Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
The "Why Do..." / "How Come..." Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Stegsie

Tiny Friend

12,600 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:06 pm
OhNoesItsMiho
How come people stare like this: " eek " when they see a person walking around in an all knit cosplay?

Is it because it's SO rare or is it because they think, "HOLY SHI----something's wrong with that person."
And every time you ask him for another vanishing act,
he half smiles as if to say...

Honestly, I would stare because I think that's freaking amazing, with all the time, effort, and skill that's needed to make a costume like that.

Were you the one who knit her Super Milk-Chan cosplay? Because that has to be the peak of epicness in my book~

..."Whatever you want,
whatever you want,
whatever you want is fine by me."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:13 pm
@Music: Yes ma'am. I had to knit all the panels a month before the con. I got lazy toward the end when it came to sewing everything together so I finished it October 14th of last year. Supposedly a few people wanna see me in that outfit again for Colossalcon. *Knitting prototype pants right now for a future cosplay*

How come satin isn't a good material for someone's outfit?  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Sephiroths samurai girl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:44 pm
OhNoesItsMiho
@Music: Yes ma'am. I had to knit all the panels a month before the con. I got lazy toward the end when it came to sewing everything together so I finished it October 14th of last year. Supposedly a few people wanna see me in that outfit again for Colossalcon. *Knitting prototype pants right now for a future cosplay*

How come satin isn't a good material for someone's outfit?

It isn't all satin fabrics, just the cheap fantastically shiny stuff like you see commonly used for Sailor Moon skirts that people generally object to using. It looks and feels cheap and will show up horribly in photos.
Some of the more expensive satins however such as duchess is significantly less blindingly shiny and looks absolutely wonderful for some costumes, especially ballgowns, upper class robes etc as it fits with the more higher class setting of the characters. It's really all about fabric choice to suit the costume (ie Edward Elric coat in shiny satin is just no!).

For the knitted thing, for me it would be a mixture of two things. One being the amazement that someone actually knitted the whole costume. I suck at sewing so something like that to me shows that the person has some awesome knitting skills!
The second would probably be wondering why they chose to knit the whole thing and not go for a more accurate fabric if I knew the original costume design wasn't knitted. For me, fabric choice is something I'm very picky over and won't compromise with. I like to get something that's going to be similar to the texture of the costume, thickness, the way it hangs etc. It's like the ductape costumes really, looks really awesome but does make me wonder why. X3  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:51 pm
lol I can picture that now!!! *Sees an annoyingly bright school girl skirt* "MY EYES!!!!!!"

Well, how about felt fabric? I'm sorry for all these questions. I just have no clue. ^^;;  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Sephiroths samurai girl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:22 am
OhNoesItsMiho
lol I can picture that now!!! *Sees an annoyingly bright school girl skirt* "MY EYES!!!!!!"

Well, how about felt fabric? I'm sorry for all these questions. I just have no clue. ^^;;

It's no problem. ^^
Felt is really only for hats and small accessories like patches. If you can find sheets big enough I really wouldn't attempt to make costumes from it. While it has a lot of give, once stretched the fabric remains that way and becomes thinner as it's stretched. The same happens with stitching, if it's pulled it will widen the holes around the stitches meaning eventually it'll rip. It's really not for clothing as it just doesn't work well and anything that you'd look to make from it would probably be easier made with a heavy wool like they use in military uniforms.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:09 pm
I've only seen one duct tape cosplay. It was a cool looking kimono.

O-o Why are there con creepers in the first place?

Seriously, if you're giving hints that you don't want that person bugging you, then they should back off >-<

Btw, I checked out your site. I like the costumes and wigs <3  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:58 pm
OhNoesItsMiho
They are creepers because even if u hint that u don't want them they will insist. Some creepers even if u tell them 2 get the f off and stop bugging u. They might still try that is y they are called creepers.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:46 pm
I've heard this a few times, but why do some people highly dislike dance skits? I mean, yeah, the Hare Hare Yukai and Lucky Star dances are a tad overdone, but if they're done well, they aren't bad at all.  

Cooley Fair

5,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100

FreakingCosmicKid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:02 pm
Okay, why do some people overly criticize on WHERE people got their cosplays and NOT THE ACTUAL OUTFIT?

I've heard so many people say they hate "those hot topic cosplays" but if you find something that fits the person you're trying to cosplay, why should the location of it's purchase matter?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:14 am
@Cooley: I think people don't like dance skits-besides the fact that they are over done-is that they want to watch something that'll keep them entertained. Personally I love dance skits when they are amazing but most of the time they aren't.

@Dattebayo: When people say "those hot topic cosplays" it is mainly referring to the cosplays which are completely bought at hot topic (like some Misa cosplays). I think if you find something that could be used as a part of the outfit then that's fine (like accessories).  

Rishiki

Sephiroths samurai girl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:32 am
I have no problem with dance skits in general, some of the Sailor Moon dances I've seen really well done and are just spot on. It's great to see something like that as it's rarely done and every time I've seen it is always well practised.
It's the ridiculously long ones and horribly overdone ones like Lucky Star and Haruhi that bug me. The first time it was cool, the second time it was improved upon, the third forth fifth etc times it was annoying and I wanted to hang myself. As there's limited time and spaces for skits, most cons here have actually stopped accepting things like that now because people are just bored of seeing it.
You'd get multiple entries of the same dance back when it first started. Like Rishiki said, people watch the skits to be entertained and see something new and unique, not the same (nearly always badly done) dance that everyone is doing.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:04 pm
Omg the I luv the Haruhi dances but they are way 2 over done. There is almost nowhere a person can walk in a big con without seeing some1 doing hare hare or talking about hare hare.  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

Kausa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:54 pm
Why do people who are "popular" online for cosplaying turn out to be complete jerkwads? Or generally anyone who is good at cosplaying for that matter?

My friend went to a four day con last year, and he couldnt finish his wig before hand because it was his first styled wig. So he brought it the first day and asked all the good cosplayers to help him. They all told him to pretty much go F*** himself. But the slightly worse cosplayers were actually willing to help.

The same con, my other friend and I met a really popular cosplay group from Deivantart.com, and they were big jerks. XD Oddly enough, we met them again at a different con in Nov. and they were big jerks. But we saw them being mean to other people to, so it made us feel less...Singled out.

As for the Kingdom Hearts cosplayers...>.< My first cosplay was a Riku street style with two friends (they were Roxas and Axel). We worked on them FOREVER and somehow the actual outfits turned out like crap. The wigs were good, but they came off looking half a**. At least I think so.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:09 am
Kausa
Why do people who are "popular" online for cosplaying turn out to be complete jerkwads? Or generally anyone who is good at cosplaying for that matter?

My friend went to a four day con last year, and he couldnt finish his wig before hand because it was his first styled wig. So he brought it the first day and asked all the good cosplayers to help him. They all told him to pretty much go F*** himself. But the slightly worse cosplayers were actually willing to help.

The same con, my other friend and I met a really popular cosplay group from Deivantart.com, and they were big jerks. XD Oddly enough, we met them again at a different con in Nov. and they were big jerks. But we saw them being mean to other people to, so it made us feel less...Singled out.

As for the Kingdom Hearts cosplayers...>.< My first cosplay was a Riku street style with two friends (they were Roxas and Axel). We worked on them FOREVER and somehow the actual outfits turned out like crap. The wigs were good, but they came off looking half a**. At least I think so.

That's a pretty big generalisation you're making. It's true some aren't very nice but there are a lot of "popular" cosplayers who are perfectly lovely people. A lot of the US "professional" cosplayers especially, have a lot of drama following them around and some are generally not very nice to some people but it really is a minority that shouldn't be applied to everyone who's a good cosplayer but it's easily done. ><

I've found that the majority of people who like to b***h about the better cosplayers I know, normally don't know them in the slightest and are just basing their opinion off one 5 minute meeting or what they've read on somewhere like 4chan. It's true there are some who could do with a better personality but you'll always get people like that in life and most of them are very polite approachable people that people just assume are nasty because of their skill level. I'm probably somewhat biased as I am friends with the majority of the "popular" cosplayers here and I guess am fairly well known in the community myself for my skills, but I do find it a little sad when people openly admit they feel they can't talk to some of us because they're classed as "popular" and think they'll just look down on them.

In terms of your friend, I can see why some people refused to help him. Obviously that's not the best way to turn someone down, and people should be polite about it, but I'm sure no one goes to a con only to be asked to style a wig for a complete stranger and it can be a little annoying especially if you're in costume. I only agree to style wigs at a con if I've said I'll be doing it online and people have asked me before hand, if people just approach me with wig in hand then I'll likely refuse them especially when in costume because I'm clearly not dressed to style a wig. Perhaps if your friend had asked online before the con, or if they had one gone to the cosplay organiser and asked if they had anyone to help or just the tools for him to do it himself he would have had more luck. It's a shame people were rude to him but it really wasn't the best approach to use unfortunately.  

Sephiroths samurai girl

Kausa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:04 pm
Sephiroths samurai girl
Kausa

That's a pretty big generalisation you're making. It's true some aren't very nice but there are a lot of "popular" cosplayers who are perfectly lovely people. A lot of the US "professional" cosplayers especially, have a lot of drama following them around and some are generally not very nice to some people but it really is a minority that shouldn't be applied to everyone who's a good cosplayer but it's easily done. ><

I've found that the majority of people who like to b***h about the better cosplayers I know, normally don't know them in the slightest and are just basing their opinion off one 5 minute meeting or what they've read on somewhere like 4chan. It's true there are some who could do with a better personality but you'll always get people like that in life and most of them are very polite approachable people that people just assume are nasty because of their skill level. I'm probably somewhat biased as I am friends with the majority of the "popular" cosplayers here and I guess am fairly well known in the community myself for my skills, but I do find it a little sad when people openly admit they feel they can't talk to some of us because they're classed as "popular" and think they'll just look down on them.

In terms of your friend, I can see why some people refused to help him. Obviously that's not the best way to turn someone down, and people should be polite about it, but I'm sure no one goes to a con only to be asked to style a wig for a complete stranger and it can be a little annoying especially if you're in costume. I only agree to style wigs at a con if I've said I'll be doing it online and people have asked me before hand, if people just approach me with wig in hand then I'll likely refuse them especially when in costume because I'm clearly not dressed to style a wig. Perhaps if your friend had asked online before the con, or if they had one gone to the cosplay organiser and asked if they had anyone to help or just the tools for him to do it himself he would have had more luck. It's a shame people were rude to him but it really wasn't the best approach to use unfortunately.
He wasnt asking people to style it for him, he was asking for tips. >.<
And it was the pre-con thingy, like when you get your badge. I guess I didnt make that clear. (Half asleep)
But I do see where your coming from. ^_^ Thanks for the answer.  
Miscellaneous Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff