Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Chatterbox/Humor
Do you jerk your meat? If so, how and how often? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:30 am
Well, I've got to admit that I've never jerked my own meat. In fact, to be honest, I've never even enjoyed other people jerking meat for me. My meat is unjerked. Wherever your opinion of me is, it can start declining now.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:15 am
Fresnel
I dunno... the fact that I've never heard of it before makes me wary.
I would agree, besides chicken must be cooked to 165 to be eaten safely and I would say that cooking it at 170 is too close for my comfort.

Ohh chicken jerky recipe: (not sure about their recommended temp for baking though.... http://www.ehow.com/how_2291432_make-chicken-jerky.html  

090Freak090

AINGELPROJECT667

Shy Lunatic

5,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Trader 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:31 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
AINGELPROJECT667
Ha, the fun part about being in Georgia is that we don't have to go buy beef for our jerky; we just wander into the woods, shoot us a deer,(during deer season, of course) bring it back, cut the meat off, and make our own jerky. And let me tell you, deer jerky is the best, in my opinion.

As for how its prepared, we always marinate the jerky before setting it out onto the dehydrator, and checking on it every now and then until its dried to our liking. I like mine tough, yet still chewy enough to eat.
Yeah same here and just about any other state really. Yesterday I was on some back roads and I saw a sign that said they were selling elk for $300. I didn't stop in to see how much meat that would be but I assume it's a lot of meat.

You don't see signs like that in Georgia, though, due to the fact that selling deer meat is illegal here. Apparently, deer meat is in so high demand down here the officials have to forbid the selling of it to prevent poaching.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:39 pm
I guess Deer and Elk are in reasonable demand here in Oregon.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:36 pm
I found a recipe for chicken so I'm gonna try it.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:35 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
I found a recipe for chicken so I'm gonna try it.
i want beginning to end pics plz  

090Freak090

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:57 pm
Alright, Freak, I'll let you watch me jerk my chicken, but just this once.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:39 am
Das Rabble Rouser
rofl rofl rofl rofl  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:21 am
AINGELPROJECT667
Das Rabble Rouser
AINGELPROJECT667
Ha, the fun part about being in Georgia is that we don't have to go buy beef for our jerky; we just wander into the woods, shoot us a deer,(during deer season, of course) bring it back, cut the meat off, and make our own jerky. And let me tell you, deer jerky is the best, in my opinion.

As for how its prepared, we always marinate the jerky before setting it out onto the dehydrator, and checking on it every now and then until its dried to our liking. I like mine tough, yet still chewy enough to eat.
Yeah same here and just about any other state really. Yesterday I was on some back roads and I saw a sign that said they were selling elk for $300. I didn't stop in to see how much meat that would be but I assume it's a lot of meat.

You don't see signs like that in Georgia, though, due to the fact that selling deer meat is illegal here. Apparently, deer meat is in so high demand down here the officials have to forbid the selling of it to prevent poaching.
Because if you ban death, maybe murders will stop happening.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:53 am
Fresnel
Because if you ban death, maybe murders will stop happening.
It sure cuts the number of murders down. Think how low the population would be if murder was legal.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

090Freak090

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:16 am
Das Rabble Rouser

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:35 am
I've always thought about dabbling into jerking my meat. But there is a family owned butchershop literally four miles down the road and i graduated with one of the family so i usually just get my jerky there. It kicks the a** out of anything i have ever bought anywhere. They cut it in to nice thin strips and its dry jerky so when you eat it you really got to yank and rip it when you take a bite. But it just moistens up so good when your knawing on it. Crap, this is gonna go make me buy some -.-  

war_junky 91

Kuuhaku-shou

Benevolent Prophet

8,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Accounting Whiz 500
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:32 am
In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare,
terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo,
da Vinci and the Renaissance.

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on Gaia!

But I prefer to go to a friend's house and there we jerk both of our meats at the same time. I don't like how slippery and wet it can get though, it makes it hard to hold onto, then it falls and slaps onto the floor and it's just a mess.
In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, 500 years of democracy
and peace and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:17 pm
I forgot to get pics. Sorry, Freak. Anyway I just jerked my chicken. After roughly 4 hours in the oven it was dry. I didn't trust it because it didn't get hot enough to cook. It came out clear too. I decided to microwave the batch for a minute to make sure. It turned yellow. Now it's back on the wire racks to cool.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:06 pm
It's a little heavy on the garlic and the salt.  
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff