). I only use acronyms in actual chat rooms, usually, not message boards. Sometimes I use "wtf?" instead of typing it out, just to avoid profanity.

Same.
Sucks to be 12. <___<

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:40 pm
Skye Misanagi
... Also, I get seriously pissed off if any of my friends (Or anyone in general.) uses the forbidden acronym. The forbidden acronym is 'lol'. xp Seriously people, 'xD' just explains it so much better than that. xp

Ah, you mean you don't like it when people respond with "lol" instead of an actual response to something you say. I admit I do that when I can't think of anything to say, or if what I want to say might offend the other person. I think it's better than saying "Ah" or being offensive to them.

However I can understand your frustration with it. I hate when people respond with "ah" "ic" or some s**t like that. At least type something worth reading folks! Agh... xp  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Shidobu Cloud

Dangerous Millionaire

10,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:28 pm
Shinobi 1977
Skye Misanagi
... Also, I get seriously pissed off if any of my friends (Or anyone in general.) uses the forbidden acronym. The forbidden acronym is 'lol'. xp Seriously people, 'xD' just explains it so much better than that. xp

Ah, you mean you don't like it when people respond with "lol" instead of an actual response to something you say. I admit I do that when I can't think of anything to say, or if what I want to say might offend the other person. I think it's better than saying "Ah" or being offensive to them.

However I can understand your frustration with it. I hate when people respond with "ah" "ic" or some s**t like that. At least type something worth reading folks! Agh... xp

I only type "lol" when I am actually laughing. That's only when I am chatting on MSN or something like that though, never on gaia. If I am really laughing hard I will type something like "Hahahahahahahahaha!!!" with no more than three exclamation points. As for "Ah," I really only do that if I am truely uninterested in what someone is saying but I don't want to offend them. "ic" just pisses me off, you can't even put a space in there, change the "c" to an "s" and type out "ee..." That's pathetic... I see... it takes no effort to type that.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:02 pm
Shidobu Cloud
Shinobi 1977
Skye Misanagi

I only type "lol" when I am actually laughing. That's only when I am chatting on MSN or something like that though, never on gaia. If I am really laughing hard I will type something like "Hahahahahahahahaha!!!" with no more than three exclamation points. As for "Ah," I really only do that if I am truely uninterested in what someone is saying but I don't want to offend them. "ic" just pisses me off, you can't even put a space in there, change the "c" to an "s" and type out "ee..." That's pathetic... I see... it takes no effort to type that.
What, no complaint about the non-capitalized 'I'?

Though, you really have to wonder if the idiots who type like that are worthy of a capitalized honorific anyway.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

-No Artificial Flavoring-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:40 am
Hello... popping in to put my veiw in the conversation...

I think the loss of literacy is pretty much a mix of everything mentioned. But, I have one more thing to point out. I live in Philly, where people say, "wooder, y'all, 'sup?, tight," and, one that annoys me the most, leave out the verb when saying, "You are (insert adjective here.)" It turns into something like... "you stupid!"

After observing all of these dialects, I've come to a conclusion that, things all start off with one person. For example: let's say one person has come to America from another country, and, with English as his or her second language, says things like, "You happy?" etc. He meets someone, and they talk, this someone being completely literate. They hear the way this person speaks, and, thinking it sounds nice, starts saying, "You happy?" instead of, "Are you happy?" Now, the person from the different country hears the American saying this, and, thinks for sure it's proper English, so, he or she never realizes how badly they are pronouncing or saying things. Not that it's their fault at all.

No, the fault falls on the American, who, spreads his words around. Things start to mold around this speech, and, voila! You have a grammatically challenged country.

Although, everything else you people have said is true as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:43 am
DarkElf27
Shidobu Cloud
Shinobi 1977
Skye Misanagi

What, no complaint about the non-capitalized 'I'?

Though, you really have to wonder if the idiots who type like that are worthy of a capitalized honorific anyway.

You know what though? I still keep in touch with my first grade teacher through e-mail, and, she does not use capitalization. An awful example she's setting, 'eh?

Well, either way, that doesn't make her an idiot. She's a very bright lady, who, when faced with the internet, chooses to take the path of least resistance. Poor thing. In all reality, she is quite smart and polite. So, you cannot judge someone for lack of grammar, even though it greatly annoys you, for, they can be extremely smart, when given the chance.

-No Artificial Flavoring-

Yes Em

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:55 pm
Shidobu Cloud
Shinobi 1977
Skye Misanagi

I hate chatspeak.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:53 pm
Gokan123
Shidobu Cloud
Shinobi 1977
Skye Misanagi

I hate chatspeak.

Don't we all?  

-M- Mellolicious

x-ImperfectPrincess-x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:16 pm
Well, I find it to be laziness with many, and I use to think it was pure laziness with all. Yet about a week ago my friend was doing her homework and I looked at it...she is a terrible speller. She cannot spell worth s**t. Sorry for being so straight forward but it is true. On MSN she uses "txt tlk"... I knwo alot of people who do and it is quite irritating. BUT I never thought it was do too the fact that they actually do not know how to spell the words! With most it is pure laziness, trying to type faster, stuff like that. But with others in addition to laziness, they cannot spell.
When I speak with correct grammar and such on msn, I get yelled at or critisized, for being literate, while I cannot read most of what is said. If you have the newer version of msn (7.0 or 7.5) then you will notice that there are "custom emoticons" adn those make the "txt tlkrz" ever more n00bish [Doubt that to be a real word but it sounds kool].
So bascially I find the reasoning for the illiteracy not only laziness, but lack of education.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff