• Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:55 pm
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Recon_Ninja_985
to my knowledge it's not a birdcage. it's the 3 prong "weedgrabber" flash hider

i'd do alot of research of how to refit a barrel, and you're going to need the barrel wrench and all necessary tools for getting off the gas tube and all that junk.

you wont be able to re use the triangular handguard retainer as it only fit on the thin barrel, youll need to buy one that fits on the govt profile, hbar or whichever barrel you decide to get and the handguards should work with that.
la France makes custom uppers in short configurations which is what I want so ill get them to make me my very own m16k with a heavy barrel. Call me a kid but I'm a fan of sbrs.
You'll regret getting an HBAR. ******** are heavier than you think.
On an SBR firing through 100 rounds from a Beta c it's a godsend.
Depends how far you're SBRing it, though. Also it should be noted that the shorter an AR barrel gets, the less reliable it is. It needs the delay given by a 20" barrel to function as designed.
Not with a piston and the barrel is about 8 inches long which is bigger than the KP23 by olympic arms.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:08 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Recon_Ninja_985
to my knowledge it's not a birdcage. it's the 3 prong "weedgrabber" flash hider

i'd do alot of research of how to refit a barrel, and you're going to need the barrel wrench and all necessary tools for getting off the gas tube and all that junk.

you wont be able to re use the triangular handguard retainer as it only fit on the thin barrel, youll need to buy one that fits on the govt profile, hbar or whichever barrel you decide to get and the handguards should work with that.
la France makes custom uppers in short configurations which is what I want so ill get them to make me my very own m16k with a heavy barrel. Call me a kid but I'm a fan of sbrs.
Depends how far you're SBRing it, though. Also it should be noted that the shorter an AR barrel gets, the less reliable it is. It needs the delay given by a 20" barrel to function as designed.
Not with a piston and the barrel is about 8 inches long which is bigger than the KP23 by olympic arms.
It's actually slightly worse with a piston. The higher the case pressure at time of extraction, the harder the extraction, as it has to fight the friction of the case expanded against the chamber walls. At time of extraction, case pressure is proportional to barrel volume, which, due to the placement of the gas block, is proportional to barrel length. With a gas tube, you have slightly more volume, and a slight delay between the bullet passing the gas hole and the carrier being pushed back, as the tube has to pressurize, which allows a bit more of the barrel to be used in the "volume at extraction" calculation. Not so with a piston. This causes a failure to eject, usually by either tearing rims or breaking the extractor claw off. And the smaller barrel also leads to a faster cyclical rate, which is more likely to cause failures to feed.

It's not a surefire thing... it's not a jam every time, it's just more common. Some people, like Recon, don't really notice it. Personally, I've got a 20", and I've put several thousand rounds through it without a single failure that wasn't caused by my shitty Chinese magazines or a bad reload. Some people end up with the "******** ARs, always goddamn jamming" syndrome, and then go and slander the the design all over the internet because they bought a gun that didn't follow the design specs.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:16 pm
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
It's actually slightly worse with a piston. The higher the case pressure at time of extraction, the harder the extraction, as it has to fight the friction of the case expanded against the chamber walls. At time of extraction, case pressure is proportional to barrel volume, which, due to the placement of the gas block, is proportional to barrel length. With a gas tube, you have slightly more volume, and a slight delay between the bullet passing the gas hole and the carrier being pushed back, as the tube has to pressurize, which allows a bit more of the barrel to be used in the "volume at extraction" calculation. Not so with a piston. This causes a failure to eject, usually by either tearing rims or breaking the extractor claw off. And the smaller barrel also leads to a faster cyclical rate, which is more likely to cause failures to feed.

It's not a surefire thing... it's not a jam every time, it's just more common. Some people, like Recon, don't really notice it. Personally, I've got a 20", and I've put several thousand rounds through it without a single failure that wasn't caused by my shitty Chinese magazines or a bad reload. Some people end up with the "******** ARs, always goddamn jamming" syndrome, and then go and slander the the design all over the internet because they bought a gun that didn't follow the design specs.
As Ivan Chesnokov would say: "SHITTY CAPITALIST RIFLE NO GOOD BECAUSE s**t WHERE IT EATS LIKE DOG"

Also 8.5 inches of barrel is the standard length of the La France M16K but I can up the scale to 10 or 12 inch but how much play do I need exactly? I mean the HK416 and 417 work with 12 inch barrels.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:48 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

As Ivan Chesnokov would say: "SHITTY CAPITALIST RIFLE NO GOOD BECAUSE s**t WHERE IT EATS LIKE DOG"

Also 8.5 inches of barrel is the standard length of the La France M16K but I can up the scale to 10 or 12 inch but how much play do I need exactly? I mean the HK416 and 417 work with 12 inch barrels.
If that were true, the 20" would be just as jammy.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if I had to guess I'd say it's a linear progression (i.e. a 14" barrel is just as jammy in comparison to a 16" as a 16" is in comparison to an 18"). The system was designed with a 20" barrel, so that's what it works best with.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:59 pm
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if I had to guess I'd say it's a linear progression (i.e. a 14" barrel is just as jammy in comparison to a 16" as a 16" is in comparison to an 18"). The system was designed with a 20" barrel, so that's what it works best with.
Perhaps an A2 upper but I'm still using the piston conversion to make the rifle easier to clean.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:54 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

Perhaps an A2 upper but I'm still using the piston conversion to make the rifle easier to clean.
The piston in and of itself isn't a bad idea, you'll probably get, like, one extra jam per ten thousand rounds or something outrageous like that. Also, I don't recommend a fixed carry handle. I regret getting mine, next to nothing goes on it, and when something DOES go on it, it's too high up to use.

Apparently one of our local world-class high power shooters went several years without cleaning his gun to prove a point. Before every match he'd open the bolt, give it a shot of silicone lubricant, and work the bolt a few times. Literally no additional cleaning at any time. ARs are dirty, yes, but after a time, they self-regulate. Just food for thought.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:54 pm
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

I didnt mention this before but there is a ridiculous easy way to correct the timing in a DI carbine . surprised I didnt think of it sooner. it's a pigtail gas tube that's essentially the same distance of gas travel as the rifle length tube but it's been coiled up to fit into a 16" carbine  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:59 pm
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

The piston in and of itself isn't a bad idea, you'll probably get, like, one extra jam per ten thousand rounds or something outrageous like that. Also, I don't recommend a fixed carry handle. I regret getting mine, next to nothing goes on it, and when something DOES go on it, it's too high up to use.

Apparently one of our local world-class high power shooters went several years without cleaning his gun to prove a point. Before every match he'd open the bolt, give it a shot of silicone lubricant, and work the bolt a few times. Literally no additional cleaning at any time. ARs are dirty, yes, but after a time, they self-regulate. Just food for thought.
BUT PETTY CAPITALIST RIFLE FAIL DUST TEST AGAINST UNORIGINAL DESIGN OF FN SCAR AND XM8!!! BUT XM8 OF WEAK GERMAN b***h FAIL AGAINST PROUD SOVIET DESIGN OF KALASHNIKOVA!!

JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT, COMRADE.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:07 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

I didnt mention this before but there is a ridiculous easy way to correct the timing in a DI carbine . surprised I didnt think of it sooner. it's a pigtail gas tube that's essentially the same distance of gas travel as the rifle length tube but it's been coiled up to fit into a 16" carbine
I'm thinking some precise engineering could simply widen a section of the gas tube to change the timing. I'd be worried that curves would build up carbon crap that couldn't be cleaned out.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:09 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

BUT PETTY CAPITALIST RIFLE FAIL DUST TEST AGAINST UNORIGINAL DESIGN OF FN SCAR AND XM8!!! BUT XM8 OF WEAK GERMAN b***h FAIL AGAINST PROUD SOVIET DESIGN OF KALASHNIKOVA!!

JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT, COMRADE.
Petty capitalist rifle built by Colt. I've never heard bitching about a quality AR build, only Colts and [other] s**t-tier ARs.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:41 pm
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

I'm thinking some precise engineering could simply widen a section of the gas tube to change the timing. I'd be worried that curves would build up carbon crap that couldn't be cleaned out.
only thing I can think of is making a bigger thicker tube  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:54 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

That's what I'm thinking too, but the larger middle section would again be hard to clean. What it really needs is a delay of some kind. The best idea I've got there is a telescoping piston. It collapses, THEN cycles the bolt. Of course that's a terrible idea and I know it, but it'd work. Just... not every time.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:22 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

That's what I'm thinking too, but the larger middle section would again be hard to clean. What it really needs is a delay of some kind. The best idea I've got there is a telescoping piston. It collapses, THEN cycles the bolt. Of course that's a terrible idea and I know it, but it'd work. Just... not every time.
orrrr. just keep the same tube. the hole in the barrel that leads to the gas tube should just be a bit smaller.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:34 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

orrrr. just keep the same tube. the hole in the barrel that leads to the gas tube should just be a bit smaller.
User Image  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:47 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
User Image
too simple?  
Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas