Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Daffodil Movement

Back to Guilds

Guild for the Daffodil Movement, a cancer awareness movement here on Gaia. 

Tags: cancer, awareness, daffodils, daffodil, movement 

Reply Chat Forum [random chat and blah blah]
How has it affected you? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who do you blame?
God.
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Yourself.
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Other.
75%
 75%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 44

Symbolon

Blessed Cleric

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:14 pm
My grandfather had kidney cancer, but recovered. He died last year of other causes.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:16 am
I joined this guild last year after my sister was diagnosed with uterine cancer. She lost her fight just before Christmas. Since then my other sister and my mother both have been diagnosed with melanoma's that weren't caught in time and have spread to their bones and livers.

We as a people are living longer and cancer is a disease of old age (not saying that young people don't have it) It's estimated that one in four will have some form of cancer in their lifetimes. Don't be complacent, if you have suspicions, get it checked out. If someone in your immediate family has cancer, be even more vigilant.

I wish all of you peace in coming to terms with your losses. Seeing them pass away is hard but the earth keeps turning, the world keeps moving and doesn't even pause to mourn the loss of such lovely souls and that's what really hurts.  

dovemck

Aged Prophet

8,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200

Blaizekit
Captain

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:26 pm
Melanoma that's spread to other body parts is extremely serious. I am so worried for them and I hope they recover. sad I also hope that the spreading can at least be contained.

For my mom, it spread to her lungs and her brain, and since the brain is such a complex organ, there was pretty much no hope after that.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:45 am
I chose Other. I Blame my Faulty chromosomes {APL is due to a translocation -an exchange of chromosome material- between chromosomes 15 and 17} but what the poll didn't ask is what has cancer given you? cancer has taken away a year of my life, my unborn child, my hair, much of my self esteem, and my ability to be self reliant. But it gave me a no fear outlook on life, it forced me to seize opportunities i would have let slip by because of fear, it has damn near made me fearless, it gave me courage, it forced me to embrace my looks without the ONLY feature i loved about myself. Cancer has given me far more than it has taken from me. it made me a survivor. I can make it through ANYTHING because i have survived cancer. i can do anything i think of without guilt or fear. cancer has given me a life worth living.  

RACHEL THE BOB

Shirtless Bloodsucker

13,215 Points
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Tooth Fairy 100

Valrial Antares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:55 pm
My dad has cancer in his esophagus, lungs, and now his brain. Everyone is making funeral plans and treatment has stopped. I still expect to wake up one morning to find him all better but I know that just can't happen. I don't know how to accept this or handle it at all.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Valrial Antares
My dad has cancer in his esophagus, lungs, and now his brain. Everyone is making funeral plans and treatment has stopped. I still expect to wake up one morning to find him all better but I know that just can't happen. I don't know how to accept this or handle it at all.

*hugs* I know exactly how you feel. It's all very surreal when people are saying things and making plans. It's downright horrible.  

Blaizekit
Captain

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300

Valrial Antares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:11 pm
Blaizekit
Valrial Antares

*hugs* I know exactly how you feel. It's all very surreal when people are saying things and making plans. It's downright horrible.

I'm very glad I was invited to this guild. I really don't have anyone to talk to about it. Everyone seems to have accepted it but I'm not past denying it all. Thanks for the support and understanding.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:17 pm
Valrial Antares
Blaizekit
Valrial Antares

I'm very glad I was invited to this guild. I really don't have anyone to talk to about it. Everyone seems to have accepted it but I'm not past denying it all. Thanks for the support and understanding.

I remember when my mom was admitted to the hospice, how it seemed like it was over, and yet I didn't want it to be or even think that it necessarily was. You know? I even refused to let her see me sad because I didn't want her to think I was giving up.

Just try not to be angry with other people for acting more accepting. It may be that they're just trying to cope with it in their own way. And then, of course, no one can feel about it the same way that you do.  

Blaizekit
Captain

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300

Sukip

5,850 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:29 pm
My cat had leukemia. We had to put him down a couple of weeks ago.
But he had the best life a cat could ask for. Lived as the king of the house, his servants would do anything for him, and he was big and fat razz
heart heart  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:40 pm
My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer around the time I was in 8th grade.
Very scary stuff at the time because of all the stress and the fact that we didn't know how bad it was.
I am very thankful she is still alive and it hasn't come back. My dad smokes so I'm concerned.
(Now I am more careful about what I say to my parents...)

I had grandparents die from cancer. My grandma on my dads side...
I was only 3 so I never understood what was going on at the time. She had cancer of the throat.
My grandpa on my moms side was during the summer after 6th grade. I couldn't do anything except sit there and hope for the best. He had cancer in his bones.

Then there's more...

-FoolishBox-

Invisible Spark

Meia15

Codebreaking Genius

8,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:30 pm
My mother's friend's daughter had cancer, and I think she beat it.
My grandmother just recovered from stage 4 cancer (I can't remember which type though).

I equipped daffodils last year and I intend to do it again this year...
But the daffodil layering isn't right... User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:06 pm
my dad has colon cancer and it has spread to his liver and lungs.... crying they say he has up to 3 years.... i dont know what i would do if.. he is like my best friend i love him soooo much... i lost my gma to cancer as well  

shoiryuken

7,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

Blaizekit
Captain

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:48 am
Meia15
My mother's friend's daughter had cancer, and I think she beat it.
My grandmother just recovered from stage 4 cancer (I can't remember which type though).

I equipped daffodils last year and I intend to do it again this year...
But the daffodil layering isn't right... User Image
User Image

The Deluxe bouquet is very glitchy. xP I'm going to post a warning about it on the first post of the TDM thread. Hopefully by doing that, people will donate fewer Deluxe bouquets so we won't be giving out nothing but glitchy ones. xD

The middle-sized and smallest ones are much better.

Cool avi, too. 3nodding We were just talking the other day about how the Zodiacal hair is perfect for the Cervical team.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:52 am
shoiryuken
my dad has colon cancer and it has spread to his liver and lungs.... crying they say he has up to 3 years.... i dont know what i would do if.. he is like my best friend i love him soooo much... i lost my gma to cancer as well

Colon cancer is a more serious thing than people give it credit for. sad Just try to be strong and keep telling him he can beat it. Hope and positive reaffirmations can really help. Lots of people have lived far beyond the expected time.  

Blaizekit
Captain

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300

Your_Queen_is_back

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:59 am
My grandfather had lung cancer two years ago, but now it is in remission 3nodding though I imagine doctors are still looking out for him.

and last semester, my math professor fell ill and had to leave teaching because his docs told him he shouldn't. He was in the hospital while they ran tests and found out that he had pre leukemia, so doctors sent him to a different hospital to get treatment. Its been rough on him but I try to send him a email or two once a week 3nodding . Last I heard, he was also doing well, I think he had one more treatment left and if all goes well... he can return to teaching again in a couple years biggrin

These two people of my life beat cancer or almost beat it. I know not every story has a happy ending and I want to send out a huge hug for these people heart and also to the families of survivors and the survivors themselves heart .  
Chat Forum [random chat and blah blah]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff