Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"Ain't" ain't a word, or is it? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is "aint" a correct word?
Yes. Its been around since 1778.
37%
 37%  [ 30 ]
No. Its a vulgarity. Using it shows ignorance and lack of grammar.
27%
 27%  [ 22 ]
I dont have enough information to make a good decision.
35%
 35%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 80

Ithaya

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:39 am
That...was odd.
And the spellings: Shakespearean, iambic, pentameter (iambic - heartbeat, penta - five, meter - a measure).

Not all Shakespearean texts use iambic pentameter all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:47 pm
as to the argument of "it's in the dictionary, so it's a word"

d'oh (of homer simpson fame) is in the dictionary. i rest my case.  

Sachiko13

Doombringer50

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:28 pm
Ikonik Angel
That...was odd.
And the spellings: Shakespearean, iambic, pentameter (iambic - heartbeat, penta - five, meter - a measure).

Yes, but the language considered English's flow today is iambic pantameter (Thx) and we use it ninety percent of the time. It matters naught how much he used it, it matters what is accepted today.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:10 am
Doombringer50
Ikonik Angel
That...was odd.

Yes, but the language considered English's flow today is iambic pantameter (Thx) and we use it ninety percent of the time. It matters naught how much he used it, it matters what is accepted today.

Well I suppose it's only natural we use words in rhythm with our heartbeat (iambic pentameter).
But still, slang is sometimes a bit over the top; there are enough words in the English language for people to talk without words like 'ain't', and without adding 'like' at the end of nearly every sentence...

Ithaya

Doombringer50

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:16 pm
Slang comes about because people accidentally say something, meaning another, and then it sticks. Certain people in today's world make up slang to be cool. Then others want to be as cool as them, so they use it. Then we get the bad, not helping slang. Oh, and like is used to add rhythem to the 10 percent not used in imbeamic pentameter.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:51 am
Ain't, to my mind, is a signature word in a dialect of english that makes it impossible for the speaker to not sound like an idiot.
Whether or not the word is a "real" english word, to me is a secondary concern. Whenever I hear ain't used it sounds like "ain't you jus gotta car worsh didn'tcha?" I refuse to sound or appear that stupid.  

Lord Brand

Doombringer50

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:27 pm
Yeah, ain't kind of stupid?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:52 am
I like this saying. "Ain't ain't a word 'cause Ain't, ain't in the dictionary." The response, "If ain't ain't in the dictionary, then the dictionary ain't right." I always find that funny. But I try to stay away from it and I often catch myself correcting my mother because she uses it. I'll hear her say, "I ain't got none."

Sometimes, I'll laugh, other times, I laugh, then correct her about it, jokingly of course, but still. "I ain't got none." Double negative, meaning you do have something! Funny how life works.  

Lily-Anne-Marie

nimay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:49 pm
Ain't ain't a word cuz it ain't in the dictionary. So I ain't gonna use ain't no more.........I hate that phrase.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:47 am
This is where people will differ. I use it via conversations, but I never use it in writing. I think you can get away with it in a conversation, but it shouldn't be used when you're writing.

In a conversation it is a word, but for writing, it isn't.

But then again, that's just my opinion. sweatdrop  

kimika56

jocef_XP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:50 pm
I think that the word ain't is a quite humorous word.
I laugh at the fact that others actually use the word "ain't".
Seems like something used by an ignorant kid mrgreen .

It can be used in an uncivilized conversation, or can be used to anger the teachers in school.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:16 pm
Ain't is definitlely (Hah! You taught me how to spell that, Shinobi!) an O.K. word to use, as far as I'm cocnerned. Even if it is "grammatically incorrect" I still like to use it. It's fun. Saying "ain't" is all the fun of being vulgar, without the actual vulgarity. That may seem pointless but it really makes sense to me.

Although I wouldn't suggest using the word in important situations, like reports, writing, or business conversations.

La Diavola

Rough Sketch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:39 pm
Jasmine Landers
Well, I am a literate southern girl and I see nothing wrong with the word ain't at all. I use it quite often.
I agree. I was born and raised in the South, and I've always used ain't. I will generally not use it while writing or typing because that's just the way I was taught. However, I will use it quite avidly while speaking. Why? Because sentences just don't sound right unless I do, which is the same for Y'all.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:26 pm
Well, it may be in the dictionary but it certainly is not a word at all, but a commonly used thrashing of the English language. The only reason *'normal' people these days don't mind it, is because it has frequently been used without anyone contradicting it. You can find it in the dictionary, but you cn also find "bootylicious" in it as well. I am completely serious. The word made up in a once popular song by whats-her-name is in the dictionary. Its unbelievable how the English language has over years and years become a mess of unintelligable expression of the human mind.
Ain't, as you said, is a term used as a contraction for, has not, have not, is not, are not... I say that if it stands as more than one contraction of above said words, it is not a word at all.

*normal being those people who do not concern themselves with proper English.*  

~Twilight-Your NightMare~

Doombringer50

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:27 pm
Once again then, I assume. To counter: The English language is ever living and growing. The words in use are made up from words accepted and used over time. This means if a word is not accepted, and it is not used, then it is not a part of the language. Also two examples: f*****t, now meaning homosexual, used to mean a bundle of sticks. I assume this came from a pun, and spread. Also Gay, which used to mean merry.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff