Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Zombies. Seriously.
Best Zombie Weapon? [Copy/paste from my ED thread] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:20 pm
To be honest all this talk is making my opinions shift on the subject. I'm not prepared to say a shotgun would be superior, but the points brought up are quite valid. I'm willing to go so far as to say a pump shotgun could be on equal or near-equal level with a .223 caliber AR platform.

As for Marine models, I always thought they had some aluminum alloy pieces where possible and special anti-salt water finish and lots of stainless steel. I should look into that, though.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:37 am
ArmasTermin
As for Marine models, I always thought they had some aluminum alloy pieces where possible and special anti-salt water finish and lots of stainless steel. I should look into that, though.
s**t i always thought they were just nickle plated with composite wherever they could sneak it in...  

Maddness91

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:47 am
ArmasTermin
To be honest all this talk is making my opinions shift on the subject. I'm not prepared to say a shotgun would be superior, but the points brought up are quite valid. I'm willing to go so far as to say a pump shotgun could be on equal or near-equal level with a .223 caliber AR platform.
I'd admit that an AR is certainly a very useful weapon, and if I had my way I'd take both, but weight is an issue, so I only get one. And out here, birds and rabbits are really all there is to eat, and those are birdshot game. That's what tips the scale.

Quote:
I wonder if even stainless can rust in saltwater?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:39 pm
Actuallt the great and powerful internet told me it was nickel, not stainless.

I should get a glass of salt water and put a shitty stainless steel blade in it and see what happens over time.  

ArmasTermin

Maddness91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:13 pm
ArmasTermin

I should get a glass of salt water and put a shitty stainless steel blade in it and see what happens over time.
i have a bunch of ball bearings made of stainless steel... 1/2 of them have rust on them...
stainless =/= rust proof

WIKI -> "Stainless steel does not stain, corrode, or rust as easily as ordinary steel (it stains less, but it is not stain-proof)"  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:40 pm
ArmasTermin

You'd think they'd plate it in aluminum. Nickel will corrode eventually, but aluminum oxide is STRONGER than aluminum... anodizing is running an electrical current through the aluminum to deepen the oxide layer. Just make a tri-layer barrel... chrome, steel, aluminum.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:13 pm
Fresnel

Depends on what kind of stainless you got. Some stainless will hold up decently against saltwater, but overexposure will ultimately win (even if it does take a long time). Case in point, my S&W SWAT II has a stainless blade and is showing some light discoloration in spots due to it usually getting soaked. (it's not an expensive knife too)

The stainless like the kind used in shafts for boats however will not rust. Granted, electrolysis and marine life will eat away at it it it is over/under zinced and left to sit idle for a long time, but there are absolutely NO rust / discolored spots on those shafts. It all depends on the mixture.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:54 pm
Man of the Demoneye
Fresnel

Depends on what kind of stainless you got. Some stainless will hold up decently against saltwater, but overexposure will ultimately win (even if it does take a long time). Case in point, my S&W SWAT II has a stainless blade and is showing some light discoloration in spots due to it usually getting soaked. (it's not an expensive knife too)

The stainless like the kind used in shafts for boats however will not rust. Granted, electrolysis and marine life will eat away at it it it is over/under zinced and left to sit idle for a long time, but there are absolutely NO rust / discolored spots on those shafts. It all depends on the mixture.
I guess it would be better to say "extremely highly resistant" rather than proof, because it WILL eventually have some form of corrosion, just a hell of a lot longer than other metals.  

uryu ishida

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:56 am
I'm here to officially put forward that I now believe the shotgun to indeed be the superior anti-zombie weapon. My new research in shotguns while whittling down to the one I want to buy let me learn much about them.

There's the huge versatility of ammo. No mags to jam. Easy field strip for cleaning, plus quick-changeable barrels for longer shots or room-clearing. Also while playing MW2 with the lovable SPAS-12, I realized that I ran out of ammo maybe five times amid battle out of many hundreds of kills. I always seemed to be able to reload somewhere. Slipping in an extra two or three shells when ducking around a corner or hiding among some shrubbery usually made it to where I was never below a half tube.

Fres, I'm on your side. wink

Also, this is a good song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGfSHuMMAuY

Or maybe it's not, and I'm just in love with Mrs. McGlynn's voice. I'm biased.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:04 am
ArmasTermin
I'm here to officially put forward that I now believe the shotgun to indeed be the superior anti-zombie weapon. My new research in shotguns while whittling down to the one I want to buy let me learn much about them.

There's the huge versatility of ammo. No mags to jam. Easy field strip for cleaning, plus quick-changeable barrels for longer shots or room-clearing. Also while playing MW2 with the lovable SPAS-12, I realized that I ran out of ammo maybe five times amid battle out of many hundreds of kills. I always seemed to be able to reload somewhere. Slipping in an extra two or three shells when ducking around a corner or hiding among some shrubbery usually made it to where I was never below a half tube.

Makes me think about a pump action rifle though. Never held one, but they can't be any different to load, can they?

Anyways, I'm still a shotgun fan because of the versatility and availability of ammo as well.

I also find this song to be quite haunting, yet beautiful at the same time.  

Man of the Demoneye

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:52 pm
Man of the Demoneye
ArmasTermin

Makes me think about a pump action rifle though. Never held one, but they can't be any different to load, can they?

Anyways, I'm still a shotgun fan because of the versatility and availability of ammo as well.

The only two pump-action, centerfire rifles I know of are fed from removable box magazines.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:39 pm
Fresnel
Man of the Demoneye
ArmasTermin

The only two pump-action, centerfire rifles I know of are fed from removable box magazines.
There are plenty of pistol-caliber pump-action carbines, and they are fed from the side like a lever action. The IMI Timberwolf, which I want very much but it is expensive, feeds from the bottom like a shotgun, except it's in .357MAG.  

uryu ishida

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:15 pm
uryu ishida
Fresnel
Man of the Demoneye
ArmasTermin

There are plenty of pistol-caliber pump-action carbines, and they are fed from the side like a lever action. The IMI Timberwolf, which I want very much but it is expensive, feeds from the bottom like a shotgun, except it's in .357MAG.
Well, carbines are carbines, but I'm thinking rifles. The only two that come to mind are the Remington 7600 and 7615.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:51 am
I would go for the Knight's Armament ChainSAW. I mean, 600 rounds per minute and 100 rounds of ammunition. It's a fantasy gun that was made in real life and is not military issued.  

SniffyMK18

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:17 pm
SniffyMK18
I would go for the Knight's Armament ChainSAW. I mean, 600 rounds per minute and 100 rounds of ammunition. It's a fantasy gun that was made in real life and is not military issued.
It's still military. They took an M249 SAW and put a different grip on it.  
Zombies. Seriously.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff