Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magica Gothique

Back to Guilds

For those of Goth and Wiccan and/or Pagan Culture. Always looking for new members! 

Tags: Goth, Wicca, Pagan, Occult, New Age 

Reply ★ Magica Gothique ★
Goth & Parents Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akemi Idane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:15 pm
My parents are both against it, but my dad more so than my mom.
My dad associates black with druggies, dropouts, and stuff like that, and since he wants me to go to college and have a good life (both of which I plan to do), and he wants me to dress the part (namely: in colors, desert the agony boots, etc.). But this isn't the only time he's been like this, when my 10 year old (at the time) brother grew his hair longer, he got all pissed off and told him to "Cut his hair like he had a future". Then we found pictures of him when he was in high school and he had a 'fro, so that shut him up, at least for a while. But that's his main problem, and I think it's since he dosen't spend as much time with me as my mom, he dosen't really know me as well as he'd like too, so he's scared. I figure that if I was in his shoes and had grown up the way that he did, I would feel the same.
My mom, on the other hand, is pretty accepting of it. If I got into drugs or drinking or anything like that, she'd be on me in a second, but I think she knows that I'm smarter than that. She's not going to pay for another set of agony boots or anything like that, and occasionally sort of worries about it, but I'm wearing her down. I think I'm going to take the route through Hot Topic to kind of ease her into it, since I am actually looking at a lot darker stuff, and don't want to freak her out and make her not let me have anything at all.
tl:dr - My dad dosen't like it, and my mom is neutral.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:17 pm
Pink Rain Today

Does everyone here seriously consider themselves "Goth"? How silly.

Personally: Not really. Not with the culture anyway. I just like the clothes.  

Akemi Idane

Finodrerr

Beloved Vampire

9,350 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:08 am
Come with me and bless the night
Let the darkness be your salvation
Curse the day - escape the light
Break the chains of imagination

My Mum doesn't mind, she knows that I'm learning tarrot and we're into that kind of thing. She used to lace me into my corset before I lost it emo

Come with me and seize the night
Nows the time for some inspiration
Leave the day and loose the light
No taboos only new sensations...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:25 am
User Imageρℓαgυε яαтs αη∂ вℓσσ∂ч cяυмρεтs...

Loli- sounds a lot like my mum xd

Status >in want of arts

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Captain

Comrade

Sakura Dream Life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:54 pm
My parents don't really care! mrgreen

Even though I am Catholic, it doesn't really bother with my religion either. I dressed Gothic one day for church and they still accepted me. razz

I mean the Father of my church listens to what I listen too and he use to have long hair too! eek

So we are cool like that! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:21 am

Sakura- you're very lucky. I get nasty looks when I'm in a church which I'm usually only in for a funeral anyways >.<

Status >in want of arts

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Captain

Comrade

Neferet -House of Night-
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:16 pm
My parents care to some degree. Well my mum does anyway. My dad says he doesn't care if I wear my concert shirts though sometimes he does care because of how I'd be perceived in the working world. My mum thinks that by wearing concert shits that I'm a troll/trailer trash/etc. neutral But it's funny because on the weekends she really doesn't look all that presentable and her skin's orange and she looks more like what she calls me than what I do. (I'm really pale with sort of bad acne. >.<)  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:26 am
My mom and dad never had a problem with the way I dressed, but my grandmother who is very old fashioned threw a huge fit and still continues to. She called (and still sometimes calls) me a hoodlum. After high school, she was going to pay for my college, and so I moved in with her for the summer and she sent me to driving school. One day, I couldn't find my fingerless gloves and my tripp pants. She told me she threw them away. Scouring my house, I found the stuff in a trash bag in the trunk of the car, and confronted her. "I was going to show your grandfather what you used to be." I told her I was going to throw them away, and called my mom. My mom took them and hid them at her house until further notice.
A semester into college, I had been in the dorms (after putting up a fight against being a commuter with my grandmother, and had my mother bring my goth clothes over. My grandmother threw a fit, and the summer after my freshman year I couldn't take it anymore, so I left and was planning on never returning to college unless my grandmother granted me some clothing-related freedom. I won it, and now have the "right" to wear them (although she thinks I only wear them on fridays because "they will make me look bad in front of teachers." My teachers don't care and actually find them cool.
I bought a pair of fingerless gloves over the weekend and told my grandmother, and she didn't flip out (surprisingly). Honestly, I think she needs to lighten up on her old-fashioned-ness. She says that my grandfather wouldn't like them if he saw them, but I know that's a lie. He's a lot more flexible than she is and my grandmother always hides behind the "If your grandfather..." thing. I'm graduating in may of this year, and hopefully she will realize that I am an adult who can do what he wants.
Honestly, they're just pants and gloves.  

Thos Phoenix

Tipsy Hunter

7,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100

Howling_Wolf_Sings

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:15 pm
I got lucky my mom was goth before they knew what to call it but my dad on the other side is still weird about it most of the time.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:16 pm
Shea Daughter of Darkness
I got lucky my mom was goth before they knew what to call it but my dad on the other side is still weird about it most of the time.

Lucky you. 3nodding

Status >in want of arts

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Captain

Comrade

Moongrace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:59 pm

My parents did the whole "It's just a phase" thing. Now 2 years later they say I have to start wearing "normal" clothes. And no more "funky colors" in my hair. They want me to get a good job. And working at HotTopic for the rest of my life wont do.
My parents are doing the whole "No one will hire you, if you look like that." I know it is a harder to find a job. But it's not impossible.
And I don't feel like myself unless I have a bright unnatural color dyed into my hair.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:19 am
lol I'm thinking of dyeing purple highlights into my hair but then I have the same concerns... future employment...  

Adalyna

Jagger-Wolf

Eloquent Vampire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:13 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.She laughed a wicked laugh and said...

My dad was never really concerned the darker I got. His only rule was "As long as you don't hurt yourself or anyone else, you can do what you want." Be let me do almost anything I wanted.

My mother, on the other hand, wasn't as receptive. She left me and my sister with our dad when I was about nine and she was eleven, then tried to come back when I was about fourteen or fifteen. She saw what I'd become between when she left and then, and wasn't very happy. She thought it was her fault, and in a way, it was. She didn't allow me to do things I wanted when she was around, but as soon as she left I realized I had no restrictions, and I ran with it.

I wasn't allowed any tattoos or piercings as a kid, but now that I'm of age, I can do anything I want. I understand why my dad didn't let me do things like that then, and I appreciate it. I was allowed to dye my hair as I wanted, even though he didn't like it. I could wear what I wanted, I could do my makeup as I wanted, all that. He never liked me in makeup though, being as old fashioned as he is. "Why would you cover that beautiful skin with makeup?" I never wore foundation, and still don't, I just do cool eye effects, with maybe a little pale foundation to cover my freckles. sweatdrop
"Come here, let me clip your wings"User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:15 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.She laughed a wicked laugh and said...

I don't know why everyone says you can't get a job being goth. The unnatural hair colors and facial piercings are the only things that might affect you. So don't get rings in your face and keep a natural color and you're fine.

I've held down several long term jobs since I was 18, being goth. You have to know when to turn it on and off, when it's appropriate and when it's not. Besides, it's a lot more fun when you wander into work one day in your regular goth getup and none of your coworkers recognize you. Happens to me every time, and I've been at this same job going on three years now. STILL shock them. ^_^
"Come here, let me clip your wings"User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Jagger-Wolf

Eloquent Vampire

★ Magica Gothique ★

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas