Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Help
Wig Help Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Myopsida

Demonic Dabbler

9,475 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:48 pm
Any suggestions on how to wash hair glue/spray out of a wig aside from just washing it?

My brother's wig got crushed so we have to restyle it completely from the beginning.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:18 am
Washing really is the best option. Some products can turn opaque or white when crushed or made wet again so just putting more on top can cause some discolouration.
You can get a wet cloth and work the product out that way however it's going to take you a stupid amount of time and you probably won't be able to get all the product out unless you've got it really wet and use some kind of cleaner which will also need to be washed out.
It's really not hard to wash a wig, it'll take you about half an hour for a long wig.  

Sephiroths samurai girl

Myopsida

Demonic Dabbler

9,475 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:54 am
Sephiroths samurai girl
Washing really is the best option. Some products can turn opaque or white when crushed or made wet again so just putting more on top can cause some discolouration.
You can get a wet cloth and work the product out that way however it's going to take you a stupid amount of time and you probably won't be able to get all the product out unless you've got it really wet and use some kind of cleaner which will also need to be washed out.
It's really not hard to wash a wig, it'll take you about half an hour for a long wig.

Thanks for the advise. I'm debating just buying synthetic hair shampoo and using that. Seems reasonable enough seeing as it's only about $7.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:56 am
-Blow Out Your Eardrums-
Sephiroths samurai girl

Thanks for the advise. I'm debating just buying synthetic hair shampoo and using that. Seems reasonable enough seeing as it's only about $7.

It definitely is the easiest option. :3 If you don't want to buy more shampoo you can use regular shampoo too. I generally use pantenne but most brands will work fine. Just wash it like you would your own hair but with cold water and let it drip dry. I normally add in a little conditioner too as it helps prevent tangling during and after washing.
If you're in doubt about using a specific brand (though I've never had any problem with any of the brands I use), you can do a strand test like you would on your own hair when dyeing it.  

Sephiroths samurai girl

Qianna

Sugary Genius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:41 am
So I have this wig from cosworx that I bought. But after one weekend of cosplaying the hairs are all sticking together and it's hard to comb through (I'm scared of pulling out too many hairs....)

Does anyone of you have experience with this? Tidying up your wigs after use? I hope you have some advice for me then!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:12 am
Qianna
So I have this wig from cosworx that I bought. But after one weekend of cosplaying the hairs are all sticking together and it's hard to comb through (I'm scared of pulling out too many hairs....)

Does anyone of you have experience with this? Tidying up your wigs after use? I hope you have some advice for me then!

Yes I have, lets just say too many people in one hotel room. You will want a wide tooth comb, and then if you can get it wig detangler is a nice thing to have, I've also heard you can use wig shampoo or conditioner but I've never tried it and you would have to wash your wig afterwards. Anyway! You start a the bottom of your tangled area and slowly and gently work you way up the wig. This may or may not take a long time depending on the length and how badly tangled you wig is.

Also to prevent this in the future, it is good to comb when you got to the bathroom to fix your makeup or any other adjustments on your costume. Also during try storing your wigs neatly. I hope this helps....  

Storm17

Tipsy Hoarder

Qianna

Sugary Genius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Thanks for the tips! That'll sure work! I'll have to find myself a lot of time and then: try to fix my wigs... XD  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:46 pm
I just bought this WIG today but I need Ideas for a character I can cosplay as or just suggestions on how I can dress up with it, I am willing to cut and style and get rid of the horns!  

Fang253

6,700 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200

Me-Chan916

10,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:35 pm
Hi, so I recently got a spiky blue wig off of ebay for a Black Star cosplay. It's great and all but a few of the spikes are kind of coming undone or something. I am not an expert on wig and wig styling but is there a sort of gel or something I could us to fix them up a bit? And if so could someone reccomend a brand that works well and isn't too pricey?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:06 am
Me-Chan916
Hi, so I recently got a spiky blue wig off of ebay for a Black Star cosplay. It's great and all but a few of the spikes are kind of coming undone or something. I am not an expert on wig and wig styling but is there a sort of gel or something I could us to fix them up a bit? And if so could someone reccomend a brand that works well and isn't too pricey?

Hair gels you want to completely avoid, go with either a putty or spray. I like to use Fructis Manga Head, it's fairly cheap and you only need a little of it for styling. Got2Be glued is also an option but more expensive and does the same job. I don't like using hair spray but any should do.  

Sephiroths samurai girl

Me-Chan916

10,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:27 pm
Sephiroths samurai girl
Me-Chan916

Hair gels you want to completely avoid, go with either a putty or spray. I like to use Fructis Manga Head, it's fairly cheap and you only need a little of it for styling. Got2Be glued is also an option but more expensive and does the same job. I don't like using hair spray but any should do.

And these products would be good to be used on wigs?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:26 pm
Me-Chan916
Sephiroths samurai girl
Me-Chan916

Yes ^^;
The only thing that should be avoided is hair gel as I've said already. It works on the oils in your hair which wigs don't have, where as the other products will just stick to the fibres without the use of oils.  

Sephiroths samurai girl

Me-Chan916

10,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:06 pm
Sephiroths samurai girl
Me-Chan916
Sephiroths samurai girl
Me-Chan916

Yes ^^;
The only thing that should be avoided is hair gel as I've said already. It works on the oils in your hair which wigs don't have, where as the other products will just stick to the fibres without the use of oils.

Okay ^^
Thank you so much! You're a life saver!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:06 pm
[This is also on cosplay.com but I'm not getting much answers do to the login problems there. Might also put this on the cosplay forums here]

Okay, so i'm dumb enough not to post this sooner but I'm on a tight schedule and my con is in May.

So please, please, please help!

I'm being Jun Manjoume, and here he is: http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...anjoume_GX.jpg

Now, I know with that kind of hair, my wig isn't going to be exactly like it but I'm still gonna need volume to style it(well I'm not the one styling it)

So wig experts, please tell me which wig to get! Some experts at my cosplay club suggested this wig: http://amphigory.com/wigs_celeste.html
Problem is: Doesn't come in black and I can't continously bug them b/c they have way more of a life than me and that includes doing commission and working on their own costumes and preparations for May(not to mention the club is only once a week).

Again, please help me! I prefer buying wigs from that site(but you can give me something else from a different site) but I know practically nothing on wigs. I just know for Jun, the wig has to be long-ish like the above. But like most people, I don't have that much money. So if you can link me to the cheapest wig possible(I know, it's probably gonna be at least 30 bucks anyway) for this character, it would be great!

Please and thanks ahead of time!  

Kaida HiwatariKon

Invisible Nerd

13,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Timid 100

Wee Little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:21 pm
I need suggestions on getting bangs that look like this:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3052/66423996oib8.jpg

To style into bangs like Mikuru:

http://s2.subirimagenes.com/albums/29744asahina-mikuru-14.png

The bangs fall slat and poke me in the eyes x.x I try to push them out of the way, but they just end up looking stupid since it just doesn't fall like normal hair.  
Cosplay Help

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff