Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost. A WTF moment* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RubyLight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:03 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
Then you'll understand why the Abrahamic majority can't be assed to pay attention or correct inaccurate portrayals of various Pagan practices?

Of course. I'm still annoyed by it, but I don't expect it to change. I'm trying to not let it bother me.
Quote:
I think you're giving too much credit to children's TV shows And not quite enough credit for kids once they reach a reasonable age to replace media-placed stereotypes with their own real life experiences.

Perhaps, but I'm looking at all of the reinforcement of the stereotype in continuing exposure to media. I'm simply referring to the possible point of view pre-life experience. Just how many people come across an actual witch? Of course many come to reasonable conclusions on their own. Also, many conclude that any witch is fiction. It depends on the person.
Quote:
The plot in that show is awful.

I understand that the ending was terrible as well.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:07 pm
RubyLight
Violet Song jat Shariff
Then you'll understand why the Abrahamic majority can't be assed to pay attention or correct inaccurate portrayals of various Pagan practices?

Of course. I'm still annoyed by it, but I don't expect it to change. I'm trying to not let it bother me.

-nod-
I was directing more towards the folks who were offended at the Scooby-Doo thing, if they found all inaccurate portrayals to be equally as offensive.
I don't let it bother me either...but it is interesting to consider the instances where people get up in arms about the way they're portrayed in the media, but don't bat an eye at the way other groups are.
(If that makes sense)
Quote:
Perhaps, but I'm looking at all of the reinforcement of the stereotype in continuing exposure to media. I'm simply referring to the possible point of view pre-life experience. Just how many people come across an actual witch? Of course many come to reasonable conclusions on their own. Also, many conclude that any witch is fiction. It depends on the person.

I'm not sure I see the connect between pre-life experiences and coming across an actual witch neutral
Quote:
I understand that the ending was terrible as well.

A series that bad...could anyone expect it to have a terrific ending?
xd  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

RubyLight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:38 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
I'm not sure I see the connect between pre-life experiences and coming across an actual witch

The meeting of a witch was an example of a life experience. The show influenced percption before the life experience. Am I making any sense? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:52 pm
RubyLight
Violet Song jat Shariff
I'm not sure I see the connect between pre-life experiences and coming across an actual witch

The meeting of a witch was an example of a life experience. The show influenced percption before the life experience. Am I making any sense? sweatdrop

OH.
I misinterpreted what you meant by "pre-life experience" xd
I'm sorry.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:01 pm
Ah, I'm really pleased by how this post turned out.

I'm glad everyone could get their opinion in.

Though, I will say I sort of over reacted a bit to the t.v show. I blame the virus, But it could have just been my regular womenly cycles. However, I am kinda embarressed that I even posted this. redface

Thankfully, I try not to regret anything.. So I will use this as a learning experiance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:15 pm
Hey no! It's okay. A good discussion came out of it. So it's not a dumb topic at all.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:59 pm
The first I heard of this cartoon was on amazon.com. I made the stupid mistake of starting to read the reviews, and then found myself too morbidly fascinated to stop.

There are some particularly hateful and stupid fundies, some particularly fluffy and stupid Pagans, and a lot of people upset that the bad guy was real and not some dude in a mask. Because you don't mess with Scooby Doo damnit!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:59 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
The first I heard of this cartoon was on amazon.com. I made the stupid mistake of starting to read the reviews, and then found myself too morbidly fascinated to stop.

There are some particularly hateful and stupid fundies, some particularly fluffy and stupid Pagans, and a lot of people upset that the bad guy was real and not some dude in a mask. Because you don't mess with Scooby Doo damnit!

yeah, but have you notced that all of the scooby doo movies that are any good have 'real' villains. like zombie island, where the bad guys turned themselves into soul sucking cat demons using voodoo... now i know absolutely nothing about voodoo, but i don't think you can turn yourself into a feline zombie factory by performing it xd  

whiporwill-o

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:13 pm
What's this! Criticism of Scooby Doo! scream  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:36 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
What's this! Criticism of Scooby Doo! scream

not at all, but i have to say that the newer scooby doo movies, like say, the one with pirates, was dumb. not scooby's fault, simply the writers' fault *kicks writers* they change every one's roles too *fumes*  

whiporwill-o

KillerQueen Bash

5,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:17 pm
User Image
The zombie island Scooby movie was my favorite. I used to love the shows. I never saw the entire Scooby Witch's Ghost movie, but I did catch the Wiccan/Witch part.
It's a cartoon, and I suppose that's their basis for not being factual. I'm highly offended with racial and religious stereotypes found on television and that parents teach their children. Not all Muslims are terrorists, not all witches are evil, not all witches are Wiccans, and not all Christians are fundies. I wish we had unbiased, straight-fact religious education in schools.

But maybe I'm just getting too worked up about this.

Credit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:40 pm
KillerQueen Bash
User Image
I wish we had unbiased, straight-fact religious education in schools.
color]

Credit

i understand where you're comming from. maybe like a history of religions or something like that, ut for educational purposes only. i firmly believe that school is for education and church is for religion.

((i know not all people go to church, myself included, i just used the term for arguement's sake, blame those pre-pagan "you have to go to church or the devil will get you" years xd ))  

whiporwill-o

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:50 pm
whiporwill-o
i firmly believe that school is for education and church is for religion.

Same.
I never understand people who want their faith taught in schools. It makes me wonder if they doubt the ability of their respective religious establishment (or, the parents themselves!) to do an adequate job of teaching their children about the faith.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:32 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
whiporwill-o
i firmly believe that school is for education and church is for religion.

Same.
I never understand people who want their faith taught in schools. It makes me wonder if they doubt the ability of their respective religious establishment (or, the parents themselves!) to do an adequate job of teaching their children about the faith.

the same people who knock on your front door at 6am, leave flyers on your windshield and preach to you at the grocery store checkout are the ones who think creationism should be taught as a science. you'd think that after getting doors slammed in their faces and having walmart security called on them that they'd take the hint.

on another note, i don't see why they don't find an all-knowing, all-powerful single male god, whose true name cannot be uttered, to be frightening.  

whiporwill-o

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:44 pm
whiporwill-o
the same people who knock on your front door at 6am, leave flyers on your windshield and preach to you at the grocery store checkout are the ones who think creationism should be taught as a science. you'd think that after getting doors slammed in their faces and having walmart security called on them that they'd take the hint.

on another note, i don't see why they don't find an all-knowing, all-powerful single male god, whose true name cannot be uttered, to be frightening.

I've never had to deal with the door-to-door types thankfully. Guess my area isn't big on proselytizing in general xd

Ew. Creationism. NO. Not science.
If that's science, then the story of Ymir being dismantled and made into Midgardr is also science ninja .

Eh, it just isn't to some people. I don't find him frightening. I'm just indifferent really.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games