Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter
Recon_Ninja_985
Valkyrie Hatter
Recon_Ninja_985
User Image

User Image

we need the morita infantry rifle and it's carbine version.

except utilizing AR mags.

I can dream....
That magazine just looks like a standard AR mag with some strange adapter housing it to make it fit into the rifle.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Speaking of Eugene Stoner...

I on the other hand am a fan of Eugene Stoner's original AR-10 design that had a versatile role as both a battle rifle and general purpose machine gun just with a simple quick and easy feed adapter to make it take belted 7.62 ammo. Beats the s**t out of an M60 anyday especially since you've got a forward assist to deal with the rifle bolt not fully closing when it's pasted over with s**t.

Not to mention it's lighter and more squad portable than an M60 or FN MAG and if a major jam were to occur during a combat situation you could pick it up and move to cover behind the foward position very quickly to fix it or remove the belt fed adapter and use it in someone else's rifle to quickly get back to laying a sustained fire down.

Unfortunately the Sudanese and some other country were the only ones that tooks the man's design seriously and worked out the kinks.
nah, the morita rifles in the SST movie utilized ruger mini14/ AC556 magazines because those were the rifles they used to build them. they just surrounded the rifles in a molded fiberglass futuristic looking furniture kit and did the same for the mags

and I disagree with a beltfed AR10 being better than an M60. the AR10 wasnt built to be a machinegun and lacks some important qualities so make it as successful as MG's like the M60 and FN MAG.

1. being that it probably still fires from a closed bolt, generating a lot of heat.

2. AR types in general have to be lubed extremely well or they will jam up, you cant run these weapons dry, especially if youre going to be shooting a lot, which is the purpose of a beltfed.

3. that damned gas tube is going to be cherry red and is going to break from all that abuse

4. the combination of .308, direct impingement, and lots of bullets means that thing is going to get filthy quick...very filthy.

regarding the forward assist....theyre both totally different weapons. an M60 is open bolt, why would you even want to manually push it forward? the trigger does that.

it's bolt only closes when it is in the middle of firing or is empty. and it SLAMS forward.
Huh...Why do I keep forgetting about Ruger's failed attempt at an assault rifle?

The M60 was possibly a gunners worst enemy it jammed at the worst of times when it was needed which is why the US military after so many years of putting up with it's s**t is phasing it out and going to the even older and more reliable FN MAG which I hardly see why since FN Herstal makes a Minimi in 7.62mm which is lighter than the older MAG.

On the design of the AR-10 closed bolt, jamming and heat issues...

Oddly enough a lot of civilian AR manufacturers put their ARs though use like a machinegun and report very little problems.

I think a modern Sudanese AR-10 has had similar if not better improvements to combat it's original problems. Insulated barrel, impingement tube and tougher more heat resistant receiver and moving parts probably already done since I'm fairly sure the Sudanese still use the ol AR-10.

Hey if you wanna improve the design do what H&K did. Replace the DI system with short stroke.

Going on other ideas...

Desert Eagle in 7.62 Tokarev.
Because the SAW is a cantankerous ********. The Mk 46 is only used where light weight is more important than perfect reliability. Like by ******** Rangers, Airborne, and other SOF.

Don't give HK credit for short-stroke. That was all Eugene Stoner's idea.
I'm giving H&K credit for going "Hey you know what? We can put a short stroke in an AR"

The design of short stroke I give credit to David Marshall Williams since it is in fact his patent.

Speaking of which you speak of absolute reliability when we use M4s and M16s that rely on a primitive gas system that shortens their overall lifespan compared to weapons that use short or long stroke gas systems.
nah, eugene stoner's idea. he did this decades earlier. check out the AR18  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:50 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter
Recon_Ninja_985
nah, the morita rifles in the SST movie utilized ruger mini14/ AC556 magazines because those were the rifles they used to build them. they just surrounded the rifles in a molded fiberglass futuristic looking furniture kit and did the same for the mags

and I disagree with a beltfed AR10 being better than an M60. the AR10 wasnt built to be a machinegun and lacks some important qualities so make it as successful as MG's like the M60 and FN MAG.

1. being that it probably still fires from a closed bolt, generating a lot of heat.

2. AR types in general have to be lubed extremely well or they will jam up, you cant run these weapons dry, especially if youre going to be shooting a lot, which is the purpose of a beltfed.

3. that damned gas tube is going to be cherry red and is going to break from all that abuse

4. the combination of .308, direct impingement, and lots of bullets means that thing is going to get filthy quick...very filthy.

regarding the forward assist....theyre both totally different weapons. an M60 is open bolt, why would you even want to manually push it forward? the trigger does that.

it's bolt only closes when it is in the middle of firing or is empty. and it SLAMS forward.
Huh...Why do I keep forgetting about Ruger's failed attempt at an assault rifle?

The M60 was possibly a gunners worst enemy it jammed at the worst of times when it was needed which is why the US military after so many years of putting up with it's s**t is phasing it out and going to the even older and more reliable FN MAG which I hardly see why since FN Herstal makes a Minimi in 7.62mm which is lighter than the older MAG.

Oddly enough a lot of civilian AR manufacturers put their ARs though use like a machinegun and report very little problems.

I think a modern Sudanese AR-10 has had similar if not better improvements to combat it's original problems. Insulated barrel, impingement tube and tougher more heat resistant receiver and moving parts probably already done since I'm fairly sure the Sudanese still use the ol AR-10.

Hey if you wanna improve the design do what H&K did. Replace the DI system with short stroke.

Going on other ideas...

Because the SAW is a cantankerous ********. The Mk 46 is only used where light weight is more important than perfect reliability. Like by ******** Rangers, Airborne, and other SOF.

I'm giving H&K credit for going "Hey you know what? We can put a short stroke in an AR"

The design of short stroke I give credit to David Marshall Williams since it is in fact his patent.

Speaking of which you speak of absolute reliability when we use M4s and M16s that rely on a primitive gas system that shortens their overall lifespan compared to weapons that use short or long stroke gas systems.
AR-18's a whole different critter, and for the record, isn't a Stoner. Stoner built the AR-16 in 7.62, and then left Armalite. Another engineer downsized the -16 to the -18. But the -16 was meant to be the American AK-47. All the small parts are common and easy to find, the gun was meant to be easy and cheap to build, and the design was meant to be hardy.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:32 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter
Recon_Ninja_985

Going on other ideas...

AR-18's a whole different critter, and for the record, isn't a Stoner. Stoner built the AR-16 in 7.62, and then left Armalite. Another engineer downsized the -16 to the -18. But the -16 was meant to be the American AK-47. All the small parts are common and easy to find, the gun was meant to be easy and cheap to build, and the design was meant to be hardy.
he said AR. he didn't specify which model in particular so what I said was more or less still true  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:44 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn

he said AR. he didn't specify which model in particular so what I said was more or less still true
User Image  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:46 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn

User Image
mrgreen  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:30 am
Valkyrie Hatter

Except that Eugene Stoner did even that before they did. The G36 is a gussied up version of the AR-18, which is a short-stroke and simplified version. So the HK416 is a retrofit of a Eugene Stoner design onto another Eugene Stoner design, with the HK name stamped onto the side of it, with an appropriate price markup while they screamed that they were the first to ever do it.

Primitive? Direct impingement is the most modern of all gas systems, one which couldn't happen at all if we still used corrosive ammunition, which only really stopped, in the US, around WW2. I'd go very far to say it's the most advanced gas system out there. Does it have it's problems? Yes, as does short-stroke. Those pistons are prone to bending, which completely ruins the firearm to a level above armory. And when the lifespan is measured in decades- I carried an M4 that had been carried in the original Desert Storm- anyway, I don't think that serves a serious problem.  

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:44 am
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter

Except that Eugene Stoner did even that before they did. The G36 is a gussied up version of the AR-18, which is a short-stroke and simplified version. So the HK416 is a retrofit of a Eugene Stoner design onto another Eugene Stoner design, with the HK name stamped onto the side of it, with an appropriate price markup while they screamed that they were the first to ever do it.

Primitive? Direct impingement is the most modern of all gas systems, one which couldn't happen at all if we still used corrosive ammunition, which only really stopped, in the US, around WW2. I'd go very far to say it's the most advanced gas system out there. Does it have it's problems? Yes, as does short-stroke. Those pistons are prone to bending, which completely ruins the firearm to a level above armory. And when the lifespan is measured in decades- I carried an M4 that had been carried in the original Desert Storm- anyway, I don't think that serves a serious problem.
actually. the 5.45x39 version of S&W M&P15 is DI. I know people with them who praise them and I also see nothing but good reviews.

and yes, they shoot the cheap hugely available corrosive surplus out of it  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:47 am
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter

I once fired a 'Nam vet M16A0. ******** had a bent front sight post and smelled like carrots, but it shot like a champ for the hundred-ish rounds I put through it.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:14 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter

actually. the 5.45x39 version of S&W M&P15 is DI. I know people with them who praise them and I also see nothing but good reviews.

and yes, they shoot the cheap hugely available corrosive surplus out of it
Oddly enough, DI is easier to clean that gas-piston. Sure, there's more area to cover, but it's easier to clean what's there.

Man, I hope those tubes are made of Chrome.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:22 am
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter

DI is easier to clean because it's just a simple tube.

I don't recall hearing about any SKS having bent pistons or AKs for that matter.

Wow an M4 living past Desert Storm...Again big whoop. Plenty of them circulated through black markets after the war.

You know why an AR-15 can last just as long as an AK can? Because it's made of ********' aluminum.

You know why the military doesn't convert it to belt fed and make it a SAW? Because it's made of aluminum and it's a closed bolt not to mention the DI system just transfers heat back to the aluminum reciever.

You know why the Russians made the AK into a SAW? Because it's made of steel and it's a long stroke. (And they're ******** lazy and don't bother replacing or deviating from a system with a great history of being reliable and idiot proof.) Two great factors that make it far more heat resistant. Just make the stampings thicker or mill them and put on a heavy barrel and you got a SAW.

((Why doesn't half this s**t occur to me when I first start posting?))  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:25 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter
Recon_Ninja_985

Going on other ideas...

Should've specified AR-10 or AR-15 because the AR-18 is a different critter like Fresnel stated.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:44 am
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter

I don't recall hearing about any SKS having bent pistons or AKs for that matter.

Wow an M4 living past Desert Storm...Again big whoop. Plenty of them circulated through black markets after the war.

You know why an AR-15 can last just as long as an AK can? Because it's made of ********' aluminum.

You know why the military doesn't convert it to belt fed and make it a SAW? Because it's made of aluminum and it's a closed bolt not to mention the DI system just transfers heat back to the aluminum reciever.

You know why the Russians made the AK into a SAW? Because it's made of steel and it's a long stroke. (And they're ******** lazy and don't bother replacing or deviating from a system with a great history of being reliable and idiot proof.) Two great factors that make it far more heat resistant. Just make the stampings thicker or mill them and put on a heavy barrel and you got a SAW.

Yes, aluminum does last long.

SKS's had tilting bolts, and like the AK, most of the mass in the gun is taken up by the piston. They threw metal at the problem until it went away.

What? You know why they don't convert them to belt feed? Because that's not some kind of drop in part. What the ******** are you talking about? The original M16A1 replaced the BAR and the M14. The AK works so well because it was designed to be a piece of s**t made for pieces of s**t who couldn't be trusted to do more than point that way and hold the trigger down.  

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:52 am
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter

NEIN!
it's the exact opposite, much harder to clean. you rarely even need to clean the tube with DI. you just have to clean the entire gun instead

when there isnt a piston to block gasses and burnt powder the bolt carrier and all the parts inside the reciever get completely blasted with EVERYTHING

regarding the "Russian SAW" there is no real wrong answer. theres either the RPD, RPK47 , RPK74 or the PKM. all of them are lighter than western light support MG's

RPD is probably the closest communist MG comparable to a SAW,but they stopped using them in favor of the RPK series instead (kinda like you said)
except they already had them first, they just said ******** em and did what was easier to do  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:06 am
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter

SKS's had tilting bolts, and like the AK, most of the mass in the gun is taken up by the piston. They threw metal at the problem until it went away.

What? You know why they don't convert them to belt feed? Because that's not some kind of drop in part. What the ******** are you talking about? The original M16A1 replaced the BAR and the M14. The AK works so well because it was designed to be a piece of s**t made for pieces of s**t who couldn't be trusted to do more than point that way and hold the trigger down.
now that's being just a little harsh.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:25 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter
Pripyat Dawn
Valkyrie Hatter

now that's being just a little harsh.
I agree, uncalled for and ungentlemen like.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff