Submit

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:14 pm
User ImageIt's not quite done, but I'm nearly there. I bought trim from Calontir Trim, will remove the coral clavi and replace them with bought trim. I also will finish embroidering the back of the gown, and then will put down more clavi with the bought trim on the undergown.

The icing on the cake is somehow making an enamelled plaque belt to work as my apprentice belt.

Yep, I be pleased with how well this is working.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:16 am
Brilliant, Dragostae!  

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:07 pm
Thanks, Divash!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:51 am
I'm so excited! Y'all know I do pottery, right? Okay, so about a week ago I advertised on Facebook just once, saying that I'd trade pottery for garb. Then I went out grocery shopping. By the time I got back, I had four responses from SCAdians who volunteered to make me garb. One lovely person wants six plates, because she has more than enough bowls, cups, and goblets; the others each want a set of feast gear (one plate, one bowl, one cup or goblet).

Best of all, each of the people who responded is highly dedicated to authenticity. They know to only use linen, cotton, wool, or soysilk (I can't wear regular silk, but nobody'll know the difference). They also know not to use any fabric that combines linen with wool in even the smallest degree, since I'm an observant Jew and I keep the law of shatnez (the law against combining linen and wool). I'm going to be very well dressed, come Gulf Wars. Yay!  

Divash

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Berzerker_prime

3,800 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:06 pm
The garb looks fabulous, Dragostae! ^_^

Divash
What's Costume Con, and what are the dates?

Here's a link.

http://www.cc28.org/  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:02 am
Oh, lovely. smile  

Divash

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Berzerker_prime

3,800 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:03 pm
I needed some new stuff for Gulf War, so I made myself some new fencing armor this past week. It came out wonderful.

I did learn, though, that "puncture resistant" and "button holes" are almost but not quite mutually exclusive. I needed to pound an awl through it to open the button holes after I sewed them.

I guess I can be pretty confident it's going to pass the drop test, though.

Oh my aching fingers...  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:05 am
Dragostae
It's not quite done, but I'm nearly there. I bought trim from Calontir Trim, will remove the coral clavi and replace them with bought trim. I also will finish embroidering the back of the gown, and then will put down more clavi with the bought trim on the undergown.

The icing on the cake is somehow making an enamelled plaque belt to work as my apprentice belt.

Yep, I be pleased with how well this is working.

All I can say is WOOOW!! I should et the info of the new(to me) dress I inherited! biggrin

A fantastic - INCREDIBLY AMAZING friend of mine (as in - I call her 'superwoman without the cape'. She used to be kingdom herlad, she's amazingly smart, and talented! She's a 7th degree (?) blackbelt ... just .. wow!) and her husband (also an amazing friend, and almost as awesome as she is) quit the SCA (tear).
Well - they also have to move. So since I'm helping her clean out her entire house, I've been 'inheriting' SCA stuff (BEAUTIFUL feast gear, books, tapes, etc etc) - and one of the things I got was this gorgeous velvet dress she made! biggrin

I'll have to put it on, take pictures, and post 'em. heart After I ask her time-period and such. 3nodding  

Naito_Mitsukai

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:22 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Naito - Oh, thank you! Yes, you should!

I'm done enough to call it done. I've gone ahead and taken photos of everything - clavi, collar, hem, etc. (Yes, there's even clavi on the undergown. It's not like anyone's going to even see it, but it's such a Byzantine thing, anyway.) I haven't quite figured out how to make the belt quite yet, but I'm not totally averse to buying the parts from someone who does, and then putting it together. It's either that, or embroidering a belt, which could also look cool.

Grar. I need more garb to decorate now.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:13 am
It looks so beautiful. What's a clavi? Is that the stripes that go down and define body versus arm? Where did you get the trim? I'm thinking now that I really need to look for some pretty trim to send to the next person from whom I commission garb. And by the way, I love all the shots of you in garb. You really know how to show off a garment. smile

Speaking of which, I've been trying to trade garb for pottery, with mixed success. The first set is here, and I'll be getting pictures of that at my next event, which will be in July, if not sooner. It's very well made, but I'm a bit frowny-faced at the fact that the arms are a bit snug, because I thought I'd given ample room -- I "padded" my arm measurements by a full inch, and yet they're still snug on the bicep, so I'm pretty sure I measured really wrong. Also, the trousers fit, but they're harem pants (poofy trouser with a gathered ankle), which existed nowhere in period. The garments are gorgeously made, though, and they might turn out to be my favorites.

The second item arrived as a mock-up that's only meant for trying-on purposes. The arms are WAY too small -- like, by a good 3 inches at least -- so now I know I did the arm measurements wrong. I sent the garment back for measurement edits.

The third item is taking its sweet time, but only because the seamstress is also an excellent researcher. She actually managed to find information on Yemenite garb in the late 12th/early 13th century, and is compiling it into a whole notebook, including some pictures. I'm giving her extra pottery pieces for all this extra work she's done, because she certainly didn't have to do it. The good Lady Verena came over last night to measure the two of us, because she lives near me, unlike the other two. Now that she has the measurements, she says it'll be quick work to actually finish the garments. I'm so excited I could just lose it. This garb, too, I'll be wearing at my next event in July.  

Divash

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:07 pm
Divash
It looks so beautiful. What's a clavi? Is that the stripes that go down and define body versus arm? Where did you get the trim? I'm thinking now that I really need to look for some pretty trim to send to the next person from whom I commission garb. And by the way, I love all the shots of you in garb. You really know how to show off a garment. smile

Yep, the clavi's the vertical stripes on the body. As for the trim, I got it from Calontir Trim (www.calontirtrim.com) - I highly recommend it, especially since Andrixos is such a well-traveled individual - he tries to make most of the major wars, and he's got some great prices, too. And thanks. I try. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:24 pm
Since the bad garb thread is going again, mayhap this thread needs to be resurrected.

An offering.

User Image  

Berzerker_prime

3,800 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Divash

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:22 am
Berserker_prime, I don't have a cultural reference point in my knowledge base for this. Would you describe the outfit in terms of period, place, construction, and other points of interest, so I can really appreciate it (beyond just thinking it looks hella cool)?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:41 am
My persona is that of a British woman from the south of Britain at the time of the Roman invasions around 44 CE. Clothing of that time and region was fairly simple in materials and cut but I wanted something that would have a bit of class. So I started out with all-linen garb and then began embroidering everything I have. I now have hand embroidered garb for all but four days of the full two weeks of Pennsic.

Here's a picture of one of my dresses:

-Iofa-

User Image  

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Out to the Black

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:31 pm
TN_Lark, that look awesome. You should post some close-up shots of the embroidery.

Berserker_prime, I'm going to second Divash's request for info. as well as her comment of Hella cool!  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff