Mossberg 590
View Results

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:33 pm
owenmarco
ArmasTermin
Apparently there are tacticaled shotguns available factory stock from Remington (learned from Nutnfancy review on youTube). But they're not on the official website, which is odd. I mean, why not mention them?
Because they mostly don't sell them directly to civilians. Their Police models are restricted for sale (new from Remington, anyway), and there are even parts that are restricted to only owners of Police models.

Mossberg sells all of their shotguns to the public wink
No, they just put all their "tactical" firearms under a separate category. I ran into the 870 Express Tactical I've been drooling over at my local d**k's. That was a surprise, actually.

Remington Military only makes two models of 700 and the 870MCS.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:29 pm
Fresnel
owenmarco
ArmasTermin
Apparently there are tacticaled shotguns available factory stock from Remington (learned from Nutnfancy review on youTube). But they're not on the official website, which is odd. I mean, why not mention them?
Because they mostly don't sell them directly to civilians. Their Police models are restricted for sale (new from Remington, anyway), and there are even parts that are restricted to only owners of Police models.

No, they just put all their "tactical" firearms under a separate category. I ran into the 870 Express Tactical I've been drooling over at my local d**k's. That was a surprise, actually.

Aha! Want:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_tactical.asp

Contender:

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=5

Lols:

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50591.jpg

And the next, nearest gun show is in mid-January...  

ArmasTermin

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:35 pm
owenmarco
Requiem in Mortis
I don't know whether I'd get an 870, a Mossberg 500/590, or an Ithaca 37. I'm leaning towards the latter, because then I don't have to search for a lefty version.
And you're in luck. They just release the Defense model. A lot cheaper than the $700-$800 for their featherweights, and still cheaper than most used models. You just give up removing the barrel or changing chokes.

Browning also makes the BPS, which bottom-ejects like the Ithaca.
Don't worry, I probably won't be trying to remove the barrel, and I don't know if I need a choke if I'm only using it for home defense and target practice.

What I want to know, though, is if I can replace the regular stock with a stock with a pistol grip. It's no big deal if I can't.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:14 am
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
owenmarco
ArmasTermin

Aha! Want:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_tactical.asp
The second one, with the ghost ring sights... that's the one I want. A few words about that choke, though. It is not a breaching choke, though those are available from Trulock. It is also not decorative. It's actually a muzzle brake, and I hear it's rather effective. I don't know if 590's come threaded for chokes, but I suspect not. IMO, that gives another leg-up to Remington. They offer a rifled extended choke (~$45, and extended chokes need no wrench) that will fit that shotgun, and allows you to fire slugs with increased accuracy, and sabots with... accuracy. Better than smoothbore for sure, but I've never seen a comparison of rifled barrel vs. rifled choke. This is the shotgun I found at d**k's for MSRP ($505, IIRC), so if you have one nearby you might look there.

Unfortunately, that just shows the main 590 page, defaulting to the "lols" shotgun you linked below. xd  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Hans Reiker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:46 am
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
owenmarco
ArmasTermin

Aha! Want:

The second one, with the ghost ring sights... that's the one I want. A few words about that choke, though. It is not a breaching choke, though those are available from Trulock. It is also not decorative. It's actually a muzzle brake, and I hear it's rather effective. I don't know if 590's come threaded for chokes, but I suspect not. IMO, that gives another leg-up to Remington. They offer a rifled extended choke (~$45, and extended chokes need no wrench) that will fit that shotgun, and allows you to fire slugs with increased accuracy, and sabots with... accuracy. Better than smoothbore for sure, but I've never seen a comparison of rifled barrel vs. rifled choke. This is the shotgun I found at d**k's for MSRP ($505, IIRC), so if you have one nearby you might look there.

Unfortunately, that just shows the main 590 page, defaulting to the "lols" shotgun you linked below. xd
And the awesome thing is I could et it for probabaly almost $100 cheaper.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:41 am
Thoughts on that top-folding stock: In addition to the heavy recoil when not deployed (fired as a pistol grip) it would offer a crappy cheek weld when deployed.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The bars making up the stock are straight vertical with the ground, offering no contour.

So the pros on this thing so far are: holds another five rounds, looks cool. And since one can put an elastic shell holder on a standard stock...

I don't know if that's enough reason to use it. I think I'll just go for the vertical foregrip. I like the ones that look like the ones on the Thompson.

Here's one:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

ArmasTermin

owenmarco

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:53 pm
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
owenmarco
ArmasTermin

Aha! Want:

Chokes are a point of failure, which is why most combat shotguns aren't threaded for them and instead have a fixed choke of either Cylinder, Improved Cylinder, or Modified.

Muzzlebrakes on shotguns are decried as a waste of cash by actual shotgunners. Because of the lower pressures shotguns employ, there is little force exerted from the ports. Most can't tell the difference. Here is a fairly long discussion about them.

As to the rifled choke for accuracy:Look here. The general consensus is, for the costs overall, you're better off matching the right rifled slug with the least restrictive choke you have (Such as Improved Cylinder), and Brennekkes are inherently more accurate than Foster because they have a tighter fit in the bore.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:55 pm
Requiem in Mortis
owenmarco
Requiem in Mortis
I don't know whether I'd get an 870, a Mossberg 500/590, or an Ithaca 37. I'm leaning towards the latter, because then I don't have to search for a lefty version.
And you're in luck. They just release the Defense model. A lot cheaper than the $700-$800 for their featherweights, and still cheaper than most used models. You just give up removing the barrel or changing chokes.

Browning also makes the BPS, which bottom-ejects like the Ithaca.
Don't worry, I probably won't be trying to remove the barrel, and I don't know if I need a choke if I'm only using it for home defense and target practice.

What I want to know, though, is if I can replace the regular stock with a stock with a pistol grip. It's no big deal if I can't.
I doubt anyone makes one for the Ithaca 37.

Generally, they aren't useful anyway. Just looks, mostly.  

owenmarco

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:58 pm
Horrified Survivor
590 SP. It has a bayonet lug. End of discussion

User Image

They can all have bayonet lugs.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:49 pm
Man of the Demoneye
Horrified Survivor
590 SP. It has a bayonet lug. End of discussion

User Image

They can all have bayonet lugs.
If you're a metal worker and don't mind it being a substandard setup. The original Trench Guns (all... I guess there have been a good five different ones) had a separate piece, but it fit a lot better as was part of a heatshield. It was braced a lot better.  

owenmarco

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:05 pm
owenmarco
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
owenmarco

Aha! Want:

Chokes are a point of failure, which is why most combat shotguns aren't threaded for them and instead have a fixed choke of either Cylinder, Improved Cylinder, or Modified.

Muzzlebrakes on shotguns are decried as a waste of cash by actual shotgunners. Because of the lower pressures shotguns employ, there is little force exerted from the ports. Most can't tell the difference. Here is a fairly long discussion about them.

As to the rifled choke for accuracy:Look here. The general consensus is, for the costs overall, you're better off matching the right rifled slug with the least restrictive choke you have (Such as Improved Cylinder), and Brennekkes are inherently more accurate than Foster because they have a tighter fit in the bore.
The only failures I can think of that would happen with a choke would not in any way disable the gun. At worst, they'd loosen your pattern by creating a slightly reversed choke (if the choke tube falls out completely).

I didn't even know it WAS a muzzle brake until someone said that switching chokes away from it increased recoil, and someone else told him that the standard tactical choke was a brake. I've heard from other sources that the reduction is noticeable as well.

One guy says in there that a rifled choke costs twice as much as any other choke? On MidwayUSA, it's among the cheapest. It's also extended by a full inch beyond the muzzle, so it would certainly throw on more spin than the flush-sitting choke tubes I have no doubt those reviewers used.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:52 pm
Well I'm somehow still deciding. I don't know if I want the Mossberg or the Remington. They both have their little advantages, but that fact that either would be an excellent gun makes it harder.

The top-mounted tang safety on the Mossberg seems ideal, along with the ambi controls. Although I'm left-handed, I use long guns as a righty. But there's always the chance that, despite being fairly useless, I'll slap a pistol grip on the thing just for fun. And if I did, the safety would be totally out of reach.

The constantly-up feeding lever thing is a good idea, and technically superior. And I know I'm an idiot, but for no reason at all I think I prefer the idea of the lever being down until pushed up to insert a shell. It might be unecessary, but it feels like it should be that way.

Mossberg has a bayonet lug, which I can see myself screwing around with. And that would be fun.

Remington supposedly has a smoother action, and a slightly crisper trigger. Since we're talking shotguns, a trigger that breaks like a glass rod isn't really necessary, but it's a plus.

But I don't know. crying  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:24 pm
ArmasTermin
Mossberg has a bayonet lug, which I can see myself screwing around with. And that would be fun.
This will be among the last things that I add to my 870.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:32 pm
Two more points.

I don't actually know what the slide release does on a pump shotgun. lol

I believe chokes work by forcing the shot and sabot through a smaller diameter than the bore, changing the pattern. Am I wrong?  

ArmasTermin

Hans Reiker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:35 pm
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
This will be among the last things that I add to my 870.
So more than likely, I will have the money for anything like up to 700 bucks. I am now debating between a Mossberg 590A1 and the Remington 870 Police Magnum, I don't know what I want!  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff