Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
silver ravenwolf? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like silver ravenwolf?
  yes
  no
  i've never looked into her
View Results

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:10 pm
RubyLight
whiporwill-o
ok, so we have a new gal at work who claims up and down to be a Wicca practitioner for 15 years, yet she basically worships te ground that Silver walks upon.... why does this make no sense. any respectable person of any faith would realize that Ravenwolf's work is not very credible.

SilverRavenWolf founded "The Black Forest Coven" which has many, many branches. There's even one in Flint, MI! It is often referred to as "wiccan." Is she a member of one of the Black Forest Coven's affiliates?
(You would be surprised how many respectable people have been duped by SRW. confused )

i have no idea, but as it turns out i'm friends with her sister-in-law (small world) and according to said relative she is even less credible than Silver herself... what is this world coming to!! gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:56 am
whiporwill-o
RubyLight
whiporwill-o
ok, so we have a new gal at work who claims up and down to be a Wicca practitioner for 15 years, yet she basically worships te ground that Silver walks upon.... why does this make no sense. any respectable person of any faith would realize that Ravenwolf's work is not very credible.

SilverRavenWolf founded "The Black Forest Coven" which has many, many branches. There's even one in Flint, MI! It is often referred to as "wiccan." Is she a member of one of the Black Forest Coven's affiliates?
(You would be surprised how many respectable people have been duped by SRW. confused )

i have no idea, but as it turns out i'm friends with her sister-in-law (small world) and according to said relative she is even less credible than Silver herself... what is this world coming to!! gonk

*sings* Its a small world after all... Its a small world after alll....
XD  

Ellisari

doistu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:27 pm
iChibi-Panda
doistu
iChibi-Panda

This really gets in my hair. Because of these SRW worshippers, I can't even tell my parents what I am in a respectable manner, or they'll group me with them, too. And then I'll be sent to some snooty private Catholic school to have it "beaten out of me".

Sorry for the rant. But SRW bothers me. She's a con-artist that makes me and every other Pagan look bad.

Ultimate irony.
I go to a snooty private Catholic school. I have yet to have had it beaten out of me because no one understands the concept of not belonging to a mainstream religion.
Honestly, its not that bad. A lot of the people are genuinely lovely. But due to the snooty privateness a lot more goes down within each sub-group/click. Like drugs...but thats because mummy and daddy have too much money and don't care about junior hehe

sweatdrop My point wasnt about the snooty private Catholic school beating someone out of Paganism, my point was that SRW forces sensible pagans, like me, into situations where I can't even tell my parents what I am or I either wont be taken seriously, or have it beaten out of me [By any means, not just snooty private Catholic schools ^^]

This is where I'm glad my parents aren't religious. I know so many people who talk about how hard it is to come out of the broom closet. It's very strange because my parents just don't care. No one but my OH cares and he wants to learn all about it.
I'm lucky I guess hhe  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:42 am
OH? in what relation is that to you, Because I've never heard of it.  

IceQueenMizore

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:26 am
IceQueenMizore
OH? in what relation is that to you, Because I've never heard of it.

"Other half", I'd guess.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:55 pm
Hm.. after reading all the posts here, I'm kinda glad that I've never even touched one of SRW's books.  

AgentAbhorrence

Shameless Dabbler

4,600 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Ellisari

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:45 pm
doistu
iChibi-Panda
doistu
iChibi-Panda

This really gets in my hair. Because of these SRW worshippers, I can't even tell my parents what I am in a respectable manner, or they'll group me with them, too. And then I'll be sent to some snooty private Catholic school to have it "beaten out of me".

Sorry for the rant. But SRW bothers me. She's a con-artist that makes me and every other Pagan look bad.

Ultimate irony.
I go to a snooty private Catholic school. I have yet to have had it beaten out of me because no one understands the concept of not belonging to a mainstream religion.
Honestly, its not that bad. A lot of the people are genuinely lovely. But due to the snooty privateness a lot more goes down within each sub-group/click. Like drugs...but thats because mummy and daddy have too much money and don't care about junior hehe

sweatdrop My point wasnt about the snooty private Catholic school beating someone out of Paganism, my point was that SRW forces sensible pagans, like me, into situations where I can't even tell my parents what I am or I either wont be taken seriously, or have it beaten out of me [By any means, not just snooty private Catholic schools ^^]

This is where I'm glad my parents aren't religious. I know so many people who talk about how hard it is to come out of the broom closet. It's very strange because my parents just don't care. No one but my OH cares and he wants to learn all about it.
I'm lucky I guess hhe

You are incredibly lucky.
My parents are the kind who would care.
[Not like they actively practice their Catholicism, but heeyyy any excuse to accuse me of teenage angst, and they're all for it]
....I won't get started on my father, either.
I utter the word "agnostic" [this is what I refer to myself in front of my parents. I can't tell them about my paganism, or they'd have a true freakout, but I can get away with agnostic without being sent to church] and he wigs out. Luckily for me, he doesnt wig out as much with agnostic as he would with Paganism.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:37 pm
I just started reading SRW's book: Book of Shadows for a Solitary Witch.... She makes it seem like you can call yourself a witch after reading a few chapters... as if everything there is to learn about Wicca can be summed up in one friggin book.. I thought there was an understanding that becoming a witch is a very long, and difficult journey?  

DemoniaFairy

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:47 pm
DemoniaFairy
I just started reading SRW's book: Book of Shadows for a Solitary Witch.... She makes it seem like you can call yourself a witch after reading a few chapters... as if everything there is to learn about Wicca can be summed up in one friggin book.. I thought there was an understanding that becoming a witch is a very long, and difficult journey?

Well, Wicca can't be learned from a book anyways, so you'd be right; you can't learn everything about it from one book wink . But then again, that is another one of $ilverwolf's aggravating habits - using Wicca and witchcraft interchangeably xp .

Witchcraft, same thing. I'm not a witch myself but from talking to others who do identify as witches, it takes a lot of study.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:45 pm
All the world's a stage
And the men and women merely players

Like most people here, I'm not a huge fan. I've read one of her books: there are a few good points she makes, like emphasising the importance of meditation, though she doesn't exactly give a fantastic guide on how to do this. Like a few others mentioned, she makes it seem like becoming a Witch is very easy, and seems to claim that her book is some kind of magic(k)al manual to the arcane. She frequently contradicts herself; the volume I read (To Stir a Magick Cauldron) emphasized the importance of ritual tools, and then had an afterword about how ritual tools weren't essential to the path. She includes decent information, but almost seems to be holding the reader's hand too much, giving them explicit play-by-plays on spell casting and word for word devotions. I find this approach extremely impersonal, but then again I also think that the best kind of learning is done by finding what works for you and not reading someone else's devotion aloud.

User Image

Vanya Karamazov

Kimiko no Tenshi

Shadowy Rogue

14,500 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:00 am
SRW's books were one of the first that I picked up when I first started on this path. I have, thankfully, read tons more since. At first, it was like, wow. Then it turned into...wut? Silver's books still sit on my shelf, though after reading those articles, I'm tempted to make them disappear. :/ She has some useful things in them, but for the most part, whenever I look at them I take what is written with a grain of salt. I pull what I feel may be useful and ignore the rest.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:26 pm
Kimiko no Tenshi
SRW's books were one of the first that I picked up when I first started on this path. I have, thankfully, read tons more since. At first, it was like, wow. Then it turned into...wut? Silver's books still sit on my shelf, though after reading those articles, I'm tempted to make them disappear. :/ She has some useful things in them, but for the most part, whenever I look at them I take what is written with a grain of salt. I pull what I feel may be useful and ignore the rest.

*impersonating a teacher*
And that, children, is how we ALL should read informational books. Any questions?  

IceQueenMizore

Freyis

5,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:43 pm
To be honest I can't stand SRW. She gives blatant misinformation and encourages kids to lie to their parents (the whole working with angels thing).
She was one of the first authors I read when I began researching Wicca and paganism and I regretted it after I realized that most of her information was false and I had to relearn all of it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:20 pm
♪♪ boycott love...

SRW was the first book that I, too, picked up. I'm happy I got it, because it did get me interested in witchcraft as something that real people in the real world actually did, but I'm extremely happy I didn't continue down the SRW path. It's kind of amusing how I ended up not buying a second book by her and instead picked up Green Witchcraft 1. I was at my local Barnes & Noble and there was this older couple in the New Age section with me. When they saw me browsing through SRW's book they piped up and started a conversation about the importance of getting books by more than one author. They recommended Green Witchcraft 1 to me because at the time I had the yard space for a full garden (which I miss so, so, so much. stupid apartments). Since then I've refused to accept just one author's perspective on a topic.

I kind of wish I could find that couple and tell them how appreciative I am for their advice, since as a 14 year old getting first setting foot on the path I definitely needed it. But it's been ten years and I'm in another state, so I doubt I'd be able to find them. Too bad, though.

...detox just to retox ♫♫

raging-earth

KillerQueen Bash

5,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:23 am
User Image
She's very biased, but I feel it's important for people to see many different point of views. They should, like all works, be taken with a grain of salt. I don't like her books, but I don't dislike them either.

Credit

*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games