Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Are tools really required? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do I need an athame?
  Yes
  No
  Doesn't matter
View Results

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:54 am
Viginti Tress
This is something I am a little iffy about. I asked this same question in a wiccan forum i am in. Because I myself was wondering if the all of the tools as well as candles were a MUST to study wicca. I mean what if you are poor? Or don't have any access to these things? Can you not communicate as well with the god and goddess as someone who has all those things?

The answer I got from seasoned wiccans is that all you really need is yourself an open mind and some visualization.

What traditions are these Wiccans members of?

The tools are necessary for the practice of Wicca. How we're defining "studying" in the context of Wicca will determine whether you need those tools.... what I mean by that is if you're studying it from the outside, studying history etc, all you need is mind and books. If you're studying it from the inside, your teachers will determine what you will require.

As far as I'm aware your coven will provide the tools you need.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:34 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Viginti Tress
This is something I am a little iffy about. I asked this same question in a wiccan forum i am in. Because I myself was wondering if the all of the tools as well as candles were a MUST to study wicca. I mean what if you are poor? Or don't have any access to these things? Can you not communicate as well with the god and goddess as someone who has all those things?

The answer I got from seasoned wiccans is that all you really need is yourself an open mind and some visualization.

What traditions are these Wiccans members of?

The tools are necessary for the practice of Wicca. How we're defining "studying" in the context of Wicca will determine whether you need those tools.... what I mean by that is if you're studying it from the outside, studying history etc, all you need is mind and books. If you're studying it from the inside, your teachers will determine what you will require.

As far as I'm aware your coven will provide the tools you need.

not every one can find a coven. i friend teaches me and she was never ever part of a coven.  

xXrainbowrazorsXx

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:03 am
Viginti Tress

As Vi said, establish that the "experienced Wiccans" you are speaking of are lineaged initiates of valid traditions. Otherwise, they're not Wiccans and have no authority to speak on the issue.

Most often people are gifted with the tools they need to practice with, as they progress as Seekers. A coven will always make sure, as best they can, that their initiates and students have the things that they need.

Communication with the Lord and Lady requires nothing but an open heart and mind. The rituals, however, are done in a set way with specific tools and methods: this is what defines Wicca, and makes it an orthopraxic faith.

So no...you don't need anything specific to talk to the Gods. The rites of Wicca, however, require certain things, and if they're done improperly or without them the ritual really can't be considered Wiccan.

xXrainbowrazorsXx

not every one can find a coven. i friend teaches me and she was never ever part of a coven.

You've said in the past you aren't Wiccan, and I'm willing to bet your friend/teacher isn't either, having never been part of a coven.

Wicca is a coven-based practice. You can't practice Wicca properly alone, and if you've never been part of a lineaged coven you don't have any way to learn what Wicca is, either.

What non-Wiccans do or don't use in magic or ritual has no effect on what Wiccans require for the proper practice of their faith.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:26 am
Morgandria
Viginti Tress

As Vi said, establish that the "experienced Wiccans" you are speaking of are lineaged initiates of valid traditions. Otherwise, they're not Wiccans and have no authority to speak on the issue.

Most often people are gifted with the tools they need to practice with, as they progress as Seekers. A coven will always make sure, as best they can, that their initiates and students have the things that they need.

Communication with the Lord and Lady requires nothing but an open heart and mind. The rituals, however, are done in a set way with specific tools and methods: this is what defines Wicca, and makes it an orthopraxic faith.

So no...you don't need anything specific to talk to the Gods. The rites of Wicca, however, require certain things, and if they're done improperly or without them the ritual really can't be considered Wiccan.

xXrainbowrazorsXx

You've said in the past you aren't Wiccan, and I'm willing to bet your friend/teacher isn't either, having never been part of a coven.

Wicca is a coven-based practice. You can't practice Wicca properly alone, and if you've never been part of a lineaged coven you don't have any way to learn what Wicca is, either.

What non-Wiccans do or don't use in magic or ritual has no effect on what Wiccans require for the proper practice of their faith.

lol well done haha

but it was to my understanding that a form of wiccan practice was solo  

xXrainbowrazorsXx

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:13 am
xXrainbowrazorsXx

lol well done haha

but it was to my understanding that a form of wiccan practice was solo

Your understanding is incorrect. 'Solitary' Wiccans are Wiccans who have been properly initiated by a coven, and for whatever reason are unable to practice with that coven. Because they are still initiates, they are still Wiccan.

During that period, however, what they practice alone cannot be considered Wicca - the rites of Wicca properly require a coven to practice. So what you end up with is a 'solitary Wiccan' who is practicing ecclectic neo-paganism until such time as they can return to coven-based practice.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:08 pm
u dont really need one but some times it works better. u could use a purified branch from a special kind of tree depending on ur spell or u could use a wand  

Arc En Licorne

5,300 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items