Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mangafairy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:27 am
ElectricLoki
Amethyst_Crystal
Akanishi Makoto

Is Buddhism a Religion?

To many, Buddhism goes beyond religion and is more of a philosophy or 'way of life'. It is a philosophy because philosophy 'means love of wisdom' and the Buddhist path can be summed up as:

(1) to lead a moral life,
(2) to be mindful and aware of thoughts and actions, and
(3) to develop wisdom and understanding.

I, too, am new to my research of Buddhism. My question is, if you follow the philosophy of Buddhism does that make you a Buddhist or someone who believes in the principles?

To my understanding, if you personally strive to become an Arhat (Theravada practice) or full Buddha (Mahayana practice) using the basic principles of Buddhism as the means, then you are a Buddhist. You don't have to expect Enlightenment in this life, but you should at least be striving for it over many lives and wish to make some progress in this one.

If you wish to follow Buddhist morality to simply be a better person or have a happier life (but not attain Nirvana), you'd probably be a non-Buddhist who believes in the general (but not ultimate) principles of Buddhism.

So...If I'm right then, you have to believe in reincarnation to be a Buddhist? Even if U follow the teachings? U probably consider it a stupid question...like do you have to believe in God if u re christian? lol well, i shall ask anyway smile (...im not buddhist btw lol)  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:47 am
That is a tough question...Following the various traditional formulations of Buddhist philosophy, it might prove difficult, namely because karma has little meaning outside a belief in reincarnation. It is easy enough to observe that positive actions tend to bring positive results and that negative actions tend to bring negative results within this life, but without karma it is difficult to explain how "bad things happen to good people" and "how bad people can get away doing bad things." In this first case the explanation is that negative results carry over from previous lives (I've heard that "the past 7 rebirths" is a common rule of thumb) and the second case's explanation is that much bad karma (as well as good/positive karma) takes time to "ripen" and frequently won't become expressed until a future life.

Without a belief in both karma and reincarnation, other key parts of the Buddhist world view make little sense, such as the understanding of Enlightenment as the severing of the Mind/Buddha-Nature from the sufferings of the Wheel of Life and Death (Rebirth). The whole transcendental underpinning of Buddhism would be moot since mere death would deliver all beings from the sufferings of a single life.

From a secular viewpoint, one could use Buddhist practice as a means to improve one's (largely psychological) well-being in this life if you don't buy the "religious side" of Buddhism. You would likely rely on the moral guidelines of the Eightfold Path simply for "a better life today" and use the basic meditation techniques for solely "therapeutic" purposes, which is doubtlessly practiced by some in the West (likely by those who use Hatha Yoga for personal fitness and not spirituality as initially intended). However, if one honestly accepted the whole of the analytical logic of Buddhist philosophy while rejecting the spiritual aspects, you'd have to hold the "nihilistic" view that one's personality (as an ephemeral aggregate phenomenon) will disappear completely at death without remainder...

However, since such a secularist would not be practicing with the goals of the historical Buddha in mind (whether or not that's interpreted as a personal mission to gain Buddhahood), it would probably be inaccurate to call such an individual "a Buddhist." A more accurate term would be "Buddhist sympathizer."  

ElectricLoki

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:22 pm
Thanks biggrin This helped a lot!  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:37 pm
this helped me very much.  

Merlizo

connielass

2,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:26 pm
Tis muffin
Akanishi Makoto
Mechia
thats should be the first topic or a sticky (p.s. you misspelled gautama, sorry I'm picky.)
A monk, passing a statue of Bodhidharma, looked at it and said, "Why has that man no beard?"
because it is a statue and it cannot grow one? Also thanks of the information it was very helpful

"A rose by any other name smells just as sweet."
In other words, what Akanishi meant by the quote was: How you spell a person's name (or how a person appears on the outside) has no bearing. It's a trivial matter in comparison to the pursuit of happiness and enlightenment.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:03 am
Ultimately I am perpetually exausted, therefore I wonder if achieving my spiritual awakening will allow me to have a presumed abundance of energy. I'd like to experience the concept of being well-rested...  

Calliope22

3,500 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200

0mn0mn0m1234

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:42 pm
How touching. I am glad that somebody has finally brought the mysteries of Buddhism out of the dark.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:02 pm
THis place is helpful I wouldn't think it be gaiaonline of all places I would finally take action to thought of converting to buddhism. From what I read so far and looking at what I beleive naturally I feel like I have been a Buddhist unknown to thier self to be one.  

Cora Merle Seraph

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Windy Child

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:14 pm
This was perfect for me! I know have a better understanding of Buddhism, it was so helpful and answered many of my questions . biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:05 pm
This was a great read. Thank you for posting it (and thank you for having this guild set on Public!).  

In Search of a Dream

SkaPigeon89

5,450 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:32 am
Akanishi Makoto
Mechia
thats should be the first topic or a sticky (p.s. you misspelled gautama, sorry I'm picky.)
A monk, passing a statue of Bodhidharma, looked at it and said, "Why has that man no beard?"

Most definitely cracked me up. lol  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:32 pm
A very pleasant read - I enjoyed being refreshed on what I knew and learning more in the process. I may just start directing others who ask me about Buddhism to this thread since, as is often the case, there is always somebody who can express and summarize my thoughts better than I can, and who knows more than I do about a given subject.  

thatsnozaku

Blessed Gaian

8,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

indigo_fairy13

6,350 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:16 pm
some one told me treu wisdom means that you don't have all the answers and knowing that you are not perfect  
Loving Kindness: A Buddhism Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff