Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Spell checkers, boon or bane? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spell checkers, boon or bane?
  They are great. They help me catch mistakes I would never be able to catch on my own.
  They encourage laziness and let homophones escape.
  They are good, but should not be used a substitute for proof reading.
View Results

AilurusRed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:10 pm
Most of the time I need spell checkers. I am slightly dyslexic, and so when I proofread, often my eyes won't pick up on typos or spelling mistakes because I will read them as correct. I am also a horrible speller, or rather I am average at spelling by American standards, and so I need a spell checker because there are a lot of words that I just don't know how to spell and it is much easier to use a spell checker then look up 3 dozen words in the dictionary for a school paper.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:44 am
I use spell check on MS Word all the time. But first I proofread the essay or whatever by myself. Since spell check can't really correct grammar I have to correct it, or send it to a friend. I also find the red and green squiggly lines quite useful.  

KiraLight

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:40 pm
Well, I avoid the laziness by formatting my spellchecker so that it doesn't automatically correct my words. When I'm done typing whatever I need to type, I correct grammatically wrong sentences, correct misspelled words, reread the entire thing so that it sounds correct.

Spell check is not all that great. If you type something wrong and the thing you typed happened to be a word, it misses it. That's why I always reread.  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:53 am
First off, the grammar setting is almost always absolutely awful (at least on Microsoft Word, anyway). It's pure crap.

Second, the only thing spell-checks are good for is as an accessory to a good proof-read. Not only do they let through homonyms, but if a word does not happen to be in a database, they often change it automatically (this became a source of great frustration for me when I tried to type up a paper about Atalanta the huntress). Also, proofreading is obviously better for picking up grammatical issues, flow issues, and problems with the actual content (overuse of a certain word, logistical issues, flawed arguments, etc.). Spell-check is no substitute for having a friend go over your paper, and nor should it be.  

Sola Catella

ringwraith10

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:19 am
For me, spell checkers are the ultimate waste of time and energy. Not only do they tell me that I've spelled words wrong that are, in fact, correct, but it also "corrects" my grammar when I've made no mistakes. I see no good use for them; I rely on my own ability to proofread what I've written.  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:22 am
Sola Catella
First off, the grammar setting is almost always absolutely awful (at least on Microsoft Word, anyway). It's pure crap.

Second, the only thing spell-checks are good for is as an accessory to a good proof-read. Not only do they let through homonyms, but if a word does not happen to be in a database, they often change it automatically (this became a source of great frustration for me when I tried to type up a paper about Atalanta the huntress). Also, proofreading is obviously better for picking up grammatical issues, flow issues, and problems with the actual content (overuse of a certain word, logistical issues, flawed arguments, etc.). Spell-check is no substitute for having a friend go over your paper, and nor should it be.
3nodding  

ringwraith10

talkintree

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:35 pm
Yes, they do promote laziness, but I would hate to have to search through the old 1000 page dictionary. BOO!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:33 am
I love the things, but I almost never use a program that has a half decent one. So I use Merrium-Webster, which I happen to like better than dictionary.com.  

GabbySilverwood

Gigglypuff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:39 pm
Spell checkers can be very helpful, because a lot of times we don't catch small mistakes. However, they aren't good if you want to improve your typing skills. Spell checker automatically capitalizes the first word of every sentence, for example. So, people have stopped capitalizing the first word, and just type it like all the others. Things like these promote laziness. So I guess spell checker is good, but shouldn't be depended on. And, as mostly everyone has said here, it doesn't catch everything and corrects things that don't need corrections.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:14 pm
I'm going to have to say, that it's hard to find spelling mistakes sometimes. On those days, I use the spell checker. And I use the spell checker if I'm not sure about weather I spelled something properly. I like to think of it as a profreeding tool. biggrin  

Obito Sharingan Uchiha

Aelia TKC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:10 am
Honestly, I use the spell checker in microsoft word a lot but at the same time, when in doubt, I trust myself more than it; I have fairly good grammar and (for the most part) excellent spelling.

Spell checkers are not a replacement for human proofreading- more people need to remember this. It's not meant to fix everything for you, and it certainly isn't perfect. Nonsensical sentences get through all the time, and the grammar check is atrocious.

I do believe that it is promoting laziness in some ways, and that needs to get fixed, but pulling spell checkers from word processing programs is not the answer. *sigh* I wish I could say I knew what was.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:25 am
I like spell checkers, but I also agree that it does increase laziness. Proof reading is probably the best method to use.  

[ falling`star ]

Embodiment Of The Living

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:02 am
Hmm, I am not sure on the topic of Spell-checkers, because they help with spelling, as the name implies, but they also encourage us Americans to become even the more lazier. Just whe I thought Americans could not any lazier, sitting with our bums glued to the chair, our eyes pratically stuck on the Televisions...

We do not even excerise as much as we used to.

Sheesh.

And Please do not take any offnese on this.
I am an american as well.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:32 am
While spell checkers are indeed useful, I was pleased to see that most people who voted feel that they aren't a substitute for proofreading. I can't resist sharing this little anonymous poem:

Quote:
I have a grate spell checker
It came with my PC
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot see.

Eye ran this poem threw it
Your sure real glad two no
Its very polished in its own weigh
My chequer tolled me sew

A cheek or is a blessing
It freeze yew lodes of thyme
It helps me right awl stiles two reed
And aides me when aye rime

Now spilling does not phase me
It does knot bring a tier
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped words fare as hear

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should be proud
And wee mussed dew the best wee can
Sew flaws are knot aloud

So ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want to please

Author Unknown

Cheers! cheese_whine  

Rhiannen

Bard of Nirvana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:35 am
They're alright, but shouldn't be used as a substitute for proofreading. It may correct spelling errors, but it doesn't always catch misplaced words; like writing eight instead of ate. It also doesn't catch all the grammer mistakes and can say there is a grammer error when there isn't. I always proofread and have someone else check my work as well.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff