Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tier One OPERATOR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:04 pm
Fresnel
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Fresnel
Dunno when the A2 was fielded, I just used it to denote the days when the M16 didn't suck.

Thing is, the poor manufacturing was likely a necessity thing, but they just didn't KNOW about the cleaning. They had to have the combat feedback before they could fully refine the gun.
Car companies often test new vehicles simulating conditions the vehicle will go through and often times more extreme elements than what the vehicle would go through to make sure it is safe enough to use. The same could be applied to weapons. If someone thinks a weapon will never need cleaning then don't you think it wasn't checked thoroughly enough to make sure? It doesn't take much effort to put a couple hundred rounds of ammo through a weapon then check to see if the weapon is still clean inside. The only thing I can think of where shotty workmanship would be used is if you're too cheap to care about the risks or you need to get a lot of the product produced ASAP. The M14 was working well enough the soldiers could have kept using it while the M16 was tested under battle conditions at home to make sure it works. You don't need people with guns shooting at you to test to see how well a weapon works. Accuracy under stress isn't really necessary to determine if a guns mechanics will work properly.
I think the 'doesn't need cleaning' thing was an army SNAFU that never came from the manufacturers. The generals told the soldiers they didn't need cleaning with no evidence to back it up.

The M14 was a semi-only rifle though, in an age of full-auto warfare. Sure it COULD fire full-auto, but it was completely uncontrollable. It had a bigger round, but it didn't have the necessary firepower. Also, I blame Colt as usual. Because they're Colt.
Actually, it was advertised as self-cleaning. Especially, I believe, the Gas System, although I think that was eventually just moved to the entire firearm, or they said that the action was self-cleaning. And, with the high-quality test ammunition, it was. But once they got to government-spec ammunition, combined with the shithole that was 'Nam, along with the generals taking that advertising at face value, and this being the first time a direct impingement system was used.

They probably didn't even look at that.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:04 pm
Fresnel
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Fresnel
Dunno when the A2 was fielded, I just used it to denote the days when the M16 didn't suck.

Thing is, the poor manufacturing was likely a necessity thing, but they just didn't KNOW about the cleaning. They had to have the combat feedback before they could fully refine the gun.
Car companies often test new vehicles simulating conditions the vehicle will go through and often times more extreme elements than what the vehicle would go through to make sure it is safe enough to use. The same could be applied to weapons. If someone thinks a weapon will never need cleaning then don't you think it wasn't checked thoroughly enough to make sure? It doesn't take much effort to put a couple hundred rounds of ammo through a weapon then check to see if the weapon is still clean inside. The only thing I can think of where shotty workmanship would be used is if you're too cheap to care about the risks or you need to get a lot of the product produced ASAP. The M14 was working well enough the soldiers could have kept using it while the M16 was tested under battle conditions at home to make sure it works. You don't need people with guns shooting at you to test to see how well a weapon works. Accuracy under stress isn't really necessary to determine if a guns mechanics will work properly.
I think the 'doesn't need cleaning' thing was an army SNAFU that never came from the manufacturers. The generals told the soldiers they didn't need cleaning with no evidence to back it up.

The M14 was a semi-only rifle though, in an age of full-auto warfare. Sure it COULD fire full-auto, but it was completely uncontrollable. It had a bigger round, but it didn't have the necessary firepower. Also, I blame Colt as usual. Because they're Colt.
Well regardless of who is to blame it was still a dumbass move. Semi auto is still better than a gun not working at all.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:35 pm
Additions!

Taken, which you've all heard about. Liam Neeson speaking with his accent and cracking bad guys' heads open to find his daughter. And that's the whole movie. The fight scenes are all fast and surgical, more Jason Bourne than Neo. Gunplay is more limited than I expected, but a decent movie.

Robotech: The shadow Chronicles. I didn't know anything about this movie when I got it out of one of the DVD vending machines, just though it couldn't be so bad as to not warrant $1. I was right. But it's a straightforward action romp with some alien and spaceship babble. The movie does nothing outright wrong, but it is completely forgettable. If you can get it for $1 then go ahead, but otherwise it's not worth it.

Samurai Jack Season 3 I found on Amazon for $2 used plus shipping and couldn't pass it up. I hadn't seen the show in a few years and it was time for more Jack action. My favorite episode has to be where Jack and a blatant Jigen (Lupin III) ripoff vie for a magic gem in a pyramid laid out like a Zelda dungeon. Good stuff.

Grenadier is an anime series with guns and boobies, so naturally I'm on board. It's basically Trigun with breasts, but not as well developed or funny. And a bit too short. I've only got 4 episodes left to watch. But Rushuna pulls off some neat and ridiculous gun moves that make me happy. It's worth a look.

Hard Boiled, one of John Woo's Chow Yun-Fat films. I'd never seen one before and it seemed like a good place to start. Spectacular shooting scenes and gratuitous gunplay. It's what I was expecting from War, but better. I got it with an English dub, but watched it in the original Cantonese with subtitles. I think that's the right way to watch it. Well recommended.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:33 pm
ArmasTermin
Taken, which you've all heard about. Liam Neeson speaking with his accent and cracking bad guys' heads open to find his daughter. And that's the whole movie. The fight scenes are all fast and surgical, more Jason Bourne than Neo. Gunplay is more limited than I expected, but a decent movie.
Did you notice that in every single fistfight he gets in, he smashes the other guy in the nuts to gain the upper hand? Guy's got a ******** purpose, and no reason to fight clean. It's awesome.

Quote:
Grenadier is an anime series with guns and boobies, so naturally I'm on board. It's basically Trigun with breasts, but not as well developed or funny. And a bit too short. I've only got 4 episodes left to watch. But Rushuna pulls off some neat and ridiculous gun moves that make me happy. It's worth a look.
The end is the best. I should watch that again. As soon as I'm done with Sliders...  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:50 pm
Additions!

Dragonball: Evolution. Wow. Where to start? Well I'll kill the suspense for you right now and say it's bad. Bad acting, bad story, bad villain. I know nothing of good acting and even I know this is bad acting. It's cheesy, the actors look nothing like the charactars they portray. There's not nearly enough fighting action, which was 80% of the anime (20% being "AAAAAHHHHH!!!") there's pointless cleavage where there should be good movie stuff. Basically it fails everywhere it can. Scenes jump too far, putting characters in vastly different environments without any real explanation. The CGI is often lame and obvious. Piccolo looks retarded. And apparently Chow Yun-Fat wanted a new car because he's involved in this for some inexplicable reason. It's bad but not in the "so bad it's good" way. There's really no reason to watch it.

Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro is, you see, a good movie. Like an animated James Bond flick but the gadgets are actually practical and Lupin comes off as charming more than the recent James Bond style Quagmire-in-a-suit fare. There's action, comedy, some guns. The plot is a bit cliched but it's done well enough that you don't care. And the dub version I watched featured the one and only Solid Snake David Hayer as the voice of Lupin. It's not as gruff so you'll have to listen for the similarities if you're used to Snake, but it is him. Good stuff all around, though Jigen doesn't get as much screen time as he should.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:14 am
AH LUPIN! How can you go wrong?  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:30 am
Man, Sliders goes on FOREVER. Yet, oddly, I have yet to see a firearms mistake. On the Communist America world, all the soldiers had AKs, and the resistance had some M16s and a handful of AKs, on the Wild West world, everyone had 1800's revolvers. When Quinn shot a man with a Colt Army and didn't c**k it, it turns out later that he didn't really shoot him... and it explains why there's only one gunshot.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:42 pm
Additions!

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society, which has a long name, turned out pretty well. To me it came off as just a really long episode of the series, but that in itself isn't a bad thing. The constant political babble can lose you sometimes, and there's not as much Major shooting stuff action as there should be, nor as much skin showing as the first GITS movie. But the music is standard Yoko Kanno awesomeness, the visuals are great, there's a decent mystery tied into the plot, and it's a good addition to the series. Recommended. Also, I noticed in the credits that the Major's English voice actor is one Mary E. McGlynn. I had never noticed that before. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is the singer whom does all the vocal tracks for the Silent Hill series.

Shiri is a 1999 Korean action movie centered around the issue of the reunification of N and S Korea. There's this fancy new explosive and some secret N Korea agents and this assassin called Shiri. And it all sounds like it would be pretty good, but I got lost a lot, darn short attention span, and the shooting scenes were all pretty sketchy and shaky. But there were some decent guns used.  

ArmasTermin

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:20 pm
THanks a lot Fres! Now I have to start watching Sliders!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:27 am
Additions!

Perfect Blue is a 1999 anime film that came on the Sci-Fi channel's "Ani-Monday" programming block one Monday night, but I only saw a few scenes of it and wasn't really paying attention and went out to have a cigar during it, so I didn't remember anything about it except something about an actress. Turns out it's a fast-paced, gritty, psychological, short piece of awesome. The text on the box says it's similar to a Hitchcock film, but I haven't seen any, so I couldn't say. But anyway, this pop singer of a trio called CHAM! moves on to become an actress after being urged to do so. But as she moves forward as an actress, people end up getting killed around her. And a website supposedly written by her pops up, describing intimate details of her life. All while she goes to great lengths to please people as an actress, her sanity begins to unravel and she can't tell fiction from reality. It'll lose you a bit, but most becomes clear at the end. It's a dark and exhilarating movie. But mind there is some nudity, and a rape scene. Actually two, but one is while she's acting, so... Neither go too far (hard to explain), but I just thought I'd mention that.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, well, I'm sure you've all heard of. I've seen it before, of course, but I had to watch it again to commemorate Mei Ling (see "Bladed Awesome" topic). The graphics are stunning and also spectacular. Detailed, too. Light falls naturally on surfaces and even individual strands of hair and stitching in clothing are present. There are some of the best action scenes since The Matrix (just with swords in stead of guns, mostly). The storyline is a bit scene-jumpy, and kind of sappy and emotional. A little hard to follow if you don't know about the game, but probably wouldn't lose anyone too bad. Still it's one of my favorites, and I've never even beaten the game. It's also available on Blu-Ray now with extra footage. I don't have a Blu-Ray player, but given how awesome it looks on DVD, it's probably eye-gougingly spectacular on Blu-Ray.  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:27 am
ArmasTermin
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, well, I'm sure you've all heard of. I've seen it before, of course, but I had to watch it again to commemorate Mei Ling (see "Bladed Awesome" topic). The graphics are stunning and also spectacular. Detailed, too. Light falls naturally on surfaces and even individual strands of hair and stitching in clothing are present. There are some of the best action scenes since The Matrix (just with swords in stead of guns, mostly). The storyline is a bit scene-jumpy, and kind of sappy and emotional. A little hard to follow if you don't know about the game, but probably wouldn't lose anyone too bad. Still it's one of my favorites, and I've never even beaten the game. It's also available on Blu-Ray now with extra footage. I don't have a Blu-Ray player, but given how awesome it looks on DVD, it's probably eye-gougingly spectacular on Blu-Ray.
I love the douche who's fighting armed supermen with a nightstick, and WON'T STAY DOWN. Hard ********, that one.

Also, 8:08 for massive lulz.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:16 am
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
I love the douche who's fighting armed supermen with a nightstick, and WON'T STAY DOWN. Hard ********, that one.

I lol'd more at the Dr. Tran's Quiet Log Time part.  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:01 pm
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

I lol'd more at the Dr. Tran's Quiet Log Time part.
You should watch the whole thing sometime, if you get the spare time. There's some good s**t in there. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:10 pm
I've seen it before. It spoiled a fair amount of Death Note for me so I hated it with a passion. But now that I've seen DN all through I might watch part 4 again, maybe tonight.

I've seen part 3 three times. Good stuff in there.  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:29 am
Here's a good one... Ong-Bak, starring Tony Jaa. Non-stop kick-a** kung-fu flick, rather reminiscent of Bruce Lee. Kid completes his Muay Thai training, and the next day the head of the town's Buddha statue is stolen, so he goes on a kick-a** adventurefest to Bangkok to get it back. It was totally over-the-top action, and there was a good dollop of humor thrown in, but...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

...Yeah. And it's also noteworthy that Tony Jaa does all his own stunts. So that's him with his legs on fire.  
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff