Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)
[WORKSHOP] Heathenry Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Artistic Genocide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:11 pm
I also cast my vote for "getting to know the gods".

Sanguina Cruenta
So, you're all familiar with Heathenry, aren't you? we don't need to do an introductory topic at this point?

I'll say I'm some-what familiar with it, but not overly so. An introduction might be nice, but I'm sure there's something floating around in one of the guilds I'm in that I could read to play "catch-up". 3nodding

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:25 pm
There's an intro in this subforum ^_^  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Artistic Genocide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:34 pm
Why yes! yes there is. And it's by Vi as well. How did I miss that? Oh, well. Reading it now and I'll be researching it a bit as well. I picked up a copy of "Essential Asatru" by Diana L. Paxon second-hand at a used book store. Haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but I think I remember you saying you liked the book a lot and it was a good starting point. Or, at least I think it was you. xD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:17 am
You up to speed there, Gen? wink  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Scorpy-Sue

Distinct Conversationalist

6,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:48 am
Name: Jes
Current path: Searching
Reason for joining workshop: I've felt a calling to the Norse pantheon for a long time and want to learn more about it.
Time you've been interested in Heathenry: A year or so.
Additional notes: I really look forward to any information I can glean from this workshop. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:01 pm
Welcome, Afro 3nodding

Have a read of the Asatru guide in this subforum if you need to get a bit more up to speed. Otherwise.... First topic! I think I like "Getting to Know the Gods" as a first topic so we can start there, unless there are any objections?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Scorpy-Sue

Distinct Conversationalist

6,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:38 pm
I like it. Let's get to know them. ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:21 pm
>.> I keep forgetting about this damn thing. I think "I'll leave it another day or two so other people can reply" and then I forget about it.

Okay! So! Getting to Know the Gods. There are two branches to this... one is getting to know them, the shape of them, say, who they are and what they've done, from the Eddas and Sagas and Lays in which they appear. The other is making personal connections with them. Both are important, and both feed back on one another... you can read a myth, and then meet the god, and then read the myth again and you see something you didn't see the first time.

How much reading do people think is necessary before making first contact with the gods? How much did you do (with these gods or other gods)?

I suppose it's possible to do way too much, because if you get a god really set in your mind as what they're meant to be, it may turn out that they're different from the thing you've built up in your head. You may not acknowledge them for that reason.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:01 am
I've done a lot of reading. But I've yet to try and contact any of the Gods themselves. I feel a pull, but I'm very nervous that I'm not good enough, or interesting enough for them to take any kind of interest in me sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:23 am
I hadn't done much reading myself before I contacted the gods, but then I wasn't altogether aware that that was going on at the time. The contacting, I mean. I'd read a fair few of the myths as a child, but I was reading Exploring the Northern Tradition by Krasskova (despite her having gone a bit strange, I maintain that that book is fairly decent an intro) and she begins each segment on a different god with a call or prayer. When reading the segments I felt many of the gods pop in to take a look at me. To what degree that counts as "meeting" I don't know; I certainly said my hellos and effectively bobbed a curtsey and so forth as I went, and I was formal about it, but the situation was a bit odd.

I think I'd have liked to have read a bit more before meeting them. But there we are. It wasn't something I had planned on doing.

Shearaha
I've done a lot of reading. But I've yet to try and contact any of the Gods themselves. I feel a pull, but I'm very nervous that I'm not good enough, or interesting enough for them to take any kind of interest in me

They're interested enough for you to feel that pull.

I think I've come across a lot of people who feel that way - that they're not good enough. And I'm never really sure what to say. I mean, I don't think I'm particularly better than you are, or more interesting, and they're fond enough of me... so they should be fond of you too, theoretically.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

razielarcha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:43 am
Name: Razielarcha or nsanelilmunky or Ri
Current path: Germanic Pagan with other bits and pieces thrown in
Reason for joining workshop: I joined the guild to get insight, this seems like as good a place as any
Time you've been interested in Heathenry: a couple of years
Additional notes: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that does not include outwardly bashing another's faith. I'm tired of it. If anyone else insults me or my gods/goddesses, I'm just reporting posts. There are ways to state your personal opinions without being insulting or degrading.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:22 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Shearaha
I've done a lot of reading. But I've yet to try and contact any of the Gods themselves. I feel a pull, but I'm very nervous that I'm not good enough, or interesting enough for them to take any kind of interest in me

They're interested enough for you to feel that pull.

I think I've come across a lot of people who feel that way - that they're not good enough. And I'm never really sure what to say. I mean, I don't think I'm particularly better than you are, or more interesting, and they're fond enough of me... so they should be fond of you too, theoretically.

I have self-esteem issues. I'm working on them, but it's a long road ahead, and I've hit a few set-backs already.

So would you say the calls/prayers in Krasskova's book are a good way of introducing yourself, or would a blot be more approiate?  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:59 am
razielarcha
Additional notes: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that does not include outwardly bashing another's faith. I'm tired of it. If anyone else insults me or my gods/goddesses, I'm just reporting posts. There are ways to state your personal opinions without being insulting or degrading.

Discussing various aspects of a deity, does not mean that anyone is bashing you, or your Gods. I know you have had issues with other groups in the past because of this, and for that I am truly sorry. However I would ask that you please not assume that anyone here is insulting or degrading, just because they ask a question, or debate a specific point of character. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:42 pm
too2sweet
razielarcha

Discussing various aspects of a deity, does not mean that anyone is bashing you, or your Gods. I know you have had issues with other groups in the past because of this, and for that I am truly sorry. However I would ask that you please not assume that anyone here is insulting or degrading, just because they ask a question, or debate a specific point of character. 3nodding

It concerns me that this was even mentioned, really. Surely no one joins a workshop in order to bash the gods involved.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:46 pm
Shearaha
I have self-esteem issues. I'm working on them, but it's a long road ahead, and I've hit a few set-backs already.

So would you say the calls/prayers in Krasskova's book are a good way of introducing yourself, or would a blot be more approiate?

Well, when I read those calls I wasn't actually calling as such, I was just reading them to myself, yet they turned up anyway. I understand that this isn't uncommon when reading the segments on the gods in this book as I've read as much in a review.

When making an actual, intentional overture I suppose it's up to you whether you use something pre-written or something personal. Blots are always appropriate wink but it needn't be anything overly formal. Some form of "hello, I'm here, have some ale" seems to go over well.  
*~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff