Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:05 am
Recon_Ninja_985
S12

semi and F/A versions exist
easier to load than AA12
works great when using most man stopping rounds. (no reason to use birdshot in combat anyway)
Give it a factory bolt hold-open and I'm on board.  
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:48 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
S12

easier to load than AA12
works great when using most man stopping rounds. (no reason to use birdshot in combat anyway)
they sell aftermarket bolt hold open safety levers.

if you dont feel like paying for an aftermarket, then you could always opt for dremel modification of the safety lever  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:58 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
S12

easier to load than AA12

if you dont feel like paying for an aftermarket, then you could always opt for dremel modification of the safety lever
Needs to be a factory option, all I'm sayin'. Would you buy a weapon to outfit a military, knowing full well it won't be 100% unless you have each and every weapon modified?  
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:01 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
S12

easier to load than AA12

Needs to be a factory option, all I'm sayin'. Would you buy a weapon to outfit a military, knowing full well it won't be 100% unless you have each and every weapon modified?
I know that newer S12's coming from izmash are being made from the factory with manual bolt hold opens.

I think it's different from the safety lever option  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:40 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
S12

easier to load than AA12

I know that newer S12's coming from izmash are being made from the factory with manual bolt hold opens.

I don't understand why anyone would sell a serious firearm without a last-round hold-open.

Quote:
"Why would you want your enemy to know your gun is empty!?” Hell, Hans, I just want to know when my gun is empty!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:19 pm
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

I don't understand why anyone would sell a serious firearm without a last-round hold-open.

Quote:
"Why would you want your enemy to know your gun is empty!?” Hell, Hans, I just want to know when my gun is empty!

the reason why they dont is because they dont have to. you dont see the AK utilizing them and militaries worldwide dont have a problem with it that would make them feel like adding one is needed,
it's an unnecessary feature that adds for convenience, that's it.

the only rifles a bolt hold open is actually necessary for are the m1 garand and anything semi auto that's fed from a stripper clip.

once you've become accustomed to the AK platform you can operate it quite fluently.

it's really not that hard to figure out when your gun isnt going bang anymore, thats not the point of having a bolt hold open anyways.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:01 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

Quote:

the reason why they dont is because they dont have to. you dont see the AK utilizing them and militaries worldwide dont have a problem with it that would make them feel like adding one is needed,

the only rifles a bolt hold open is actually necessary for are the m1 garand and anything semi auto that's fed from a stripper clip.

once you've become accustomed to the AK platform you can operate it quite fluently.

it's really not that hard to figure out when your gun isnt going bang anymore, thats not the point of having a bolt hold open anyways.
It's a convenience item, yet the majority of rifles and nearly all pistols come with it. The worst thing in the world is pointing your weapon at someone else, pulling the trigger to save your own life, and hearing "click" because you were too stressed to remember if you fired five rounds or six.  
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:55 pm
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

Quote:

It's a convenience item, yet the majority of rifles and nearly all pistols come with it. The worst thing in the world is pointing your weapon at someone else, pulling the trigger to save your own life, and hearing "click" because you were too stressed to remember if you fired five rounds or six.
but a bolt hold open is hardly an indicator. ive had and have seen others have moments where the bolt locks back on the last round and the person thinks they are still shooting. this isnt just with new shooters to the AR platform either.
yeah I know it feels different when it locks, but sometimes that isnt good enough and goes unnoticed.

my conclusion: when you go to pull the trigger for both rifles because you think youre still shooting and then nothing, the end result is no different.

bottom line is whenever you arent sure and have the time, it's common practice and common sense to do a press check and see whats left in the mag. two very quick checks  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:50 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

Quote:

but a bolt hold open is hardly an indicator. ive had and have seen others have moments where the bolt locks back on the last round and the person thinks they are still shooting. this isnt just with new shooters to the AR platform either.
yeah I know it feels different when it locks, but sometimes that isnt good enough and goes unnoticed.

my conclusion: when you go to pull the trigger for both rifles because you think youre still shooting and then nothing, the end result is no different.

bottom line is whenever you arent sure and have the time, it's common practice and common sense to do a press check and see whats left in the mag. two very quick checks
The AR is great, because not only is the recoil sharper on the last shot, but the buffer spring twangs a higher pitch. I've done a lot of rapid-fire competition, and never failed to notice when I was out. And I totally fail at round-counting.

And my point is it's obviously neither difficult or impossible to do, and it's a useful feature, so why NOT implement it?  
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:51 pm
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

The AR is great, because not only is the recoil sharper on the last shot, but the buffer spring twangs a higher pitch. I've done a lot of rapid-fire competition, and never failed to notice when I was out. And I totally fail at round-counting.

And my point is it's obviously neither difficult or impossible to do, and it's a useful feature, so why NOT implement it?
most rifles do these days anyways.

seems the AK platform is catching up in some way with some recent implementations of a trigger guard area bolt catch as well as some notched safeties.
plus there are AK mags and followers that do lock the charging handle back after the last round  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:09 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

seems the AK platform is catching up in some way with some recent implementations of a trigger guard area bolt catch as well as some notched safeties.
plus there are AK mags and followers that do lock the charging handle back after the last round
Also needs a safety silencer. xd  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:18 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

???  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:54 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

???
AKs are known for having a loud safety?

AR: You can silently flip off your safety with one finger.
AK: Your safety can be heard from 100 yards off.
Mosin: Safety?  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:57 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

???

ak safety isnt loud at all. it's still a click, not a clack.

you can make it silent my holding onto it tightly and moving it slow  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:35 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

???

ak safety isnt loud at all. it's still a click, not a clack.

you can make it silent my holding onto it tightly and moving it slow
I think it depends on the AK. I've heard some that have quite the 'snap' to them, almost like dropping the bolt on a .22.

But whatever, I'm only ******** around anyway. xd  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces