Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Xbox and Playstation Gaming
Good luck sony Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Georgia Gator

Hilarious Genius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:17 am
I'm not sure what'll happen to Sony after GoW 3 releases. I'm sure Sony won't die though, or the PS3 for that matter. They've got too many companies making good games for the console, just like Nintendo is doing for the Wii (by making the best games itself) and Microsoft (making the games or paying someone else to get exclusivity).

PS3 hasn't hit its prime yet, while I believe the other two have already. Wii's still in its prime, as seen by the sheer number of people that own the console. The PS3 will be a force to be reckoned with as time goes on because more and more of its power will become easier for developers to harness, plus as time wears on, the install base for it will grow, and hence, so will sales of the games. Sony more than likely will not win this generation, but PS3 won't die. They're doing everything they can to make sure that doesn't happen, like getting 3rd parties to make AAA titles for the console, such as FF XIV, MGS4, Uncharted 2, Agent, and others.

And I personally believe that Sony putting Trophies into the PS3 only shows that they are listening to their fanbase. 360 has Achievements and PS3 owners wanted something similar, so they got it. And I believe also, that as time wears on and the install base for the console grows, you'll see more and more developers go out on a limb with more games because the development costs will go down.

Also note, this is just my opinion. I don't consider myself a Sony fanboy or a PS3 fanboy. I just like the console I bought above the others, just like I'm sure the rest of you do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:38 am
First off Points > Trophies. Just had to say it.

Anyways, I understand why you're defending the system, just don't blind yourself to the writing on the wall out of a desire to protect your investment somehow.  

nitnit
Captain

Bayou Bulldog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:02 pm
I agree Points > Trophies!

Ahhhh the joys of owning all 3 systems.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:41 pm
nitnit

Anyways, I understand why you're defending the system, just don't blind yourself to the writing on the wall out of a desire to protect your investment somehow.

Please explain that part to me.

Georgia Gator

Hilarious Genius

Haratio TaFotter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:42 pm
nitnit

No ******** kidding. Every time I heard something new about the PS3 way back when, I always asked myself, "Hey, isn't the (insert next-gen console name here) already doing that?" Points>trophies.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:27 pm
I agree with that as well, points > trophies. Microsoft hit it on the nail when they came up with and implemented the creation. The sound it makes when i have unlocked the achievement brings great joy to me.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:00 pm
GA G8R
nitnit

Please explain that part to me.

Falling revenue for Sony, the current richest third party publisher talking about dropping the console, further talks of lowering the already unprofitable price to play catch up when the next wave of consoles comes out in 2 years...  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:28 pm
Whoa hold on where'd you hear that, it is to my understanding that these consoles we so enjoy right now were supposed to keep us going ti'll at least 2012, your not talking 2 years your talking probably more than 4!

Also stop bring up the whole Activision thing, I assure you that it was nothing but a bad stunt! Activision would never drop anything, why? because they're a buisiness and dispite what they would tell you dropping roughly 30% of the console market at the moment is a stupid move from whichever way you look at it! Like you said yourself Nitnit, they're a buisiness!  

Bayou Bulldog

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:40 pm
Video game cycles are approximately 5 years each - take a look at history and you'll realize that. This last batch started back in 2005, it's now 2009. Regardless, even if these systems last us until Fall 2012, that's still only 3 years from now, not more than 4 like you said...

Also, why wouldn't I bring up the Activision thing? How is it a bad stunt? Only game journalists/geeks will be reading those sorts of things, and it's just the guy being honest. Of all the consoles sold right now, Wii makes up 52%, 360 makes up 38% and PS3 makes up about 20% (approximates based on number consoles sold). The guy was simply saying that it's expensive to develop for the PS3, and unless sales pick up, they'll probably focus more on the 360.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:50 pm
It's a stunt because they're trying to bluff they're way into more money, classic buisiness strategy.

If they threaten to drop Sony then Sony coughs up more cash for them to keep developing! Even if they never intended to drop Sony, Sony dosn't know that, and they'll pay out the a** to keep them!

If Microsoft were in Sony's place they'd be saying the exact same thing!

Its not a matter of difficulty its a matter of bleeding the company to the best of your ability, Sony has the smallest console base right now so it makes the most sense to threaten to drop their support!

What the enemy dosn't know won't hurt them, but it'll sure as hell help us!  

Bayou Bulldog

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:59 pm
What? Are you high? The activistion guy said that all 3 consoles need to drop to 199$ to continue fast growth, and that his company may find it difficult to justify continuing making games for the PS3 and PSP.

Stop being paranoid, it's not a big conspiracy. Sony isn't going to pay them anything either way. The only time a console's company pays a publisher is when they want to ensure a game is only for a certain system. Sony used to make deals with square enix, Sony can't afford to do that now, Final Fantasy XIII is now on 360 as well as a result.

It's not a threat from Activision. Gamespot went up to a high up Activision guy and asked him about the PS3, and the guy answered honestly.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:03 am
Eh sorry about that, it's late and I've been talking about stuff with my friends and blah blah blah, you don't need to hear it!

I tend to be a pretty big conspiracy theorist, for example I believe that right now as I'm typing this sentence a group of corporate leaders are sitting at a spot lit conference table deciding that the fate of the middle class is for them to become slaves!!!

...in relation to that, JOIN THE RESISTANCE!!! lol, jk  

Bayou Bulldog

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:10 am
Damn you big corporations for creating most of the things that (for the most part) provide our entertainment and make life easier.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:38 am
I think Sony would only pay out the a** for certain franchises, like Monder Warfare 2. I mean the PS3 doesnt have that addicting multiplayer that Microsoft has. The biggest and most known example is Halo 3. After it goes boring after a while you stop playing it, then a few months down the road you pick it back up again.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Georgia Gator

Hilarious Genius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:11 am
Killzone and Resistance aren't as addicting as Halo, you say?

Xbox and Playstation Gaming

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff