Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:16 am
Recon_Ninja_985
n-n-Dimethyltryptamine
drums on the steyr aug are unheard of in actual military operations... in fact, a drum magazine on anything other then a dedicated clearance shotgun or LMG is ******** pointless... Actually, strike that. Drum magazines in general are pointless. They're bulky, mess with the balance of a weapon, and promote poor shooting in an operator.

30 round stick should be all you need, if you REALLY need that much firepower then tape a couple together

if there's anything you particularly would like to know about the aug, feel free to ask. I've spent a lot of time with that particular platform.
I wouldnt say drums are bad... they make the lightest of LMG's possible.

the RPK is a great weapon
and the MG36 is a great weapon too

even non LMG drumfed guns like the Suomi and PPSH are excellent guns.
The RPK doesn't really have a drum magazine, it just has a round belt carrier. And last I heard, the MG36 kinda fizzled and barely hit production, because the Bundeswehr went "lolno, MG4".

ETA: Oh yeah, and the PPSh drum mags were giant piles of s**t and fail. If you loaded them to capacity, they'd doublefeed the first ten rounds, and even if you didn't, they'd still jam like mad. That's why they replaced them with the 32-round sticks.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:18 am
Recon_Ninja_985
n-n-Dimethyltryptamine
drums on the steyr aug are unheard of in actual military operations... in fact, a drum magazine on anything other then a dedicated clearance shotgun or LMG is ******** pointless... Actually, strike that. Drum magazines in general are pointless. They're bulky, mess with the balance of a weapon, and promote poor shooting in an operator.

30 round stick should be all you need, if you REALLY need that much firepower then tape a couple together

if there's anything you particularly would like to know about the aug, feel free to ask. I've spent a lot of time with that particular platform.

Outside of LMGs, no weapon needs a drum mag. the only situation in which fire needs to go downrange without being effective on a target is to suppress infantry movements - something no short weapon would ever do.

and even when it comes to an LMG, belts are far more versatile and man-portable. clumsy drums are clumsy.  

King 0wl

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:38 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
n-n-Dimethyltryptamine

The RPK doesn't really have a drum magazine, it just has a round belt carrier. And last I heard, the MG36 kinda fizzled and barely hit production, because the Bundeswehr went "lolno, MG4".

ETA: Oh yeah, and the PPSh drum mags were giant piles of s**t and fail. If you loaded them to capacity, they'd doublefeed the first ten rounds, and even if you didn't, they'd still jam like mad. That's why they replaced them with the 32-round sticks.
no no, you're talking about the RPD with the round belt carrier. i'm talking about the RPK which utilizes any AK magazine, best suited for the drums.

as for the others....meh  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:41 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
n-n-Dimethyltryptamine

no no, you're talking about the RPD with the round belt carrier. i'm talking about the RPK which utilizes any AK magazine, best suited for the drums.

as for the others....meh
Damn Russian names, all so similar...

The problem with drums is that good ones weren't made until recently. for the longest time, drum magazines had a horrible reputation for jamming, rattling, and being an overall nuisance. Not sure about AK drums, but the first good one NATO ever saw was the C-Mag.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:47 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
n-n-Dimethyltryptamine

as for the others....meh

The problem with drums is that good ones weren't made until recently. for the longest time, drum magazines had a horrible reputation for jamming, rattling, and being an overall nuisance. Not sure about AK drums, but the first good one NATO ever saw was the C-Mag.
AK drums are regarded as some of the most reliable drums ever built. that goes for all combloc ak mags  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:06 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
n-n-Dimethyltryptamine

as for the others....meh

AK drums are regarded as some of the most reliable drums ever built. that goes for all combloc ak mags
It was designed with the stick... any idea when the drum was put into play? I'd bet 60's at the earliest, personally.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out