Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Holy grail of AK,SKS,MOSIN accessories/ russian BDUs Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:25 pm
SpeedmanRC
well, Tula 308 is about 7 dollars a 20round box, and brown bear 54R is about 8 dollars a 20round box. There is no 440 round tins of 308 full in a warehouse some where...that will make that cheap to shot paper.

I have yet to see 54R go on sale local other then the 440 tins at Dunhams...and that I got for 99 and some cents.

those prices are online, but then there is a decent shipping price. and if I can I like to buy local, from a gun store or outdoor outfitter place. cause ammo goes on sale local a lot.
ive been ordering online for a while now.

shipping really isnt that bad and added together im still saving  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:24 am
SpeedmanRC
two things I'll add is that the PSL when great is only able to handle light ball ammo. HB is known to ware on the reciver. That's why I'll end up getting a Saiga in 308 come tax, and even it the mags are pricey. If I wanted/needed to I can get them in 5 round to make it legal to hunt with. It's a state law here in WI...for white tail.

and you can get detachable mags for a SKS, just they are a little goofy to work but once you work it a few times it's all good.

my sks with a 20 round tapco.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Stamped reciever is your problem. Just buy a SVD milled reciever.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

SpeedmanRC

Conservative Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:47 pm
Smokestack Lightning
SpeedmanRC
two things I'll add is that the PSL when great is only able to handle light ball ammo. HB is known to ware on the reciver. That's why I'll end up getting a Saiga in 308 come tax, and even it the mags are pricey. If I wanted/needed to I can get them in 5 round to make it legal to hunt with. It's a state law here in WI...for white tail.

and you can get detachable mags for a SKS, just they are a little goofy to work but once you work it a few times it's all good.

yeah, would like to see that work. being the SVD is short gas, and the PSL is long gas. and even the the internal bolt parts don't even work the same.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:43 pm
SpeedmanRC
Smokestack Lightning
SpeedmanRC

yeah, would like to see that work. being the SVD is short gas, and the PSL is long gas. and even the the internal bolt parts don't even work the same.
yep

the PSL is based off of the kalashnikov style system. also very RPK like.

while the SVD is closer to a simonov / tokarev style design.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:32 am
SpeedmanRC
Smokestack Lightning
SpeedmanRC

Interesting...I didn't know the PSL was a completely different layout and that the TIGR and original SVD have milled recievers and non interchangeable magazines with PSL.

The TIGR apparently comes with a better stock.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:50 pm
Smokestack Lightning
SpeedmanRC
Smokestack Lightning
SpeedmanRC

Interesting...I didn't know the PSL was a completely different layout and that the TIGR and original SVD have milled recievers and non interchangeable magazines with PSL.

The SVD is a purpose-built Soviet sniper rifle. The PSL is a Romanian AKM with a longer barrel.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:42 pm
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
SpeedmanRC
Smokestack Lightning
SpeedmanRC

The SVD is a purpose-built Soviet sniper rifle. The PSL is a Romanian AKM with a longer barrel.
AKM isnt a x54 weapon though

the PSL is a purpose built sniper as well, just built different...

an AKM with a longer barrel = RPK  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:50 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
SpeedmanRC
Smokestack Lightning

You know what I meant.

Quote:

That's an LMG, though. The PSL is just slightly accurized to be a DMR, but really the action is AK through and through. The SVD was re-thought a bit.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:17 pm
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
SpeedmanRC

You know what I meant.

Quote:

That's an LMG, though. The PSL is just slightly accurized to be a DMR, but really the action is AK through and through. The SVD was re-thought a bit.
yep

the RPK is pretty accurate for what it is believe it or not. has a heavy barrel and longer sight radius  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:39 am
SpeedmanRC

my sks with a 20 round tapco.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
about that tapco 20 round mag.

it gave me trouble when trying to load my old SKS with stripper clips.
I found it much easier to just load them by hand.

same for you?  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

SpeedmanRC

Conservative Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:37 pm
@Ninja, yeah I only load a box in the mag by hand. doing it with a clip only works for like 5-8 out of the ten and it's just bogs up.

well I don't know what gut I want with some of my tax money this year... It's going to be a Saiga but...I rather save a bit and get one in 223 so I can convert it, get a few extra mags, ammo, scope and stuff. I would like a 12 too but I don't have much use for a shotgun at this time.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:17 pm
SpeedmanRC
@Ninja, yeah I only load a box in the mag by hand. doing it with a clip only works for like 5-8 out of the ten and it's just bogs up.

well I don't know what gut I want with some of my tax money this year... It's going to be a Saiga but...I rather save a bit and get one in 223 so I can convert it, get a few extra mags, ammo, scope and stuff. I would like a 12 too but I don't have much use for a shotgun at this time.
word of advice.

check out the saiga 5.45
much cheaper to shoot, as well as easier to convert to ak platform than the other saiga calibers

it can already take ak74 mags without conversion work to the magwell area and has other new goodies that weren't included on previous saiga rifles that also make the conversion process much easier

5.45 ammo is cheap and in bulk and performs similarly to 223, take advantage of it ninja  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:03 am
Recon_Ninja_985
SpeedmanRC

word of advice.

check out the saiga 5.45
much cheaper to shoot, as well as easier to convert to ak platform than the other saiga calibers

it can already take ak74 mags without conversion work to the magwell area and has other new goodies that weren't included on previous saiga rifles that also make the conversion process much easier

5.45 ammo is cheap and in bulk and performs similarly to 223, take advantage of it ninja
You know what kills me about the Saiga? I dunno if the rifles do this, but the -12 does. The action doesn't lock open on empty. I think it's just an AK, but it bugs the s**t out of me. Factory-new Saigas tend to jam a lot for the first couple hundred rounds, and jams (or at least the stovepipe I got) are ******** tough to clear when the bolt can't lock open. Maybe rimmed shotgun ammo makes that worse, but I could NOT clear that jam. Had to give it back to the owner, who'd been dealing with stovepipes all day.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:20 pm
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
SpeedmanRC

word of advice.

check out the saiga 5.45

You know what kills me about the Saiga? I dunno if the rifles do this, but the -12 does. The action doesn't lock open on empty. I think it's just an AK, but it bugs the s**t out of me. Factory-new Saigas tend to jam a lot for the first couple hundred rounds, and jams (or at least the stovepipe I got) are ******** tough to clear when the bolt can't lock open. Maybe rimmed shotgun ammo makes that worse, but I could NOT clear that jam. Had to give it back to the owner, who'd been dealing with stovepipes all day.
I think your'e just worried about the saiga 12.

Saiga 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 are essentially the only legal russian made AK types that can be imported, so if you were to convert one you would pretty much have yourself a russian made AK.

theres little difference between an AK 100 series and a converted saiga.

saiga shotguns are kind of a thing that izmash is pioneering, THOSE have a break in period because of what it is.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:16 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
SpeedmanRC

word of advice.

check out the saiga 5.45

I think your'e just worried about the saiga 12.

Saiga 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 are essentially the only legal russian made AK types that can be imported, so if you were to convert one you would pretty much have yourself a russian made AK.

theres little difference between an AK 100 series and a converted saiga.

saiga shotguns are kind of a thing that izmash is pioneering, THOSE have a break in period because of what it is.
The break-in period is another issue entirely, I'm just talking about the lack of a bolt hold-open. When it jams, because every gun jams eventually, it's too damn hard to clear.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff