Submit

Are we becoming a junior America?
  Yes
  No
View Results

weeping pixie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:53 pm
DNA_Guru
He'll retire next term anyway, and then we might just have the glorious Peter Costello at the helm.

*shiver*  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:18 am
DNA_Guru
He'll retire next term anyway, and then we might just have the glorious Peter Costello at the helm.

Not if he thinks he's going to win... oh wait. Oh my, he's been waiting for this. He was waiting for a double house majority so he could put through reforms which would lose him the next election. But he doesn't care, because he's retiring!

b*****d! scream  

WellzY
Crew

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:54 am
That was one of my thoughts actually. Doesn't mean that the Coalition will get elected back in. They ******** up big time.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:44 pm
By next election, there'll be a generally anti-Coalition group now eligible to vote. Fingers crossed for the lesser of two evils. gonk  

Hermit of the Hills

thegreatvincenzo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:44 pm
DNA_Guru
nrasjaa
, over paid, over drunk and over sexed 3nodding
And over here if I recall. I'm pretty sure that's a common expression Australians used when the Yanks were over here during World War II.

and the British.

and for my opinion, we seem like that becouse we have western culture, if we had easter or middle easter cultre we would be saying be are becomming a little China or Morroco. So i guess it is inevitable that this is happening, but just becouse they are teh main producers of our culture stuff. I would have to a gree somewhat but we are still indervidual in other ways, good beer, knowleg or geography and not hating everyone.

meh. confused

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:03 am
I got into trouble with some friends last time i said "We're becoming another america.

So i thought up a new theory about it.

America is only the Tip of the sword driving into the body that is the future of Culture and Society, followed by Britan, Europe, then Australia somewere down the length, with the rest of the countries, be they 2nd or 3rd world making up the Handle etc. etc.

In reality the World, australia included is not Becoming a Clone of America, The world is Simply changing into a more Standard, Uniformed culture due to the Expanding Telecomunication technology and other things like this, America being the Tip of the blade, Simply has the ability to leave impressions on those Changes. Making it seem like we are indeed becoming another america. If Australia was a Super power, Im sure there would be a discussion "Are we becoming to Australianised?" somewhere.

Hope i havnt confused anyone with my Twisted theory.  

WarriorShadow

Demonic_Angel_89

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:34 am
neo-hippy
Does anyone else think that we are slowly being invaded my America. Not with a war way but how we talk, what we watch, what we eat, what we believe, what we wear, what we know, etc.

Personally I see it everywhere and I think we are looking like a junour America especially around the waist line. What do you think?

ok well i don't think that the word invaded is a good word but i do agree with the fact that we are becoming more like america. for anyone in nsw you all must know about the orbitol or M7 that is a typical example of america's "clover-leaf" freeways, highways etc. i will however state that australia is australia we're unique and we always will b so no matter how much we try/become america we all no that deep down we're not a bunch of rednecks or americans we're aussies all the way 3nodding biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:23 am
WarriorShadow
I got into trouble with some friends last time i said "We're becoming another america.

America is only the Tip of the sword driving into the body that is the future of Culture and Society, followed by Britan, Europe, then Australia somewere down the length, with the rest of the countries, be they 2nd or 3rd world making up the Handle etc. etc.

In reality the World, australia included is not Becoming a Clone of America, The world is Simply changing into a more Standard, Uniformed culture due to the Expanding Telecomunication technology and other things like this, America being the Tip of the blade, Simply has the ability to leave impressions on those Changes. Making it seem like we are indeed becoming another america. If Australia was a Super power, Im sure there would be a discussion "Are we becoming to Australianised?" somewhere.

Bloody genius.

I think that actually makes sense.

Let's all throw pencil shavings in the air in honour of WarriorShadow's tanfastic theory.

I like it whee

. c i n n a m o n .

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:41 am
thegreatvincenzo
and for my opinion, we seem like that becouse we have western culture, if we had easter or middle easter cultre we would be saying be are becomming a little China or Morroco. So i guess it is inevitable that this is happening, but just becouse they are teh main producers of our culture stuff. I would have to a gree somewhat but we are still indervidual in other ways, good beer, knowleg or geography and not hating everyone.

meh. confused

Okay, on that reasoning we should be as much British, French, Dutch, Swedish, Italian, Greek, Canadian, German, etc as we are American. They are all 'western' nations, why isn't our influence being gained from them.
What do you refer to by culture stuff? Australia is reknowned for it's multiculturalism so why is that we are somehow being conformed to an American culture?
In Melbourne, there are more Greeks than any other city other than Athens, why is it then we do not so much have their influence?
I really think Television is a poor excuse for arguing a culture shift, there has to be more than that. I'm sorry but Television only just doesn't cut it.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:51 am
Fuzzy Mullet
Who cares?
Racist people. >(

Racist? I dont think so. I dont have anything againsed Americans personally, it is just the nations attitude and how they feel they are doing us a favor of spreading the American way of life.  

neo-hippy

neo-hippy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:53 am
WarriorShadow

I like the way you think.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:57 am
WarriorShadow

It's called globalisation hun, and unfortunately, it's been around for a good deal longer than you've been I'm affraid. sweatdrop

Globalisation impies a complete cultural assault. That includes more than just TV, but also radio, music, language, helped also through the use of the internet, and computers, always set standardised to US English. rolleyes

And of course, the other large player is politics.  

WellzY
Crew

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:09 am
Oh ffs. Hippy, you're getting a strike. Double post. I don't appreciate it, nor does the guild.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:47 pm
DNA_Guru
Oh ffs. Hippy, you're getting a strike. Double post. I don't appreciate it, nor does the guild.

rolleyes  

WellzY
Crew

neo-hippy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:11 am
DNA_Guru

I'm sorry sad , I'll be sure to not allow it to happen again.  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff