Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:31 pm
Variola Major
Fresnel
Variola Major
Quote:
Quote:
2. The M16 and M4 are s**t compared to the other assault rifles you listed, and to MOST assault rifles, period. Given the choice between a Tavor and an M16, I'd take the Tavor.
Most DMR's in Iraq love the M16, and the M4 is only going to be replaced by other carbines that aren't bullpups. Also, where'd you get the idea that they're s**t?
I dunno where Rquiem got that idea that the AR platform is s**t, but I would point out that the M4 and M16 are being fully replaced by the Tavor in Israeli service. They tested the M4 and Tavor side-by-side, and even deployed a unit into combat with the Tavor to see how well it would do, and concluded that the Tavor was the better rifle. I'm sure that counts for something. Also, the FAMAS is very popular with it's users. The French soldiers love it, especially for it's superb reliability under battlefield conditions.

Quote:
Quote:
3. The bullpup design is a solid idea. It allows for a smaller, more compact weapon with the same-length barrel- basically, it's a carbine with a rifle barrel. The biggest problem I can think of is casings ejecting into your face if you hold a bullpup meant for a right-handed shooter in your left hand, but some bullpups solve this by having an ejection port on both sides that can be used with slight modification (AUG and Tavor), pushing the round forward down a tube before ejecting it (F2000), or ejecting out the bottom (P90).
The bullpup design is a stupid idea. It makes the whole rifle shorter by putting the shooter[/t] at more risk during malfunctions, most of them have s**t balance that makes it feel like you're shouldering a whiffle bat from a lead handle, (AUG feels good, though,) and if a gun like the F2000 jams, you have to fields strip the damn thing to get it working again.
Explosive malfuctions such as that are extremely rare. How often do assault rifles explode during firing? Not enough to worry about it. If they did, nobody would use them for fear of losing a hand. Second, read up on the Tavor and FAMAS. Both are said to be pretty well balanced. Third, the F2000 does not represent all bullpup assault rifles.
One word: Nepotism. We put the M14 in service, too.

I've personally seen three rifles explode: two ARs and an M1A. Both the ARs destroyed the bolt carrier and magazine, but the rest was fully salvageable. The M1A cracked in ******** half, splintered the action and stock, and the magazine came out the TOP of the rifle, trumpeted. BAD idea to make it a bullpup.
Again, how often do you actually hear of that s**t happening (with standard or conventional designs) in military service? Almost never. Perhaps because it's not a legitimate concern. Really, you're just being paranoid. The chances of such a malfunction are astronomical If it were a legitimate concern, you'd hear the reports of it happening. Guess what? You don't. ******** happen. I watched a friend almost lose a hand because he ******** up. Damage mitigation is a GOOD THING. If it were a bullpup, he'd be dead. This isn't "but you never HEAR about that...", I ******** watched it happen twenty feet away.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:53 pm
Tier One OPERATOR
You know, catastrophic failures aren't really common at all beyond stress testing in a rifle that's being treated right. By which I mean not fed s**t, not fed more than it can chew, operating with a clear action (not clean, just not clogged up). Most serious failures- INCLUDING the infamous Glock kB! failures- are due in a large part to operator error in feeding s**t it's not rated for.
Eat this, Fresnel. Now, I respect you, and I like you, but I think you are wrong here. I just don't see this kind of failure as something common enough to be worrying about. If it were, I'd be reading the mounds of reports about French soldiers getting their faces blown off by their FAMAS rifles exploding. Yet, I am not. This would be because a well made bullpup (Which the FAMAS G2 model is, being a superbly reliable, durable, and trustworthy weapon that is combat proven and almost universally loved by the people who actually use it.) isn't any more likely to blow up than any other rifle.  

Variola Major

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:46 am
Variola Major
Tier One OPERATOR
You know, catastrophic failures aren't really common at all beyond stress testing in a rifle that's being treated right. By which I mean not fed s**t, not fed more than it can chew, operating with a clear action (not clean, just not clogged up). Most serious failures- INCLUDING the infamous Glock kB! failures- are due in a large part to operator error in feeding s**t it's not rated for.
Eat this, Fresnel. Now, I respect you, and I like you, but I think you are wrong here. I just don't see this kind of failure as something common enough to be worrying about. If it were, I'd be reading the mounds of reports about French soldiers getting their faces blown off by their FAMAS rifles exploding. Yet, I am not. This would be because a well made bullpup (Which the FAMAS G2 model is, being a superbly reliable, durable, and trustworthy weapon that is combat proven and almost universally loved by the people who actually use it.) isn't any more likely to blow up than any other rifle.
The FAMAS has absolutely no basis in the M14, your argument is invalid. I'm saying here specifically that the OP's gun is a far worse idea than most. An AR-15, when it blows, shoots everything out the mag well. You build a bullpup on that design principle, the guy gets a burned bicep, big ******** deal. The M14/M1A, when it blows, shoots everything out the top AND cracks in half. That's where your face sits. Have fun picking shards of plastic out of your retinas. I have no idea how the FAMAS charge is shaped, maybe it blows the barrel out the end for all I know.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:00 am
Fresnel
Variola Major
Tier One OPERATOR
The FAMAS has absolutely no basis in the M14, your argument is invalid. I'm saying here specifically that the OP's gun is a far worse idea than most. An AR-15, when it blows, shoots everything out the mag well. You build a bullpup on that design principle, the guy gets a burned bicep, big ******** deal. The M14/M1A, when it blows, shoots everything out the top AND cracks in half. That's where your face sits. Have fun picking shards of plastic out of your retinas. I have no idea how the FAMAS charge is shaped, maybe it blows the barrel out the end for all I know.
You have a point there.

I don't know what the FAMAS does when it blows up, but I do know it has a reputation for trustworthiness, which would seem to suggest it isn't too bad when that happens, or it wouldn't be considered so trustworthy.  

Variola Major

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:16 pm
OK, so I got to hold one at Crossroads on Sunday. They do feel very well made, and they are MUCH lighter than I thought they would be. It's made of aluminum, so there's the reason.

The company took kBs into account, and that's another reason they chose aluminum. It is less brittle than steel, so instead of cracking and fragmenting and shrapnel to the face, you get ballooning and facial bruising and maybe a tooth or two knocked out. Also, there is a cover directly above the ejection port to deflect the brass out to the right.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff