Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
What Do You Want Out of Religion? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:59 pm
I'm still not even sure if I have a religion at all. I have my own set of beliefs.. I finally have my own deity, but I don't follow any religion. If my beliefs make up my own sort of religion, then I guess I do, but other than that.. I guess I'm just spiritual?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:10 pm
Morgandria
3) What you think of as karma may not be. Karma does not directly respond to our actions - it neither rewards nor punishes. Eastern religions that involve karma also involved dharma, and understand the two concepts as inseparable. A person may be a genocidal maniac - and if that is his dharma within their current lifetime, their karma will reflect that they are pursuing the correct action their dharma has indicated. In effect, following one's dharma is correct, a natural law and order, and is moral - whether or not we percieve it to be from outside that individual.

Western new-age thinking has separated karma from dharma, and effectively watered the concept down to a 'like earns like' - 'do unto others' sort of concept, likely in response to leaving heavily-dogmatic varieties of Judeo-Christian religions. Karma does not directly respond to our actions - it neither rewards nor punishes.
So question since I'm kinda confused. If someone is acting against their dharma then they are acting their karma?
Using the example of the genocidal manic that you used. Killing would be said person's dharma but if they were to go against that and do something kind for someone or even save a life then that would be said person acting out karma?  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:15 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Morgandria
3) What you think of as karma may not be. Karma does not directly respond to our actions - it neither rewards nor punishes. Eastern religions that involve karma also involved dharma, and understand the two concepts as inseparable. A person may be a genocidal maniac - and if that is his dharma within their current lifetime, their karma will reflect that they are pursuing the correct action their dharma has indicated. In effect, following one's dharma is correct, a natural law and order, and is moral - whether or not we percieve it to be from outside that individual.

Western new-age thinking has separated karma from dharma, and effectively watered the concept down to a 'like earns like' - 'do unto others' sort of concept, likely in response to leaving heavily-dogmatic varieties of Judeo-Christian religions. Karma does not directly respond to our actions - it neither rewards nor punishes.
So question since I'm kinda confused. If someone is acting against their dharma then they are acting their karma?
Using the example of the genocidal manic that you used. Killing would be said person's dharma but if they were to go against that and do something kind for someone or even save a life then that would be said person acting out karma?

Karma is like a weight that pulls you down the ladder of reincarnation, or the ladder to nirvana or whatever. You accrue karma when you act counter to your dharma.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:22 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Karma is like a weight that pulls you down the ladder of reincarnation, or the ladder to nirvana or whatever. You accrue karma when you act counter to your dharma.
Ok. That's somewhat what I thought but then when Morg was explaining it I was like wait a second. So the more you act upon your dharma the better your karma and the better your next life or if you reach enlightment you go to nirvana. The more you go against your dharma the worse your karma and the worse your next life is. Can going against your dharma actually keep you from enlightment and therefore nirvana in that sense?  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:35 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Ok. That's somewhat what I thought but then when Morg was explaining it I was like wait a second. So the more you act upon your dharma the better your karma and the better your next life or if you reach enlightment you go to nirvana. The more you go against your dharma the worse your karma and the worse your next life is. Can going against your dharma actually keep you from enlightment and therefore nirvana in that sense?

No no no - there's only one kind of karma, and you don't want it. If you go with your dharma, karma fades away. Or at least, you don't gain any. If you act counter to your dharma, you accrue it. It makes it a lot more difficult to end the cycle of reincarnation.

That's my understanding anyway.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:46 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
No no no - there's only one kind of karma, and you don't want it. If you go with your dharma, karma fades away. Or at least, you don't gain any. If you act counter to your dharma, you accrue it. It makes it a lot more difficult to end the cycle of reincarnation.

That's my understanding anyway.
Ok so all karma is bad. Got it.
I always thought there was good karma when I first learned about it. But thanks for clearing that up. Now I have a better definition for gathering my path variations.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Bad Quality Serena

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:48 pm
MidnightLetter
Do you even consider your practices to be a religion?

I really used to believe so, but now I'm not so sure. When ever I cast a spell or whatever, I never really pray to a specific deity. Sometimes I speak, but it's not so much praying to a god or goddess. It's more like I am clarifying the purpose of my spell to the universe. I don't know, I'm not really explaining this well.

Right now I'm really just searching my beliefs, so it could change.

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games