Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
'Yo' 'Son' and other Slang terms (Curses included) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Kaleidoscope]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:44 pm
EonOmega
I found this quote whilst browsing on the WOTC forums.
"'[F]o shizzle ma nizzle' is a bastardization of '[F]o' sheezy mah neezy' which is a bastardization of '[F]or sure mah *****' which is a bastdardization of "I concur with you whole[-]heartedly my African [A]merican brother[.]"
It apparently came from the AIM profile of cheeZe477.
Anyway, I greatly dislike people who use that type of slang, who constantly attempt to verbally abuse me.
In their jock(y) ways, they constantly ask me, "Do you like girls?"
I once replied, "I am heterosexual."
They replied, "So you're gay, right?"
Ergh.

Ha. I laughed as I read that. That's pitiful. I go to a public school, and 3/4 of the students talk like that. After a while I just ignore it, but in the beginning it drove me insane. I tried teaching them proper grammar and all, but who would like to seem literate?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:12 pm
bloody_rampage
EonOmega
I found this quote whilst browsing on the WOTC forums.
"'[F]o shizzle ma nizzle' is a bastardization of '[F]o' sheezy mah neezy' which is a bastardization of '[F]or sure mah *****' which is a bastdardization of "I concur with you whole[-]heartedly my African [A]merican brother[.]"
It apparently came from the AIM profile of cheeZe477.
Anyway, I greatly dislike people who use that type of slang, who constantly attempt to verbally abuse me.
In their jock(y) ways, they constantly ask me, "Do you like girls?"
I once replied, "I am heterosexual."
They replied, "So you're gay, right?"
Ergh.

Ha. I laughed as I read that. That's pitiful. I go to a public school, and 3/4 of the students talk like that. After a while I just ignore it, but in the beginning it drove me insane. I tried teaching them proper grammar and all, but who would like to seem literate?

Yeah. I tried as well. And then they give me a hard time for it. What is it with people rejecting those more intelligetn than them or who have a talent or skill that they don't, istead of apreciating them for it or trying to find his or her own talen or skill? What, do they need to give people like us a hard time to feel good about themselves?  

lola_siannodel

WellThen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:29 pm
First, to lola: There are a few explanations to this. The obvious one is jealousy, they can't climb to your level so they drag you down. Often, from what I've seen, it's more of a pack thing though. One person doesn't agree with it, so the others don't. As I tell people, free-will is accepted by society, as long as you don't use it.

For the slang, I don't mind it that much, verbally. I use slang (one I get berated for is "emo". Not wanting to start a debate here, if you feel strongly for either side of this, go see my journal) when I'm simply having a conversation with my friends, even though I do have a better use for alot of the words. I have a large vocabulary, but I find one problem is that most people don't, so I get sick of explaining myself. But I do agree with the previous comment on evolution of the language. For example, why don't we speak Elizabethan anymore? The language evolved, and it wasn't needed.

Just for the past bit on rap, there is some good rap out there. Tu-Pac, for example, actually has amazing lyrics. Eminem's more serious songs often do as well. For anyone who knows K-Os, that goes without being said.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:31 am
WellThen
First, to lola: There are a few explanations to this. The obvious one is jealousy, they can't climb to your level so they drag you down. Often, from what I've seen, it's more of a pack thing though. One person doesn't agree with it, so the others don't. As I tell people, free-will is accepted by society, as long as you don't use it.

For the slang, I don't mind it that much, verbally. I use slang (one I get berated for is "emo". Not wanting to start a debate here, if you feel strongly for either side of this, go see my journal) when I'm simply having a conversation with my friends, even though I do have a better use for alot of the words. I have a large vocabulary, but I find one problem is that most people don't, so I get sick of explaining myself. But I do agree with the previous comment on evolution of the language. For example, why don't we speak Elizabethan anymore? The language evolved, and it wasn't needed.

Just for the past bit on rap, there is some good rap out there. Tu-Pac, for example, actually has amazing lyrics. Eminem's more serious songs often do as well. For anyone who knows K-Os, that goes without being said.

Yes. But it seems that this is the only language that I acctualy hear the phrase 'slang' or stuff like that to describe it. Most other languages I've only heard them say that some of the words in the book are 'archaic' and stuff like that. I wonder if slang is more accepted as new words.  

lola_siannodel

Xanadu_beauty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:38 am
[Amonie]
I'm confused, are you saying a person who speaks Ebonics is using incorrect grammar?

Haha...ebonics. mrgreen Don't make me laugh! You know, they even made flash cards for that in the 90's, was it? I can't quite remember, but it was hilarious. They had definitions on the back, so you could correctly use your new-found words correctly in a sentence...haha! rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:46 pm
lola_siannodel
WellThen

Yes. But it seems that this is the only language that I acctualy hear the phrase 'slang' or stuff like that to describe it. Most other languages I've only heard them say that some of the words in the book are 'archaic' and stuff like that. I wonder if slang is more accepted as new words.

It is. Most slang eventually becomes new words, and becomes a recognized word in the language. For example, the original meaning of the word "f*****t", is a bundle of wood. Now, in North America, it developed into "f**" and means a homosexual man. Now, how do those definitions have any connection? And it's actually in the dictionnary, if you look.  

WellThen

lola_siannodel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:50 pm
WellThen
lola_siannodel
WellThen

It is. Most slang eventually becomes new words, and becomes a recognized word in the language. For example, the original meaning of the word "f*****t", is a bundle of wood. Now, in North America, it developed into "f**" and means a homosexual man. Now, how do those definitions have any connection? And it's actually in the dictionnary, if you look.

I knew about the f*****t thing, but isn't a f** a ciggerate in England? (Sorry that I can't spell. I try.) I thought there was a slng, it just doesn't seem to come up as much when I'm learing a language.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:29 pm
lola_siannodel

I knew about the f*****t thing, but isn't a f** a ciggerate in England? (Sorry that I can't spell. I try.) I thought there was a slng, it just doesn't seem to come up as much when I'm learing a language.

Yes it is. And the reason it doesn't come up when you're learning a new language, is because you don't grow up with it. I've spoken french my whole life, and I remember, about 7 years back, a hot-dog was a chien-chaud. But now, hot-dog is fully accepted.  

WellThen

lola_siannodel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:46 pm
WellThen
lola_siannodel

Yes it is. And the reason it doesn't come up when you're learning a new language, is because you don't grow up with it. I've spoken french my whole life, and I remember, about 7 years back, a hot-dog was a chien-chaud. But now, hot-dog is fully accepted.

Oh. I get it.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:56 pm
I agree that the BAD rap is helping them. A bunch of my friends were strutting around, yelling, "MAH HUMPS! YO, GEEE"

They also all avoided me. When I confronted them, they said, "It's because you use such big words, and it makes us feel dumb."

.... confused Also, slang seems to make the boys of my school feel more manly.  

Bittersweet_3

lola_siannodel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:39 am
Bittersweet_3
I agree that the BAD rap is helping them. A bunch of my friends were strutting around, yelling, "MAH HUMPS! YO, GEEE"

They also all avoided me. When I confronted them, they said, "It's because you use such big words, and it makes us feel dumb."

Yeah. I don't really hang around that many people who are really into rap. But the guys using it to feel manly thing is probobly true.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:20 pm
Bittersweet_3

You've obviously never yelled that at someone. It's so much fun.

I think a lot of people use slang just for the fun of it and because it sounds cool. I know that I've started calling people 'biotches' because it's fun to say. My friends use slang like that for the same reason, and we're all intelligent and have large vocabularies.

Shrocomemos

Natsuri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:16 pm
lola_siannodel
Bittersweet_3

Yeah. I don't really hang around that many people who are really into rap. But the guys using it to feel manly thing is probobly true.

I heard that. With a huge lack of misunderstanding of some words, and the notion "Literate=Not Cool," it's just sadly appalling, really. Especially the fact that the huge majority of my high school yell and curse to feel so mature.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:25 am
Natsuri
lola_siannodel
Bittersweet_3

I heard that. With a huge lack of misunderstanding of some words, and the notion "Literate=Not Cool," it's just sadly appalling, really. Especially the fact that the huge majority of my high school yell and curse to feel so mature.

Yeah. In the Sesshoumaru-sama Guild, a girl left, but not before making a thread where she called us all freaks, used text talk, and claimed she was too mature for anime. Ironic, or just stupid, you decide.  

lola_siannodel

WellThen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:19 am
lola_siannodel
Natsuri
lola_siannodel
Bittersweet_3

Yeah. In the Sesshoumaru-sama Guild, a girl left, but not before making a thread where she called us all freaks, used text talk, and claimed she was too mature for anime. Ironic, or just stupid, you decide.

Well, the only angle that made any sense whatsoever in the entire argument she made, would be too mature for anime, because it's cartoons. However, there is very adult-oriented anime out there, if you know which ones they are (I, myself, have never really gotten into all that, so I only know the basics, like Ghost In The Shell). But she contradicts herself by using text talk. People's lack of logic is quite annoying.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff