Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Sequels, sequels, and more sequels Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:41 pm
nitnit

A long shot, but it could happen..! (which would be dumb actually)

Lol, cant wait... Final Gears: War of Fantasy. Lead protaganist Cloud Fenix. xd What a terrible game idea.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:09 pm
I don't really have a problem with sequels.

There is one company in particular, however, that seems to grind out sequels every year for every franchise they've ever made, and people still buy them by the truckloads. x_X

That company, my friends, is EA.
I know I'm probably gonna catch crap for this, but to me, they need to give all of their sports games a year off... and Need for Speed too.
I'm getting sick of that one. I like racers and all, but grinding them out EVERY YEAR just seems a tad extreme.

NFS has become like Madden. No matter what studio makes it, or what the price, people are gonna buy it when EA cranks another one out. That's just the way it is.

I can see Madden's reason because of roster updates and such, but there's no need for them to keep cranking out new NFS' when they could take every other year off and do it once every two years. But since they're making money off of it, they won't.

And the last NFS game I bought/received was Most Wanted on the PS2. Actually, that's the only one I own seeing as I can just go to my cousin's house and play ANY of the other ones at any time if I wanted to. He's what I'd classify as a NFS Freak.

And I've never purchased a Madden game a day in my life. The only EA Sports title I've ever purchased was Fight Night Round 3 for PS2.

EDIT:

OFF-TOPIC: That cousin that's a NFS Freak just texted me saying

Quote:
New ratchet and clank = sucks.
Need for speed: shift = awesome

I know some of you have played the R&C games and to me, they're way better than ANYTHING the NFS franchise has to offer. Granted, they're two different genres, but it just kinda burns me up that someone in my own family is such a NFS Freak. ><

Georgia Gator

Hilarious Genius

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:32 am
Well games like Madden i think do need to be released every year. I mean rosters change and players retire. I mean now you could change everything via online updates, but back then you couldnt. I say pick your year wisely when it comes to yearly releases such as the Madden franchises(which its NFL contract is almost over).  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:05 am
Yeah, I know they could do the updates online now if they really wanted to. But they're making $60 a pop for each one they sell for the new system. Plus you know it's like the highest selling game for the month of August EVERY YEAR. lol

When does EA's contract with the NFL end? Reason I ask is because if 2K Sports can make another one seeing as if EA doesn't renew, I'd buy that one instead of Madden.

Georgia Gator

Hilarious Genius

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:13 am
Yeah, the roster excuse is pretty null and void thanks to downloads. In reality, almost any reasonable person would agree that there probably aren't enough league changing changes every season to warrant them ripping 60$ out of every sports fan's pocket each year.

Whatever though, I certainly don't buy the games, so whoever can afford to buy them every year go right ahead.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:58 am
nitnit
Whatever though, I certainly don't buy the games, so whoever can afford to buy them every year go right ahead.

I second that. xD

Georgia Gator

Hilarious Genius

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:29 am
Yeah. I've realized that even though I enjoy bitching about how we're getting ripped off and quality RPGs are disappearing very quickly... money speaks, and as long as I support my cause by not buying this crap, there's not too much else I can do (other than write reviews pointing out why said games are overhyped)  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:54 am
i wouldnt say quality RPGs are dissapearing. They are kinda changing in a way that you wouldnt consider them a RPG or its taking longer to develop.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Lah Cupcake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:08 pm
No they're dissapearing. The only thing that is coming out with an rpg is Final Fantasy.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:37 pm
What about games like Last Remnant? or Lost Oddysey. Theres also Blue Dragon which can be bought cheap now. Star Ocean: The Last Hope(i think thats the name) is out now, Tales of Vesparia, and theres a few others. These are just on the 360 alone. And most of them are a little above average. These are just JRPGs.

For american rpg's theres Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, and others i cant name at the top of my head.

I mean for a console thats hyped up to be only for FPS fans, the 360 has a bigger library of RPGs than the PS3.

I dont think they are dieing, just not so many companies that really want to make them. Also, i dont think many can afford to make them anymore due to development costs.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:29 am
Fallout 3 and Mass Effect are primarily action shooting / sci fi magic combat games. Not saying they're bad, but they really are action games with a level up system and quests.

I don't know enough about Last Remnant or Lost Oddysey to really comment, and Star Ocean is a solid JRPG I suppose. What I'm really referring to are the epic western RPGs we used to have, like what Black Isle and Obsidian used to make.

But. Those don't really sell as well I suppose. Too steep a learning curve for the average gamer to get into, and requires too much foresight and appreciation for story/dialogue, lulz.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff