Submit

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:42 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
dont need an assistant gunner with this 1919 variant. this can be carried and operated by a single man

User Image
USMC used quite a few of these in the pacific. fires between 1200 and 1400 rpm
corporal tony stein won the medal of honor using this machine gun.

it weighs about 21 pounds while regular 1919 types weigh around 33 or so pounds

this thing raped the s**t out of the japanese on iwo jima
Someone still had to carry all that ammo though.
isnt that how it's always been? confused
Yeah, but now that poor son of a b***h has a rifle, too. Also, the LMGs weigh more. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:54 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
dont need an assistant gunner with this 1919 variant. this can be carried and operated by a single man

User Image

Yeah, but now that poor son of a b***h has a rifle, too. Also, the LMGs weigh more. xd
idk.

all I know is that the m240 is heavier than the stinger .30 ANM2 LMG that is pictured  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:55 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

User Image

idk.

all I know is that the m240 is heavier than the stinger .30 ANM2 LMG that is pictured
Yea, I never got that. They adopted the M60 as a lighter replacement for the M1919, then they replaced that with the M240, which is almost as heavy as the damn M1919.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:49 pm
Requiem in Mortis
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

User Image

idk.

Yea, I never got that. They adopted the M60 as a lighter replacement for the M1919, then they replaced that with the M240, which is almost as heavy as the damn M1919.
I guess there werent enough re purposed ANM2 type 1919 MG's to go around. I think some of them from WWII made it into the korean war in supplement to the heavier 1919A6 LMG's

the ANM2 was never meant to be an LMG, but because it was lighter for aircraft use, it only made sense that it would be easier to carry for infantry use. so basically you had a bunch of these guys taking them off of downed bombers and fitting them with garand stocks and a metal box and a bipod for a BAR. pretty much made a damn effective LMG that could exceed the bad assery and fear factor of the MG42's rate of fire.

and what's even more crazy is that the 1919A6 and Browning BAR were both STILL being used in vietnam in supplement to M60 machineguns.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:11 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Requiem in Mortis
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
idk.

I guess there werent enough re purposed ANM2 type 1919 MG's to go around. I think some of them from WWII made it into the korean war in supplement to the heavier 1919A6 LMG's

the ANM2 was never meant to be an LMG, but because it was lighter for aircraft use, it only made sense that it would be easier to carry for infantry use. so basically you had a bunch of these guys taking them off of downed bombers and fitting them with garand stocks and a metal box and a bipod for a BAR. pretty much made a damn effective LMG that could exceed the bad assery and fear factor of the MG42's rate of fire.

and what's even more crazy is that the 1919A6 and Browning BAR were both STILL being used in vietnam in supplement to M60 machineguns.
I've gotta say, the BAR was Browning's biggest failure. The thing was effective enough if you hit a guy, and it didn't jam much, but the magazine needed to be three to four times bigger than it was at a minimum, and it should have had a pistol grip stock. The M14A1 only resolved one of those issues, while becoming ugly as sin in the process.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:59 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Requiem in Mortis
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
idk.

Doesn't surprise me too much. The M9 bazooka and M1 Garand/Carbine were all still being used in Vietnam until they were phased out. I wouldn't have been surprised if some guys were still going into spider tunnels with Thompsons.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:51 pm
Requiem in Mortis
Recon_Ninja_985
Requiem in Mortis
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
idk.

Doesn't surprise me too much. The M9 bazooka and M1 Garand/Carbine were all still being used in Vietnam until they were phased out. I wouldn't have been surprised if some guys were still going into spider tunnels with Thompsons.
yep

User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:00 pm
Well, the switch from M60 to M240B was more like the M60 was replaced in the LMG role by the SAW, which is a lot lighter, and then in the platoon-level role by the M240.  

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

Kuuhaku-shou

Benevolent Prophet

8,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Accounting Whiz 500
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:29 pm
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
-Moon Fire Liako-
Fresnel
I foresee failure. I don't know why, but I feel it in my bones. This system just isn't ready to replace the assault rifle.
It Aint Cheap Ether confused
That too... and airburst is too difficult to use. You have to be able to rangefind on empty air. It's fine if you've got someone with perfect distance judgement, but that's a very rare trait to find in a person.
Except for Scout Sniper spotters but they and their sniper buddies aren't going to be using the damned thing correct?
I don't know if they can do it. I suspect most scout snipers just use laser rangefinders, and only guess if the thing's broken. But the point of airburst is to have the round hit NOTHING and explode at the correct distance, and you can't laser rangefind off nothing.

"Aux grands maux les grands remèdes."

You can radio-rangefind off of nothing.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:38 pm
Sine Auctore
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
-Moon Fire Liako-
Fresnel
I foresee failure. I don't know why, but I feel it in my bones. This system just isn't ready to replace the assault rifle.
It Aint Cheap Ether confused
That too... and airburst is too difficult to use. You have to be able to rangefind on empty air. It's fine if you've got someone with perfect distance judgement, but that's a very rare trait to find in a person.
Except for Scout Sniper spotters but they and their sniper buddies aren't going to be using the damned thing correct?
I don't know if they can do it. I suspect most scout snipers just use laser rangefinders, and only guess if the thing's broken. But the point of airburst is to have the round hit NOTHING and explode at the correct distance, and you can't laser rangefind off nothing.

"Aux grands maux les grands remèdes."

You can radio-rangefind off of nothing.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures."
I call bullshit. Computers aren't telepathic. They don't know what you're looking for, only you do. Unless you're talking about rangefinding using the signal from OPFOR's radio, but that only works if they, you know, have a radio. Which most Taliban don't, I'd guess.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out