Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Welcome Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

village midget

Fanatical Smoker

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:34 am
Kaz-Balan
DioxazinePlum
Welcome to Gaian Discourse! I'm looking forward to watching this guild grow into a community.

I greatly appreciate your attempt at offering some refuge to people like me who may ( all too rightly, of late ) feel disgusted with ED.

However, I know being free asks for fighting, and staying in some refuge is definitely not my style.

I strongly advise you to aim at more than simply having some community growing, here.

Real debates are organized discussions, asking for some ingredients, like :

. The initial poster stating clearly some subject to be discussed, what is known about it ( Wiki may help ), how it is considered by the poster ( personal views ), what aspects seem debatable, what points are to be debated, exactly

. Clear and simple rules for the debaters to agree on before even typing anything in the thread, like staying on-topic, polite, not posting uselessly long posts or mere ( and too long, far too often ) quotes from books or other sources, trying to make or to defend cleverly and calmly some point, not letting emotions rule over reason...
Short version : any rule ( according to the initial poster's sense for dialogue ) that may help getting some interesting ( mainly because possibly shared and instructive ) conclusions, that had better be summed up back in the first post

. Please notice humour, irony, sarcasm, provocation, or even worse approaches should be considered valid ways of bringing some points into the discussion, provided they're used with at least some intelligence

. The initial poster should be granted at least some minimal responsibility on his/her thread, by being given the right to delete an offender's post, by answering about the way the debate is conducted, at least to the one(s) responsible for the Guild's quality and interest

. Proofs should not be mandatory, and even less asked at every turn, for such a behaviour shows the proof-maniac has neither curiosity, nor a very set mind on the matter ( otherwise, some counter-argument or formal refutation would have been expressed, instead ), and abusively considers the thread may be disrupted at any time, even for the silliest reason, only to have someone bringing a "proof" ( that won't even be read or considered, sometimes !... )

I also love mere cool discussions, if I learn something, or if I'm presented some original thoughts.

I just do not bear stupidity anymore.

But if this guild is only to become one among the numerous ones already created all along the years "to escape idiocy", and to be ending as some dumb bumping place or deserted, just like too many other ones, no, thanks, I'm not interested.

I was not considering creating threads here, and I now quit this guild, but I leave THIS post here, as a reminder.

You may laugh about anything...
...just not with everyone.

OutB4 other invites...
what on earth was the point of that rant? slight delusions of grandeur methinks...  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:43 pm
Fresnel
magmayoshi
Fresnel
O hai. Looks like I've been invited. Nice to know ED remembers me even though I mostly shun it. I hope it'll be better here...

I got invited too 3nodding
It currently looks like it's mostly ED regulars here.
The forum appears to have mostly ED relevant stuff, without the war-like atmosphere or the invading trolls. So yes, lets hope it stays like this. ninja
We should invite Funliver. It's not ED without him.

No...just....no...  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff