Submit

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:22 am
Fresnel
Okay, time for my own dose of blasphemy, but with more of an AR spin. I kind of want to try this someday, even though it's a ridiculously expensive build.

For the lower receiver, an ARES Herring:
User Image

For the upper receiver, an American Spirit Arms side-charging 24" varmint upper.

User Image

And a close-up of that receiver, thumbnailed:
User Image

And, to double the heresy, plug the gas tube at the block. This makes a left-hand-charging, straight-pull bolt-action AR with a Monte Carlo stock. Slap on a good bipod and scope, and this thing would be an outrageously accurate rifle, even at extreme distances.

And if I'm feeling really heretical, I'll put wood furniture on it. I hear the Herring takes an 870 stock, so it shouldn't be hard. At the very least I'll get a synthetic with a higher comb, because seriously, that stock is WAY too low.

I need to look into those. Looks like a good competetor to the Kel Tec SU-16 CA that I want to get.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:01 pm
Lt Buckner
Fresnel
Okay, time for my own dose of blasphemy, but with more of an AR spin. I kind of want to try this someday, even though it's a ridiculously expensive build.

User Image

For the upper receiver, an American Spirit Arms side-charging 24" varmint upper.

User Image

And a close-up of that receiver, thumbnailed:
User Image

And, to double the heresy, plug the gas tube at the block. This makes a left-hand-charging, straight-pull bolt-action AR with a Monte Carlo stock. Slap on a good bipod and scope, and this thing would be an outrageously accurate rifle, even at extreme distances.

And if I'm feeling really heretical, I'll put wood furniture on it. I hear the Herring takes an 870 stock, so it shouldn't be hard. At the very least I'll get a synthetic with a higher comb, because seriously, that stock is WAY too low.

I need to look into those. Looks like a good competetor to the Kel Tec SU-16 CA that I want to get.
The Herring is $1000 and sold by Ares, who has a history of poor customer support, vaporware, and disappointment (see: Ares Shrike). I just think it'd make an awesome rifle  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:18 pm
Fresnel

User Image

where the hell is the buffer tube?

I would imagine with the way it is it would require a radically different BCG (much shorter)
which I do not believe would be compatible with standard AR 15 uppers

even the left side upper as I understand it also requires a different BCG that is not compatible with standard AR uppers either.

to simplify things so you can come as close as possible to the setup you want, then a standard lower may be the only way to go.

as that odd lower would most likely require a different carrier which will limit your options on uppers  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:25 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

User Image

where the hell is the buffer tube?
It uses a carrier similar to the Benelli system... I saw a picture of it somewhere...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

That's how the Benelli works. That tail goes into a hole in the stock and pivots with the recoil, allowing a bent buffer tube. The Herring's works the same way, but takes any AR bolt, allowing it to still be multi-caliber.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:35 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
even the left side upper as I understand it also requires a different BCG that is not compatible with standard AR uppers either.
See, I suspected that too, but while ASA will sell you a full side-charging upper half or just a side-charging receiver, they don't sell either a side-charging BCG or a kit to convert your BCG for side-charging, so I'm forced to assume either they're gigantic assholes, or the side-charger works with a standard BCG, and given what I've heard of their customer service, the former is right out.

Quote:
to simplify things so you can come as close as possible to the setup you want, then a standard lower may be the only way to go.
I really do like the monte carlo style stock. Maybe if someone comes up with a P90-style thumbhole buttstock I'll consider that, but until that happens, I like the Herring.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:57 pm
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
See, I suspected that too, but while ASA will sell you a full side-charging upper half or just a side-charging receiver, they don't sell either a side-charging BCG or a kit to convert your BCG for side-charging, so I'm forced to assume either they're gigantic assholes, or the side-charger works with a standard BCG, and given what I've heard of their customer service, the former is right out.

Quote:
I really do like the monte carlo style stock. Maybe if someone comes up with a P90-style thumbhole buttstock I'll consider that, but until that happens, I like the Herring.
gotcha covered

User Image  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:00 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

Quote:
gotcha covered

User Image
I'm trying to reduce weapon height and profile, so I want something much shorter than that. That's why I mentioned the P90... it's much more swept-back.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:34 pm
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

Quote:
gotcha covered

User Image
I'm trying to reduce weapon height and profile, so I want something much shorter than that. That's why I mentioned the P90... it's much more swept-back.

dude, I can tell you right now with the monte carlo stock that in prone youre still going to have to elevate the rifle to about the same height (or higher even) than a standard AR would have to be in in order to fire at something.

it's lowest point actually appears to be as low as, if not lower than the pistol grip on a standard AR

and because the lowest point is at the very rear of the stock and not further forward like a pistol grip, it's going to put more strain on you unless you're using a bipod. I dont think it would help with creating a lower profile after all.
think about it.

I dont see how this is advantageous  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:38 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

Quote:
gotcha covered

User Image

dude, I can tell you right now with the monte carlo stock that in prone youre still going to have to elevate the rifle to about the same height (or higher even) than a standard AR would have to be in in order to fire at something.

it's lowest point actually appears to be as low as, if not lower than the pistol grip on a standard AR

and because the lowest point is at the very rear of the stock and not further forward like a pistol grip, it's going to put more strain on you unless you're using a bipod. I dont think it would help with creating a lower profile after all.
think about it.

First off, I do fully intend on installing a bipod.

Second, I guess the real reason I want to do this is to have a left-side, straight-pull bolt handle on a bolt-action gun, without the left-side loading or ejection. This is just the only way to do that without building a gun from scratch or breaking the .50 cal mark.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:46 pm
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

gotcha covered

User Image

think about it.

Second, I guess the real reason I want to do this is to have a left-side, straight-pull bolt handle on a bolt-action gun, without the left-side loading or ejection. This is just the only way to do that without building a gun from scratch or breaking the .50 cal mark.
I dont see how a stock has anything to do with building a bolt AR. you can build any AR and never need a stock for it to work.

you can do it much more easily with a standard lower and compatible lefty charging upper.

introduce an odd stock that requires use of a specially designed key part such as the BCG and its only going to complicate things and make it harder and more expensive for you IMHO

theres nothing that I know of that is compatible with that kind of carrier, unless you had it customized to use that part.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:29 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

gotcha covered

think about it.

I dont see how a stock has anything to do with building a bolt AR. you can build any AR and never need a stock for it to work.

you can do it much more easily with a standard lower and compatible lefty charging upper.

introduce an odd stock that requires use of a specially designed key part such as the BCG and its only going to complicate things and make it harder and more expensive for you IMHO

theres nothing that I know of that is compatible with that kind of carrier, unless you had it customized to use that part.
The flaw in your thinking is that the point of this is to build an AR. That's not the point at all, it's just the only way I know of to get the job done without building and designing a rifle from scratch.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff