Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Guild question Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:42 pm
Leona Moon
Can anyone suggest a plausible way to reverse 30+ years of etymological changes? Keeping in mind that A. People who are aware of the history will still continue to use the term in many cases and B. Most people really don't care C. Eclectic Wicca is far more widespread, popular, and accepted (even if it isn't necessarily "right") D. By the time you convince a larger group of people your viewpoint, Wicca from it's eclectic definition will have been in use long enough for most people still not care or agree.

Why don't more traditional Wiccans stand up for what they believe in and publish books on the subject? Post more videos? Respond to more eclectics?

A. Unless they are educated better
B. They should care. It's their religion they should care that they are calling their religion something that it's not
C. *sigh* and it's a damn shame about the amount of fluffies out there
D. So we should just give up trying to teach people better?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:48 pm
Leona Moon
Can anyone suggest a plausible way to reverse 30+ years of etymological changes?

Education. But it's hard and the masses who've adopted the "Eclectic Wicca" line don't seem very keen on partaking in it.
Quote:
Keeping in mind that A. People who are aware of the history will still continue to use the term in many cases

People will continue to use the term correctly or incorrectly?
Quote:
and B. Most people really don't care

Weak.
Quote:
C. Eclectic Wicca is far more widespread, popular, and accepted (even if it isn't necessarily "right")

So?
Racism is widespread, popular, and accepted in some places, so should we not try to correct it? What about sexism too? Should we let that go by the wayside as well?
Quote:
D. By the time you convince a larger group of people your viewpoint, Wicca from it's eclectic definition will have been in use long enough for most people still not care or agree.

You seem to enjoy this whole "Oh well no one will care or notice anyways - better off to just not waste the time and energy!"

Quote:
Why don't more traditional Wiccans stand up for what they believe in and publish books on the subject? Post more videos? Respond to more eclectics?

Not all Wiccans can agree on it. There is no over-arching Council of Wiccans. And you *should* know that the bulk of Wicca can't be published or given out to non-initiates.

Really, I honestly think that so many Wiccans are sick and tired of repeating the same information to self-important, uneducated Eclectics that they've gone into a sort of Pagan retirement. They aren't as active in larger communities because of the way they and their faith are treated. It isn't unusual for Eclectics to treat people belonging to a tradition as "elitists" or "snobs" or similar. So really, I don't blame them at all for not tripping over themselves to go and mingle with the larger Pagan scene and trying to educate.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Leona Moon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:55 pm
I'm not saying that all of it is necessarily right. You should do what you believe in, I'm just pointing out that it's going to be extremely difficult. To be honest, I think racism and sexism are much more important issues than etymological disagreements. Yes I do know they can't publish the inner court teachings, I had meant publishing their opinions on this whole issue with facts to back it up. I don't think all of this is the reason to give up and accept eclectic Wicca, but these are important issues to consider you're going to stand against it. Good luck to you all.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:01 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff

Gardner is dead.

The Coven is still in Existance isn't it? >>

Quote:

Because "Eclectic Neo-pagan Witchcraft" just isn't as catchy ninja .

This made me giggle.

And I also Agree... People are looking for "Wicca" Not Pagan... It makes me wanna slap some Authors...

Once again I'm Running on the Witching hour once again... x.x

Lucas Moonrose

Shapeshifter

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:04 pm
Lucas Moonrose
Violet Song jat Shariff

Gardner is dead.

Well, in theory. But I doubt any of Gardner's original lot are still around. As time went on some hived off, some left to form other Trads or to explore other religions, some died. I'd be surprised if there was anyone within one initatory link of Garder still around running the same coven.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:08 pm
Lucas Moonrose
Violet Song jat Shariff

Gardner is dead.

If by 'The Coven' you mean covens that can trace their lineage back to Gardner then yes of course! Otherwise we wouldn't be talking about all this lol

Edit: But I don't really know what you meant by 'The Coven'  

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

Lucas Moonrose

Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:12 pm
This is all just one big Jumbled and Confusing mess.

This would be much easier if we could get a book out on what isn't Wiccan.

Though it'd be a pretty hard Venture to try seeing as people are looking for what Wicca is and not what it isn't..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:14 pm
Esselean
[But I don't really know what you meant by 'The Coven'

I meant Gerald's Original Coven. Though Sanguina has already cleared up that question for me.  

Lucas Moonrose

Shapeshifter

Leona Moon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:14 pm
Lucas Moonrose

That would be a good start for your cause. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:19 pm
Leona Moon
Lucas Moonrose

I'm not much of a writer... x.x

Lucas Moonrose

Shapeshifter

Leona Moon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:21 pm
Lucas Moonrose
Leona Moon
Lucas Moonrose

I'm not much of a writer... x.x

Others seem to know a hell of a lot about it, and spend a great deal of time talking and debating about it, I'm sure some of you can get together and produce something worth reading.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:23 pm
Lucas Moonrose

Though it'd be a pretty hard Venture to try seeing as people are looking for what Wicca is and not what it isn't..

and they don't want to read a book telling them how wrong they are. They don't even want to read posts that tell them their ideas of Wicca are not right... *sigh* It can be very draining sometimes  

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

Leona Moon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:28 pm
Esselean
Lucas Moonrose

and they don't want to read a book telling them how wrong they are. They don't even want to read posts that tell them their ideas of Wicca are not right... *sigh* It can be very draining sometimes

Some people will read the book and consider what it has to say, and they will educate others on the subject. I'm not saying it will convert the masses, but if it's such a huge issue then I don't see a good reason not to try. You'll have to also focus on what it is, not just what it's not. What people make of it is beyond your control.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:40 pm
Esselean

Most people are either too stubborn or too scared to find out. I stopped calling myself wiccan about a year into my study. Though when I found out a lot of the stuff Lamia and I were following was Incorrect, we were heart broken.

With the help of the people within the guilds and the support Lamia and I have of eachother, we were able to find footing in our own paths in witchcraft.

Lucas Moonrose

Shapeshifter

Lucas Moonrose

Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:43 pm
Leona Moon

Some people will read the book and consider what it has to say, and they will educate others on the subject. I'm not saying it will convert the masses, but if it's such a huge issue then I don't see a good reason not to try. You'll have to also focus on what it is, not just what it's not. What people make of it is beyond your control.

Aha! Do what they do and put out a book about learning witchcraft and Paganism. Throw Wicca on the cover. And then post that really long thing on what Wicca is and why you shouldn't call yourself it >> "Morgandira's Wiccan-info dump" I read it in one of Sanguina's Journals...

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games