Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
Recommended Reading Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

skowar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:17 am
how could i read some of these books? thanks, is there any available in online to read?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:10 pm
The one's that are online, are linked. You can also try looking though Google Books (often you can get a fairly decent preview of some books). Also, even if your local library doesn't have them, you can request them through the inter-library loan system (for free).  

ncsweet
Crew

mechanical kitsy
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:29 am
I have a few of Buckland's books, my uncle gave them to me for christmas. I guess he got tired of playing around. They're okay reads.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:17 am
Well, Natural Magic by Pamela J. Ball and The Book of Spells by Michael Johnstone.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:06 am
Azareas Aquarinus
Well, Natural Magic by Pamela J. Ball and The Book of Spells by Michael Johnstone.

I dug around pretty good, but even my Google-Fu failed on these two. I've never seen or heard of either of them, and can't find so much as a review. Neither author seems to have a website, and Pamela Ball got deleted from Wikipedia in 2008.

A little weird...  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:00 pm
Morgandria
Azareas Aquarinus

I dug around pretty good, but even my Google-Fu failed on these two. I've never seen or heard of either of them, and can't find so much as a review. Neither author seems to have a website, and Pamela Ball got deleted from Wikipedia in 2008.

A little weird...

I recently bought these two books, thought I'd put them on here.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:26 pm
Azareas Aquarinus

So what makes these books recommended reading, to you? Is there more to it than the fact you own them?

I was hoping to find them on Google just to have a look at some of the writing, and see how well they were written, and what kind of source material they draw from.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:13 pm
Morgandria
Azareas Aquarinus

So what makes these books recommended reading, to you? Is there more to it than the fact you own them?

I was hoping to find them on Google just to have a look at some of the writing, and see how well they were written, and what kind of source material they draw from.

They explain a lot, and are rather helpful. Most of the rituals in Natural Magic are group ones.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

achilles_tendencies

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:52 pm
I really liked the book Green Witchcraft : Folk Magic, Fairy Lore, & Herb Craft by Ann Moura (Aoumiel)

This is a good read, interesting, informative, and the lady who writes it comes across as personable.

It's a good place to start, even if it only leaves you with questions (questions are never bad).

Wiccan Warrior By Kerr Cuhulain was a reasonably good read, and gave some good advice about self dicipline, and the ways to make one stronger with ones self. I am not to sure about the Wiccan aspects of the book, I am not a wiccan.

His other book The Law Enforcement Guide to Wicca is also a good book and can give you useful information on how the law relates to certain gatherings and such. The author is an openly practicing cop in the state of Washington, or was last time I checked.

Oh, on a personal note, I always try to take from a book what I can, but never take them as complete gosple. I always question the contents of books, and try to take from them what I can. Some people might not find these books helpful, but it may be just what someone else needs. biggrin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:50 pm
Rhymes0with0Orange
I really liked the book Green Witchcraft : Folk Magic, Fairy Lore, & Herb Craft by Ann Moura (Aoumiel)

This is a good read, interesting, informative, and the lady who writes it comes across as personable.

Really? I thought she came across as a whiny, hypocritical pain in the arse xp

Quote:
Wiccan Warrior By Kerr Cuhulain was a reasonably good read, and gave some good advice about self dicipline, and the ways to make one stronger with ones self. I am not to sure about the Wiccan aspects of the book, I am not a wiccan.

Nope, he's not a Wiccan, afaik. He seems a nice enough chap though.

Quote:
His other book The Law Enforcement Guide to Wicca is also a good book and can give you useful information on how the law relates to certain gatherings and such. The author is an openly practicing cop in the state of Washington, or was last time I checked.

I actually thought he was Canadian. I don't know why.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

achilles_tendencies

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:16 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Rhymes0with0Orange

Really? I thought she came across as a whiny, hypocritical pain in the arse xp

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion on things, no two people react exactly the same way to things.

Quote:

I actually thought he was Canadian. I don't know why.

I'm not sure, I could have sworn he was from washington but he might be canadian.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:27 pm
Rhymes0with0Orange

I'm not sure, I could have sworn he was from washington but he might be canadian.

There's a Canadian flag on his Witchvox page. But I think I've heard of him giving talks in Washington.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:11 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Rhymes0with0Orange

There's a Canadian flag on his Witchvox page. But I think I've heard of him giving talks in Washington.

He's a retired police officer from Vancouver, B.C. - so he is canadian. Never been terrible fond of his stuff, but it's not bad. Just not really useful to me. AFAIK he is not an initiate of a lineaged tradition of Wicca, and the internet seems to vary wildly on how long he claims to have been Wiccan - I've seen as much as 40 years. I have a hard time taking him seriously, for some reason.

Ann Moura's stuff gets me in that it seems really incomplete in places, like she assumes someone already knows how to do something, or what the hell she's talking about. I remember a friend asked me to read Green Witchcraft and try to explain some things to her, since she doesn't practice neo-pagan witchcraft and was utterly stymied at some of the instructions.  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:42 am
Ok so I'm kinda new I've done some homework, you could say, on Wicca but I wanna know why Silver Ravenwolf is so bad. That way I make sure I know what I'm studying.

TheRawrWord

ncsweet
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:31 am
TheRawrWord
Ok so I'm kinda new I've done some homework, you could say, on Wicca but I wanna know why Silver Ravenwolf is so bad. That way I make sure I know what I'm studying.

There are 2 separate threads on what's wrong with SRW...
Link 1 Link 2  
*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games