Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Help
Cosplay Help Thread-- Misc. Outfits Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

blazeingfox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:51 pm
Quote:
You can buy a normal, very long belt and alter it. Or you can get a lot of fake-leather fabric and sew one yourself. The dots you can cut out of the same colour material as your belt and stick them on with glue.

I hope that helps.

Quote:
I've never made a belt before so I'm posting on how I would try it. Get fabric the color of the belt to make the belt, use interfacing on it to make it stiffer like a belt. For the round parts I would use metal studs. (I'm not really sure if those are metal parts but I looked up some cosplayers of her and some of them used metal there) I hope that helps.

thanks a lot guys ^_^  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:25 pm
This year I will be doing my first cosplay and I'm very nervous. I am a girl and I'm kind of heavy and very shy. This baisically means that anything skimpy is out. Also, I am not very experienced so I don't want to try something too dificult and get in way over my head.

After thinking about it for awhile I think I want to do Lan Fan from FMA. Does this seem like a reasonable choice? Would it matter over much if I'm rather heavier than the character? I don't think Lan Fan is a particularly overdone character but I could be mistaken. Is their any other reason not to go as her?

Also, I have a question about the hair. She has short black hair with bangs and I have long brown hair without bangs. I would normally buy a wig but a) Her hairstyle (a high bun and bangs) is so simple it doesn't really seem worth it and b) I'll be probably be wearing a hood and mask most of the time anyway. I would cut my hair but I really like it long and I don't think that that style of bangs, though cute, would suit me very well. Would it be alright to use my real hair and just dye it and put it in a bun? Or would it look bad because I don't have any bangs?

Sorry for the long post, but does anyone have anyother tips that seem worth mentioning? Please help and aspiring newbie!  

Eijay

5,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Nightmare the Wolf

Invisible Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:11 pm
Cosplay costumes are very expensive so I am going to try to make my own for A-kon 21 (in june). One of my costumes is going to be Yoruichi from Bleach and I would like to do Sora's christmas town costume from Final Mix

Yoruichi
http://www.costumzee.com/users/Jade_Princess16-784-full.gif
http://www.gifthalloween.com/images/18646
Sora
http://kh2.co.uk/assets/kh2/fm/artwork/kh2fm44.jpg
The problem is is that I have no clue what materials I need...So I was wondering if I could get some help on the basics of making a cosplay costume like the ones I want to do without spending a lot of money and wasting a lot of time.
Any advice or anything? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:45 pm
@Enjoy My hell:
It's extremely hard to make any good cosplay look good if you tried to go really cheap.

For Sora's costume
I would use this material, i can't think of the name, but they use it for like almost business suits and usually comes at $7.99 a yard. It's more expensive, but if you use cotton or something it'll be thin, easily wrinkled, and partially see through (most of the time)
hat:
I would get a regular old santa hat and dye it black with fabric dye, you may want to remove the white puff at the end and re-attach it later otherwise that'll turn black too.
legs:
get red ribbon and black knee high socks for the legs, possible glue are tape the ribbon to the socks while wearing them
shoes:
go to goodwill, get some old shoes and paint them black then paint a white stripe
belt:
goodwill/salvation army
White Fluff:
I'd just get a couple yards of it from Joann Fabrics or somewhere

the Bleach costume
undershirt:
black turtle neck
over shirt:
v-neck orange shirt, you'll probably have to cut it at the elbows and hem it
shoulder pads:
cut them out of foam board or something and glue/tape/sew them onto the shoulders.
pants:
goodwill
shoes:
goodwill

I know it's cheap that you wouldn't be making it all from scratch, but if you want cheap it's the best way to go.

@Eijay:
It all comes down to whether or not you want to be as accurate as possible.
If you're not going to be taking off your mask then I wouldn't really bother getting the wig for the character. But if you wanted to using temporary black hair dye may help you out if you pulled it in a bun, just so you'd still look in character if you decided to take the mask off.
Don't worry if you're a bit heavier, not everyone looks exactly like their character physic wise.  

Woven Red

Eijay

5,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:13 pm
@Woven Red
Thanks for the comments. That's pretty much what I had decided. I mean, wigs are just too expensive to buy just for the bangs, you know? I'm really looking forward to working on this costume!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:37 pm
@Woven Red:So should i stuff the pants for Sora's costume?  

Nightmare the Wolf

Invisible Werewolf

Woven Red

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:44 pm
@Enjoy:
His pants are fluffy, you've got to get them to fluff out somehow or it looks wrong. I'm not sure how you would want to stuff them though because it might leak out unless you sewed it in.

There's this stuff called...interfacing or something, it's white and thick, harder to wrinkle and stuff. I used it for a black mage hat. If you could get that and sew it to the inside of the pants they would hold the fluffy form.

You may wanna ask someone at Joann's or something about the best path to take. Maybe bring a picture so you can show them. Some of them know what they're doing  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:21 pm
I have really bad allergy
crying
so does anyone know where i can find ALL cotton, polyester, or rayon girl cosplay outfits for cheap?
I would heart you forever if you helped me out!!!! biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin
ninja ninja  

theauthor94

Storm17

Tipsy Hoarder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:01 am
theauthor94
I have really bad allergy
crying
so does anyone know where i can find ALL cotton, polyester, or rayon girl cosplay outfits for cheap?
I would heart you forever if you helped me out!!!! biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin
ninja ninja

Um, well it depends on what costume your looking for. If it's cheap then it is hard to say what material they used to make it but you could always ask, or you could try commissioning someone to make a costume for you with the required fabric. If all else fails find a person that looks like they wear normal clothing and just find and modify the clothes as needed.
I hope that helped.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:10 am
I don't know if this belongs here but here it is.

I am cosplaying Uniformed China (from Hetalia), i have bought the uniform, and going to make my props, but i'm having some difficulty with his shoes. I was thinking of using my hiking boots, but they are worn down and don't look right for the costume.
I need help with getting some shoes that look right but are not expensive. I was thinking of going to Payless to get shoes, but i don't know if they have what i need. Are there any stores that would sell cheap military style boots? Or what should i use as his shoes.
Just to make things easier, i don't want to wear slippers.

Here are some reference pictures: [x], [x],  

Veretix

8,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Storm17

Tipsy Hoarder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:04 am
Veretix
I don't know if this belongs here but here it is.

I am cosplaying Uniformed China (from Hetalia), i have bought the uniform, and going to make my props, but i'm having some difficulty with his shoes. I was thinking of using my hiking boots, but they are worn down and don't look right for the costume.
I need help with getting some shoes that look right but are not expensive. I was thinking of going to Payless to get shoes, but i don't know if they have what i need. Are there any stores that would sell cheap military style boots? Or what should i use as his shoes.
Just to make things easier, i don't want to wear slippers.

Here are some reference pictures: [x], [x],

I'd say for military boots look at a army surplus store or ebay. If that fails then looking at payless or other shoe store wouldn't hurt.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:17 pm
for AWA 2010, i will be cosplaying my oc shikaru

this is shikaru

User Image

i have to make the full bodied grey outfit, i cannot paint my body because i am a woman and you know how that goes. i need help with the general cosplay  

orochimaruismine

Beloved Werewolf

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:25 pm
I guess this goes under here since this character isn't from an anime or a video game. So, I'm going to be cosplaying Numbah 5 from Code Name Kids Next Door. (Not the fusion fall numbah 5) This is going to be my FIRST sewn cosplay and I have 3 questions.

1. After it's sewn, can I cut the notches off or should I leave them be?

2. Should I use white ribbon for the stripes?

3. How do I hem the neck?

x  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:27 pm
i have a question! (but its not really cosplay..) i found a really cute lolita dress on Ebay for $30....is this too good to be true?! basically what i want to know is is it reasonable to buy a slightly-used lolita dress on Ebay...or should i look elsewhere...also, is it absolutely necessary to wear bloomers with a lolita outfit?  

7dancer10

Deddo_Kabuki

6,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:32 pm
...I am doing a gothic/Malice Alice type Madhatter and was wondering if any one had any advice. Clothes wise. My color scheme is gold and black but I am unsure of what to do for the pants and so on and so forth.  
Cosplay Help

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff