Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
input requested : ban vs remove users - new functionality? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pandora Riddlebox

Questionable Giver

6,550 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:53 am
Pilotslover
Thank you for once again surmising what a lot of us have been saying.

With new developers taking interest in what I will call 'our cause' for want of a better way of saying it, I hope that things change back to what they were before when they were fully functional.

I don't understand Gaia's obsession with the My Gaia page ... even now I don't look at it more then once per session because I just don't find it all that useful.

I'm not getting any notices at all from the threads that I've posted and have been quoted by some and been having 0 notice of people responding to threads I've made.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:00 pm
Other than inactivitie I would use it if i were selling a guild  

Tari Death Reaper D_W

6,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200

Different...Very.

Distinct Dabbler

16,000 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Team Josie 25
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:27 am
WARNING: Potentially pointless post! I'm pretty everything in this post has already been said, just in a different manner. I would just rather say it my way than read to ensure it's been said. redface

Yes, it makes sense. Inactivity isn't a reason for someone to never be allowed to re-enter the guild. I also find it tacky that the names remain on the member list, so if a banned member has the most posts, they're at the top of the list in that regard.

Members could also be removed and not banned for having been discovered as a mule when mules aren't allowed. A mule doesn't need to be banned unless the user is belligerent.

Members could be removed if the guild is being gutted for sale.

Checkbox would be marvelous.

I would also appreciate it if the Guild Member list was more like the Friends List & vice versa.

Members List
Checkbox=remove/ban
You can see the last time they logged in.
There's a link to send them a message.
You can see if they're online.

Friends List:
You can order your friends by order or last sign on or latest activity or alphabet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:01 am
Ebony...

Your elocution is most profound, thank you for helping us persons who can't explain their feelings very well (stupid autism) get our point across. It really is appreciated, even if it ends up not being effective in the long run. I agree with everything you've said so far.

I have a rather small guild since I'm not that good at advertising in the forums, but a lot of the features you mentioned for your guild (47,000 ... I'm impressed) would work for my little bitty guild of 15. And I've been wondering ever since I joined Gaia why the posting abilities in the guilds aren't the same as the forums. But I liked having visible announcements because it helped the 15 members I have to become more active. But since they changed the announcements, only four members remain active.

I even done some cleanup work to make it look nicer in the main forum, but none of the folks responded to my announcement that there was a new games & competitions sub-forum, and even the folks who are active still haven't really noticed it. It's not annoying, it's frustrating. I occasionally have bouts of gloom regarding my guild, because I can't get people to be more active.

B.O.T. (back on topic)
Because I have so few members, I'd appreciate the ability to remove inactive members from the list without banning them. I'd also appreciate the ability to change their status from "banned" to "deleted" because I did some guild gutting way back when, and ended up having to ban all my users. I'm sure that didn't make them feel all too good, getting banned. And only two of the original people even came back to the new and improved setup. I had to try and recruit more people because of it. I had 24 people the first time, now I only have 15. Anyways, I need to head off to work here shortly, so I'll be checking in again when I get back home.  

1wolffan

5,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200

Purple-eyed Dreamer

Moonlight Healer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:42 am
Hail, o' great liege of the ancient woods, ruler of the deepest forest...

Uhm.... excuse me but I'm not sure if I got the point.

When a user is banned, the only way they can get back to guild is sending a re-invitation by a crew member, right?
When a user is removed, they can send re-request to join on their own and this is the only difference? Oh, and the fact that it sounds less harmful to get removed than to get banned... If so, then sorry but I find it useless. I appreciate the fact that the GGN system is still being developed but make changes reasonable.

I've already had a situation in my guild when a banned user asked us to send him a re-invitation after some time had passed and I believe it's better to have a small chat before a user comes back intead of giving them a chance of return without even checking if they changed their attitude.

If anyone considers banning for lack of activity unfair, they can always announce massive inactive users banning planned and give some time to members to post again. If they are not interested in posting, feel free to ban, you don't hurt them this way, let's be serious. It was their decision not to post.

The Ravens are on the wings!
User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:52 am
Dreamer -

Exactly.

That's precisely how it seems to me too. With all the things the guilds Need this particular move still seems really cosmetic and unneeded.  

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

Purple-eyed Dreamer

Moonlight Healer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:07 pm
Hail, o' great liege of the ancient woods, ruler of the deepest forest...

Nice to read that you have a similar point of view.
I decided not to use it in my guild. We invented a system of permanent and temporary bans, our members are familiar with it and changing it would only cause confusion. Especially that I should inform all recently banned users that the system has changed then.

The good thing is, that something is being made with GGN and I hope huge and important changes will be introduced without problems as well.

The Ravens are on the wings!
User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:38 pm
I like it because I bought the guild and the former owner had to ban more than two pages of members, when all I have are two pages of current members. It's now easier to see my actual list of members to monitor activity.  

Different...Very.

Distinct Dabbler

16,000 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Team Josie 25
  • Bunny Spotter 50

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:27 am
I appreciate your feelings, but let me give you an instance where removing and not banning is better

A guild bans for not posting, when it was really a matter of the person not being able to get online due to school/work/internet limitations. The reason was not for violating Gaia or guild tos, etc.

If the person is able to get back on Gaia and start posting, the guild should welcome that person back.

Please remember that any request to join a guild still has to be approved by the crew, and therefore, it is not a blind acceptance.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:47 pm
...unless you choose it to be auto-accept.  

1wolffan

5,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:20 pm
we'll bump this to the top and see if the new developer can work some of the ideas the others were working  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:23 pm
I'll be curious to see how this shakes out (if it ever does) since I have a guild (under a mule) that hasn't had activity in over a year, and I'd like a nice way to say "You haven't done anything since you joined! Bye!"  

OliviaFalconer

Masterful Bibliophile

Resources & Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas