Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Naruto Guild
(TOPIC CLOSED!) Low On Chakra: Has America Ruined Naruto? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like the American dubbed version?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Reticence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:06 pm

I was always concerned about the "Dettebayo" phrase myself. My friends and I always wanted to know what it translated to for the subtitles never seemed to emphasize it at all. So if one of you could fill me in on the basic meaning of the phrase it would be most appreciated...

I am starting to watch it more and more now though, after all. It IS Naruto. I have been looking into how they approach things in the English version compared to that of the Japanese, and some discoveries have proved to be quite interesting. But only if you're bored enough ^_^:;

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:11 am
I happen to find the Dub interesting, I mean there is a few things about the voices I would rather not hear and the 'Believe it" thing just annoys to insanity because of the amount of times he say's the damned thing.

Another thing would be the whole "English Name Jutsu" thing, it annoys me because they have a strange combination of sentances... Which don't make sense.. Why can't they just stick with one language? O_o  

Kuroi Ryuuka

BluedragonJade

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:41 am
When I first saw the dubbed version of Naruto I think I like broke down and started screaming at the television. My fiancee a new naruto fan even hated it he just twitched at everything if it wasn't his TV I think I would of thrown it out of the window. And Actually Naruto's voice is an old woman. My friend looked it up.....*shudder* I really really don't want to see what they're going to do when Gaara gets there...I refuse to watch it....  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:31 am
squalltheknight
Captain Verd
Dude, Haku's voice is girly in the JV anyways. Naruto is a boy going through ouberty, and Sasuke's voice actually sounds better.

Yes, Iruka's voice does suck, and Naruto's VA isn't very good either, but they're nothing to b***h about.

Also, "Believe it" is just like saying "dattebayo". I'm sure if we were all natively Japanese, that would annoy us just as much. But it's still what he says. Believe it is in there BECAUSE of dattebayo.

The names aren't pronounced wrong, on a whole. Kakashi is, yeah, but Sakura, Sasuke, Naruto, Zabuza, and Haku are fine. It just so happens it's not the actor's first language. At least they're trying.
but naruto doesnt say "dattebayo" all as often as "believe it" i mean..i only remember a few times spanning through episodes 130-158
Maybe you should listen more closely? He ends alot of sentances with it, since it's part of his regular speech.

Dattebayo doesn't have a sepcific meaning, it's just something you can put at the end of certain sentances. It usually suggests enthusiasm, or an extroverted person. 'Believe it' was probably the best choice for its replacement.

Actually, I've only heard Gaara's VA once, but I've heard he's not a bad VA.  

Captain Verd

squalltheknight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:39 am
Captain Verd
squalltheknight
Captain Verd
Dude, Haku's voice is girly in the JV anyways. Naruto is a boy going through ouberty, and Sasuke's voice actually sounds better.

Yes, Iruka's voice does suck, and Naruto's VA isn't very good either, but they're nothing to b***h about.

Also, "Believe it" is just like saying "dattebayo". I'm sure if we were all natively Japanese, that would annoy us just as much. But it's still what he says. Believe it is in there BECAUSE of dattebayo.

The names aren't pronounced wrong, on a whole. Kakashi is, yeah, but Sakura, Sasuke, Naruto, Zabuza, and Haku are fine. It just so happens it's not the actor's first language. At least they're trying.
but naruto doesnt say "dattebayo" all as often as "believe it" i mean..i only remember a few times spanning through episodes 130-158
Maybe you should listen more closely? He ends alot of sentances with it, since it's part of his regular speech.

Dattebayo doesn't have a sepcific meaning, it's just something you can put at the end of certain sentances. It usually suggests enthusiasm, or an extroverted person. 'Believe it' was probably the best choice for its replacement.

Actually, I've only heard Gaara's VA once, but I've heard he's not a bad VA.
...yeah i guess i probably have missed it a bit...the only time i really first noticed naturo say "dattebayo" was when they where going after sasuke and shikamaru helped naruto get past weird flute lady...only to run into kimimaro...only then did i start noticing it a lot  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:12 pm
I agree! Totally! The English dub is awful! I especially dislike what they did with the opening and closing themes. domokun  

Wolfen Marquee

aznnam3dj1n

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:41 pm
I have to say somethings you guys say indeed do make sense. For instance "Believe it" is annoying since he says it alot must agree to that. But though I hate it I still watch the dub. I still watch the sub not matter what even though those are dub the original VA's are their true voices. Besides if you guys hate it that mauch and knew it was going to be crappy than you guys should've not watch it at all. Just keep watching the subs and when dvd's come out just buy it and change the eng to jap. Besides I still need to see how the other voices turns out and sometimes the company that dub anime in eng would get new voice actors to replace the old ones, DBZ is an example.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:45 pm
Wolfen-Chan
I agree! Totally! The English dub is awful! I especially dislike what they did with the opening and closing themes. domokun
i hear ya...toonami always (vulgar language alert) ******** s**t's up the intro and endings of all their anime stressed  

squalltheknight

Sasuke_ Uchiha_Venture

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:50 pm
missing nin itachi
Hey I actually like the dub, the voices to me do sound somewhat to what they were in the sub and unless Im mistaken, in the sub Haku did have a girly voice. As far as taking out the kissing and the hand stab scenes I say it's not like they didnt acknowledge it. I do have to say having Naruto say "belive it" 20 times an episode is pretty annoying but I think they have cut it down some, like at parts you'd think he would say it, he dosent. All in all I personally like the dub and all of you who dont are just looking for something to hate just because it's a dub.
i'm with nurse boy (thats you missing nin itachi, 'casue of your hat) seriouely, sure the voice overs are retarted, but I found a faint resemblance to the japanese voices, and the beleve it thing isn't annoying in the show, if you wanna see the phrase "beleve it!" used in an annoying way, please take the time out to travel to California, trhe head for south san fransisco, then look for the school Parkay heights middle school, and then look at the kids in the lower section of the building, and look at all the kids wearing naruto headbands,(you might even find me^^) and then listen to what they say after each sentence, you'll hear a familiar phrase, im pretty sure you all know what that phrase is, if you accually do what I just said, (which I highly doubt you have time to do) im the guy with the black headband covering his eye and has his black hair in bangs, one covering the part of the headband thats covering the eye(double covers!!!it's hard to see, I bumped into a girl once, to make things worse, it was the girl I liked and when she saw me dressed like this 2 days after holoween, I doubt she'll be talking to em anytime soon...)and that'll be me, im the only one that dresses like that, all black and gray, and with a black headband, most peaple have blue ones, and im the only one with a sound village one, everyone else took the leaf village ones, apparantly, what they dont know, they wont buy, well, that was alot of imformation about me, this conversation never happened  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:16 am
im not really looking for something to hate...about the dub, hell if at all possible id love to like all of the naruto stuff, being the dub too...its just the stuff they cut out and a little bit of the bad times for the voice actors...but what i always have really hated...is what they do to the intro and ending...i just had forgotten about it till wolfen-chan brought it up...and i remembered...toonami sucks at making their own into/endings...so they should just stick to the original...since it sounds a lot better and besides whats wrong with children hearing a little japanese music eh? i mean its not gonna do anything to them that grand theft auto wont (much less even a game like super smash bros...) it just awesome music and cool animation!!! "kage no hodoki..." i mean what is that gonna do to someone!? maybe just make them want to learn japanese... ninja i think i've said my part...or maybe talked a little too much... xp  

squalltheknight

BluedragonJade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:26 am
I agree with with Squall there is nothing wrong with the intro and the ending songs other than they may be a little long so just like cut them off but at least give them a chance to play.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:43 pm
BluedragonJade
I agree with with Squall there is nothing wrong with the intro and the ending songs other than they may be a little long so just like cut them off but at least give them a chance to play.
yeah like what they did with trigun and gundam wing! (like the only good thing they did...) ...well at least when they still had intros for gundam wing... ( that intro was so cool)  

squalltheknight

Reticence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:02 pm

Very good points from all of you. But, I still miss the original beginnings and endings...
Although to someone who has never seen it before the American one, it wouldnt matter much~

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:27 am
Reticence

Very good points from all of you. But, I still miss the original beginnings and endings...
Although to someone who has never seen it before the American one, it wouldnt matter much~
true...but im sure if they ever found out...they'd be rather pissed...  

squalltheknight

Reticence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:04 pm
Haha. Most likely x3~  
Naruto Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items