Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Celebrity News - Who cares? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:02 pm
mistercombine
black_wing_angel
Meet Your Mistress
The secret source of humor is not joy but sorrow;

Elweezy
DioxazinePlum
Do you follow celebrity news? Why or why not?

Do you think its an invasion of their privacy or their duty as a public figure?

Are we just a superficial society?

I assume you are talking about America and I cannot speak about any other country.

Plain and simple, we love drama and the very occassional bad news. It actually makes some people feel better about their lives.

The media has gotten lazy and used this an excuse not to get any real news. They need ratings and we love shanigans.

Agreed.

But, gossip shows and websites are a worldwide crap. And feel lucky to be in America. Where I am, I have to stand the rubbish shows from Argentina, and another countries around there. Which are much lamer.

It´s the same subject as in America, but with a third-world mindset.

there is no humor in Heaven. Mark Twain

Ouch. And I thought it was bad in America. I can't imagine a "3rd world" perspective...

It just seems like... like.... Wow. Probably some news on the "Immoral habits of the Opposition Party". Yeah. Like that.

Maybe....  
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:09 pm
The United States of America isn't the only country that likes gossip and drama. You don't think the rest of the world likes to follow the lives of their celebrities? I'll give you a good example. Latin America and other Hispanic countries have paparazzi that follow its celebrities everywhere. They have T.V. shows that dedicate an hour or two to celebrity gossip. They follow their award shows and reality T.V. show celebrities. Take a look on the channels Telefutura, Telemundo, and Univision. Each of these stations has their equivalent of TMZ and Access Hollywood. In fact, look up "Escandolo TV" and "El Gordo y La Flaca". They follow their celebrities with glee.

Celebrities are dependent on publicity. They are people who work in the spot light. Some don't even mind the paparazzi at all because they accepted the fact that some of their privacy would be sacrificed for fame and money. Is there a line that the paparazzi shouldn't cross? Yes. However, it's rather ironic that there are celebrities that go through great lengths not to be seen out in public, considering their careers are dependent upon it. They should have known the disadvantages of becoming famous in the first place.

Heaven Bloody Sunday

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:26 am
Heaven Bloody Sunday
The United States of America isn't the only country that likes gossip and drama. You don't think the rest of the world likes to follow the lives of their celebrities? I'll give you a good example. Latin America and other Hispanic countries have paparazzi that follow its celebrities everywhere. They have T.V. shows that dedicate an hour or two to celebrity gossip. They follow their award shows and reality T.V. show celebrities. Take a look on the channels Telefutura, Telemundo, and Univision. Each of these stations has their equivalent of TMZ and Access Hollywood. In fact, look up "Escandolo TV" and "El Gordo y La Flaca". They follow their celebrities with glee.

Celebrities are dependent on publicity. They are people who work in the spot light. Some don't even mind the paparazzi at all because they accepted the fact that some of their privacy would be sacrificed for fame and money. Is there a line that the paparazzi shouldn't cross? Yes. However, it's rather ironic that there are celebrities that go through great lengths not to be seen out in public, considering their careers are dependent upon it. They should have known the disadvantages of becoming famous in the first place.

Well, there's a "time and place" for celebrity following, and for giving them their privacy.

I mean, let's say YOU were just sitting in your house, making out with your wife (work with me here..), and just as things are getting "good", there's a bright flash, and some guy's taking pictures of you, so he can sell them online.

You're not going to be too happy, are you? Celebrities DO know the price, and, at first, they do accept it. However, when you've had YEARS without decent privacy, that's when it finally sets in how bad you ******** up, getting famous.

Most of those celebrities that go to great lengths to be unseen, are people who've been in the spotlight for a while.

And it's no secret that a lot of papparazzi members like to cross the line, as much as possible. Hell, they LOVE being complete ******** kinda why I support the idea of a law setting strict standards for papparazzi activity, and, upon infringement, the offender has to immediately forfeit ANY AND ALL profit gained from the offense, past, present, and future, in addition to paying a handsome fine and/or prison time.

Give them a REASON to watch themselves.  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:35 am
black_wing_angel
Heaven Bloody Sunday

Well, there's a "time and place" for celebrity following, and for giving them their privacy.

I mean, let's say YOU were just sitting in your house, making out with your wife (work with me here..), and just as things are getting "good", there's a bright flash, and some guy's taking pictures of you, so he can sell them online.

You're not going to be too happy, are you? Celebrities DO know the price, and, at first, they do accept it. However, when you've had YEARS without decent privacy, that's when it finally sets in how bad you ******** up, getting famous.

Most of those celebrities that go to great lengths to be unseen, are people who've been in the spotlight for a while.

And it's no secret that a lot of papparazzi members like to cross the line, as much as possible. Hell, they LOVE being complete ******** kinda why I support the idea of a law setting strict standards for papparazzi activity, and, upon infringement, the offender has to immediately forfeit ANY AND ALL profit gained from the offense, past, present, and future, in addition to paying a handsome fine and/or prison time.

I liked the idea of forcing the paparazzi to have every celebrity in the photo OK it before they could use it. That way, photos like the one you mentioned above would just be a waste of time and film.  

Fresnel

Citizen

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:45 am
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Heaven Bloody Sunday

I liked the idea of forcing the paparazzi to have every celebrity in the photo OK it before they could use it. That way, photos like the one you mentioned above would just be a waste of time and film.

Yes, but the problem with that, is that, if they didn't get permission, they can still post them online.

Sure, they get sued, and all, but there needs to be a law guaranteeing that the victim gets ALL the profits, otherwise, the offender can still maintain their own profits, after the lawsuit is paid up. If the lawsuit costs them $50,000, but they get $80,000 for the picture, then they still profit.

There has to be a law that guarantees that they can not profit, at all, to render the entire act, completely, utterly worthless.  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:48 am
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Heaven Bloody Sunday

Yes, but the problem with that, is that, if they didn't get permission, they can still post them online.

Sure, they get sued, and all, but there needs to be a law guaranteeing that the victim gets ALL the profits, otherwise, the offender can still maintain their own profits, after the lawsuit is paid up. If the lawsuit costs them $50,000, but they get $80,000 for the picture, then they still profit.

There has to be a law that guarantees that they can not profit, at all, to render the entire act, completely, utterly worthless.
That's how most of those lawsuits generally go. Sue for pain and suffering (if the photo is embarrassing), illegal use of likeness for monetary gain, and the profits thereof.  

Fresnel

Citizen

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:55 am
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Heaven Bloody Sunday

That's how most of those lawsuits generally go. Sue for pain and suffering (if the photo is embarrassing), illegal use of likeness for monetary gain, and the profits thereof.

Yeah, but putting a law especially for paparazzi, would be more threatening to them. Frankly "being sued" doesn't scare them. But adding in a risk of prison time, might help them stay in line.  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:01 am
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Heaven Bloody Sunday

Yeah, but putting a law especially for paparazzi, would be more threatening to them. Frankly "being sued" doesn't scare them. But adding in a risk of prison time, might help them stay in line.
I'd be wary of that though. Some guy takes a picture of his wife, catches a minor Paraguayan celebrity in the background, posts it MySpace, someone sees, lawsuit ensues...  

Fresnel

Citizen

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:08 am
Well, I'm talking about there being STRICT regulations. If it can be deemed as "innocent", then no harm, no foul. In your case, the "subject" of the photo, appears to be the wife, not the celebrity, so there would be no harm done. And it would be rather unlikely that the celebrity would be doing anything worth complaining about, in such a public enviornment.

Also, posting it on myspace is not selling it. so there's no profit to have to fork over.

I'm talking about situations where it's clearly intentional. If you're taking photos of the inside of a celebrity's house, there really isn't a legitimate explanation for that, so you get knicked.  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:04 pm
after all the hype about Princess Diana being "killed" by the paparazzi, (who alledgedly prompted the chauffeur of the car to drive faster and caused the crash) i thought it was all being blown out of proportion. then one day someone i knew told me her father was friends with the chief editor of a British national newspaper and he had bought some pretty nasty photos from a paparazzi photographer.

they were taken through the sun-roof of the car of Princess Di, which means they must have literally climbed on the roof of the car to photograph her as she literally was dying, nobody called an ambulance until the shots had been achieved...which is pretty sick. This newspaper editor had bought the pictures and the negatives for a lot of money to prevent them from being sold and published elsewhere because he percieved them to be too distressing, which might be the only course of action to prevent the images from being circulated?  

village midget

Fanatical Smoker

Heaven Bloody Sunday

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:17 pm
black_wing_angel
Heaven Bloody Sunday

And it's no secret that a lot of papparazzi members like to cross the line, as much as possible. Hell, they LOVE being complete ********!

That's kinda why I support the idea of a law setting strict standards for papparazzi activity, and, upon infringement, the offender has to immediately forfeit ANY AND ALL profit gained from the offense, past, present, and future, in addition to paying a handsome fine and/or prison time.

You have a point. I agree that the paparazzi can be a*******. A lot of them go too far in order to get the picture they need to receive the bucks. There should be stricter standards for their activity, as they do tend to endanger drivers, for Pete's sake.

That being said, yes, I would be bothered if my privacy was invaded all the time. Nevertheless, if I was a very famous celebrity I would have security installed on my property (guards, fences, posts, you name it) in the first place. I would be making the sufficient amount to afford it.

You have another point in that celebrities do get tired of all the attention. They are human, just like everyone else, and thus are prone to throwing a fit about it. Unfortunately, it's something that comes with the territory. Being famous will always have its disadvantages. There will always be fans willing to pay money for magazines with celebrity gossip in it. There will always be fans interested in viewing celebrity snapshots online. Fans always trying to get an autograph or get in a compliment or two while one's on a break, or simply dining out. It's just the reality of the situation. Is it fair? No, it's not. Then again, life isn't fair. The fans demand photos, making the magazines and websites demand those photos in order for their stuff to sell, thus creating an opportunity for the paparazzi to do whatever it takes in order to get that snapshot that will earn them some dough that the magazines and websites are willing to pay in order to give the fans what they want.  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:53 pm
You know what'll solve this problem once and for all? A papparazzo finally sneaks into someone's house to get a picture and gets shotgun'd in the face for home invasion. That'll be the first real message that they need to start backing the ******** down.  

Fresnel

Citizen

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:21 am
Fresnel
You know what'll solve this problem once and for all? A papparazzo finally sneaks into someone's house to get a picture and gets shotgun'd in the face for home invasion. That'll be the first real message that they need to start backing the ******** down.

My thoughts, exactly.

And if it doesn't clear the water for ALL celebrities, they sure as ******** won't be spying on that guy.

Although, let's face it, there would be a shitstorm of controversy over "*Celebrity* IS A MURDERER!" and other such asshattery.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:27 am
black_wing_angel
Fresnel

My thoughts, exactly.

And if it doesn't clear the water for ALL celebrities, they sure as ******** won't be spying on that guy.

Although, let's face it, there would be a shitstorm of controversy over "*Celebrity* IS A MURDERER!" and other such asshattery.
Eh, then I hope it's Britney who does it. You know she'd cream herself over a shitstorm like that.  

Fresnel

Citizen

MayIHelpYou22102

5,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:37 am
black_wing_angel
Fresnel

My thoughts, exactly.

"Not even. Chances are the b*****d got a picture with the celebrity with a shot gun and the police "accidentally" leaks it to the media. rolleyes Paparazzi already instigate fights so they have an angry picture of a celebrity."

Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff