Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
How do you pronounce? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you yahoo?
  Yes.
  No.
  What the...?!!??
  Pollness
View Results

Jagdpanzer!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:08 am
I suppose it depends on one's regional dialect and accent.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:11 pm
I say 'ant-I' and 'ant-E'. (I much prefer 'ant-I'.) ;P My tongue is very confused. I tend to say 'thee', but a 'thah' can come out. For a while I even said "gill-o-teen". -_-;; I say alot of things really incorrectly. The whole stress-of-the-syllables is hard for me. Which is why I like Spanish; it's easy for me to emphasize the right part. It's always the second to last vowel, unless otherwise marked. ^-^ I have almost a hint of a Boston accent. Not often, but sometimes I'll omit (sp?) an 'r'. Thank goodness you can't hear me.  

La Diavola

KiraLight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:40 am
my english teacher always tries to get us to say it she-dule
but he's the only one in the school who does
everyone else says it ske-dule

and uh..the original one..I said ant-i not ant-e  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:53 pm
I use ant-i, as well as both thee and thuh.

For some reason, though, I always mispronounce "strategy" as "stragety." Hm. Strategic tragedy?  

Maculata

Kohy

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:32 pm
I seriously thought that 'thEE' was used when before a vowel, and 'thUH' was used before a word begining with a consonant.

Such as;

ThEE author was praised highly for his latest novel that was based on thUH second world war.  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:40 pm
Kohy
I seriously thought that 'thEE' was used when before a vowel, and 'thUH' was used before a word begining with a consonant.

Such as;

ThEE author was praised highly for his latest novel that was based on thUH second world war.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. But in speech, I just kind of know where to say each one. I don't really think about it.  

Ithaya

Kohy

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:02 am
Ikonik Angel
Kohy

Such as;

Yeah, that's what I thought too. But in speech, I just kind of know where to say each one. I don't really think about it.

True. One word that has gotten to me though was 'nEEther' or 'nIether'. Is one of them the correct pronunciation? I normally pronounce it 'nEEther'.  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:35 pm
I tend to say ant-i. Not sure why that is, but I think it's because I watched a lot of British tv as a kid. I picked up some of the pronunciatons. I don't say shedule, though, biggrin  

Aramethea

beliael

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:51 pm
I say "ant-i" and "th-e" most of the time but it varies slightly depending on what word goes after.

As for schedule pronounced as "shedule", my friend told me this nifty reminder: schedule should be pronounced with the "sc" because you don't pronounce "school" as "shool".  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:49 pm
Aramethea
I tend to say ant-i. Not sure why that is, but I think it's because I watched a lot of British tv as a kid. I picked up some of the pronunciatons. I don't say shedule, though, biggrin

I thought the British pronounciation is ant-e?

beliael
I say "ant-i" and "th-e" most of the time but it varies slightly depending on what word goes after.

As for schedule pronounced as "shedule", my friend told me this nifty reminder: schedule should be pronounced with the "sc" because you don't pronounce "school" as "shool".

That's what I said when my friends were discussing whether it should be sked-ule or shed-ule. I think this idea sounds kind of funny.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Lou101

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:18 pm
Kohy
Ikonik Angel
Kohy

Such as;

True. One word that has gotten to me though was 'nEEther' or 'nIether'. Is one of them the correct pronunciation? I normally pronounce it 'nEEther'.

I say nIther. I say ant-e as well. Could it be that ant-I is the correct American way of saying it? Because I think I've heard George Bush say it that way.  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:24 pm
Lou101
Kohy
Ikonik Angel
Kohy

Such as;

I say nIther. I say ant-e as well. Could it be that ant-I is the correct American way of saying it? Because I think I've heard George Bush say it that way.

I use both Ant-E and NEEther....But I think there has been a few times I've said NIether. Although, I've never used 'Ant-I', and if I have, I never noticed.  

Kohy

Transiberian Orchestra

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:45 pm
I find people saying Japanese words differently from me.
Like I say 'Mahn-gah,' and they say 'Mayn-gah.'

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:10 am
I always think of saying 'ant-I' as an American thing, I think that alot of these things are just due to where you come from.  

Emmanuela

Ithaya

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:43 am
Kohy
Ikonik Angel
Kohy

Such as;

I use 'nEEther'. But I have used neIther, as in: ' nIether this nor that'. Notice also how I used 'nor' as opposed to 'or'. I think that's when you're supposed to use neIther. Or 'neIther one'.
Again, it's a thing which comes naturally in speech.

As for ant-I and ant-E, I mainly use ant-E, but again, I have used ant-I. An example would be ant-I-Sematism (only one I can think of >_<).

I'm English, so the correct American pronunciation doesn't concern me (as far as I'm concerned, we should all have recieved pronunciation, but even I don't have that, so I can't complain), but I wouldn't trust George Bush with language matters...

Speaking of recieved pronunciation, does anyone here lengthen their 'a's in words like grass and bath?
I'm trying to do that, but changing your accent's hard.

And on the subject of manga, it should, technically be 'mahn-gah', or if it was 'mayn-gah', it should be spelt 'meinga', because of the way the Japanese alphabet is. But you can't always trust Romaji.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff