Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:10 am
Aunt Nagase
Fresnel
So I just went to see if the BAR could take a clip (it can't, it's side-ejecting), and I ran across this. Repro BAR? Does want. Kind of expensive though.
Eh. The BAR's too big for my tastes. I'm not an LMG fan. When it comes to that era, give me a Lee-Enfield Mk. 4 any day.
Garand or Kar98 FTW!

Don't remember where I found it, but there's a site for a company in Europe that sells semi-auto repros of the StG-44, MP-40 and FG-42.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:13 am
Requiem in Mortis
Aunt Nagase
Fresnel
So I just went to see if the BAR could take a clip (it can't, it's side-ejecting), and I ran across this. Repro BAR? Does want. Kind of expensive though.
Eh. The BAR's too big for my tastes. I'm not an LMG fan. When it comes to that era, give me a Lee-Enfield Mk. 4 any day.
Garand or Kar98 FTW!

Don't remember where I found it, but there's a site for a company in Europe that sells semi-auto repros of the StG-44, MP-40 and FG-42.
Eh. The Garand is pretty good, but the way it ejects a spent clip is a fatal flaw. That pinging noise it makes is a wonderful way to tell the whole battlefield that you need to reload, which isn't something I want to broadcast. It's also difficult (Though not, as video games would have one believe, impossible) to top off a partially spent clip. As for the Kar98, the Lee Enfield has double the ammo capacity, and it's accuracy is pretty damn good. Plus, a shooter who holds the Lee Enfield's bolt just right can put out a rate of fire good enough to make a Garand user jealous. It requires firing from the hip, which forgoes accuracy somewhat, but from what I hear it's damn handy in a close up indoors fight.  

Ambassador Jackson

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:47 am
Aunt Nagase
Requiem in Mortis
Aunt Nagase
Fresnel
Garand or Kar98 FTW!

Eh. The Garand is pretty good, but the way it ejects a spent clip is a fatal flaw. That pinging noise it makes is a wonderful way to tell the whole battlefield that you need to reload, which isn't something I want to broadcast. It's also difficult (Though not, as video games would have one believe, impossible) to top off a partially spent clip. As for the Kar98, the Lee Enfield has double the ammo capacity, and it's accuracy is pretty damn good. Plus, a shooter who holds the Lee Enfield's bolt just right can put out a rate of fire good enough to make a Garand user jealous. It requires firing from the hip, which forgoes accuracy somewhat, but from what I hear it's damn handy in a close up indoors fight.

That ping is made by the en-bloc hitting the ground.
You can toss one up in the air and onto the ground and wait for some poor sap to poke their head out.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:01 am
OberFeldwebel
Aunt Nagase
Requiem in Mortis
Aunt Nagase
Fresnel
Garand or Kar98 FTW!

You can toss one up in the air and onto the ground and wait for some poor sap to poke their head out.
I know all about that trick. I just don't think it makes up for the defect. I just don't see why the Garand couldn't have used stripper clips or detatchable mags like every other rifle of it's day. Would've made the American GI's life so much easier. It'd eliminate the pinging noise and make it easier to top off a loaded clip.  

Ambassador Jackson

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:16 am
OberFeldwebel
Aunt Nagase
Requiem in Mortis
Aunt Nagase
Fresnel
Garand or Kar98 FTW!

Not quite. When the guy at the air show demonstrated the ping for me, the gun pinged BEFORE the clip ever hit the ground. There was an addition ping once the clip hit the ground.

This video of a guy having way too much fun with his Garand demonstrates this.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:25 pm
Aunt Nagase
Requiem in Mortis
Aunt Nagase
Fresnel
Garand or Kar98 FTW!

No it doesn't. mrgreen

Aimed, you can reload an Enfield faster than you can recover from the recoil. Unaimed, you can put a BAR on Slow Auto to shame.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:25 pm
...Seriously?

People STILL are falling for that bullshit?

You aren't going to hear the ping in the MIDDLE OF COMBAT. You aren't going to hear ANYTHING but dull explosions and screaming because of the ear damage and guns going off.

The En Bloc clip was superior to the stripper clip in that it took less time to use (because you just pushed the whole thing down in there as one piece and let go, and didn't have to pull anything back out). It was just as fast as an external magazine, but didn't cost as much and wasn't as bulky to carry. As well, it was one less point of failure, no bad mags in the field.
And it was self-ejecting.
And you don't top off a magazine, you drop the magazine and put a new one in. You don't really top-off semi-automatics that use anything but tube magazines. It did the same thing, except it ejected it for you when you hit the release. The only pro a magazine has there is that you woult have a hold on the magazine and could put it in a drop pouch or something for later, but with the clip you lose it and the ammo that was left.

Shooting a Garand, over that final shot, you aren't going to hear the ping. On vegetated or soft ground, you aren't going ear the clip hit the ground either.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:27 pm
uryu ishida
The En Bloc clip was superior to the stripper clip in that it took less time to use (because you just pushed the whole thing down in there as one piece and let go, and didn't have to pull anything back out).
I've tried this on my SMLE... it'll eject its own stripper clip when the bolt starts moving forward.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:02 pm
Fresnel
uryu ishida
The En Bloc clip was superior to the stripper clip in that it took less time to use (because you just pushed the whole thing down in there as one piece and let go, and didn't have to pull anything back out).
I've tried this on my SMLE... it'll eject its own stripper clip when the bolt starts moving forward.

Mauser does the same.

Only thing that you may have to pull the clips out of is the Mosin.
At least for mine.

Huh, I guess it does ping out of the rifle.

Yeah, I didn't really think of that Uryu.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:55 pm
uryu ishida
...Seriously?

You aren't going to hear the ping in the MIDDLE OF COMBAT. You aren't going to hear ANYTHING but dull explosions and screaming because of the ear damage and guns going off.

The En Bloc clip was superior to the stripper clip in that it took less time to use (because you just pushed the whole thing down in there as one piece and let go, and didn't have to pull anything back out). It was just as fast as an external magazine, but didn't cost as much and wasn't as bulky to carry. As well, it was one less point of failure, no bad mags in the field.
And you don't top off a magazine, you drop the magazine and put a new one in. You don't really top-off semi-automatics that use anything but tube magazines. It did the same thing, except it ejected it for you when you hit the release. The only pro a magazine has there is that you woult have a hold on the magazine and could put it in a drop pouch or something for later, but with the clip you lose it and the ammo that was left.

Shooting a Garand, over that final shot, you aren't going to hear the ping. On vegetated or soft ground, you aren't going ear the clip hit the ground either.
Supposedly, and this is a big SUPPOSEDLY, there were reports of German and Japanese troops in combat hearing the ping and knowing the rifleman was empty. Even with explosions and gunfire going off, that ping is pretty damn loud. But I DO agree that with the explosions and gunfire, you're less likely to hear the ping, or at least distinguish it from the surrounding noise.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:35 pm
Requiem in Mortis
uryu ishida
...Seriously?

Supposedly, and this is a big SUPPOSEDLY, there were reports of German and Japanese troops in combat hearing the ping and knowing the rifleman was empty. Even with explosions and gunfire going off, that ping is pretty damn loud. But I DO agree that with the explosions and gunfire, you're less likely to hear the ping, or at least distinguish it from the surrounding noise.
It really isn't loud at all. Added to the fact that it happens at the same instant as the report from the last shot, you aren't really going to hear it.
And if they charged at a ping, there were several other rifleman who would plug them as soon as they popped up. It's not really a logical claim.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:50 pm
Uryu, you say that the ping isn't loud enough to be heard during war. And it seems like you'd be right, but I remember seeing WWII veterans interviewed on the History Channel remarking about opposing forces indeed listening for the ping to know when someone was reloading, and that Ally forces would use a spare empty and hit it on something to make a ping, which would cause opfor to poke their heads out thinking someone was empty.

So, I don't know if I can reason against the guys that were there as I sit on my couch and tip-tap letters out on my keyboard.  

ArmasTermin

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces