Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
History of Magic III (1/5) *New Class 2/10* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kiska166
Crew

Devoted Winner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:22 pm

Ariana Hawthorne
Third Year: Hufflepuff Seeker

User Image

Ariana sat down near the front. She listened to Professor Powell's lesson. She fantasized about how wonderful it must have been to share a world and knowledge with muggles about her magical abilities. If the girl could have told her muggle friends about magic, she would have. They could've had so much fun together!

§ M I L Σ ツ
it looks good on you.
wearing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:54 pm
User Image
Amanda Davis
Third Year: Slytherin Chaser

Amanda sat down at the back of the class, finishing up her lunch quickly. She had brought food from the Great Hall to class as she didn't give herself enough time to eat even though the previous class she had ended at 9:45, and it was now 14:00. When Professor Powell started his lesson, the girl tried her very best to pay attention to everything he said. If times were like that now, I'd probably do the same, she thought, referring to Wendolyn the Weird. It would be hilarious to have muggles try to kill her, and then she would end up getting out of the situation, and they would have to restart the hunt.

You Touch Me..
I break you.
wearing
((I know : P but she just feels that she isn't one of his "favorite" students haha ))

kiska166
Crew

Devoted Winner

BeaterBeast525

Timid Werewolf

5,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:17 am
User Image
I'm not afraid of anything
I just need to know that I can breathe
I don't need much of anything
But suddenly, suddenly

I am small and the world is big
All around me is fast moving
Surrounded by so many things
But suddenly, suddenly

eather tevia awthorn
Single | Hufflepuff | Third Year | Beater | Halfblood

Would you comfort me? Would you cry with me?

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Heather entered the classroom, ready for another lecture in History of Magic. Professor Powell was quite the character, making him one of her favorite teachers. Sitting down at her desk, she prepared to take notes. The lesson for the day, Muggle Witch Burnings, made her stomach churn. Just the thoughts of these persecuted muggles made her ill. She knew her grandparents were muggles, and her parents were both muggleborn, making her a halfblood. How could someone do such a thing as to murder those people? She would ask this question, but instead, at the end of the lesson, she put her head in her hands and tried to quiet the thoughts in her head.

Wearing
{OOC:}

I'm young, and I am free
But I get tired, and I get weak
I get lost, and I can't sleep
But suddenly, suddenly

How does it feel, to be different from me?
Are we the same?
Are we the same?
How does it feel?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:22 pm
Chase Henrick User Image
Ravenclaw : Third Year : Chaser
User Image

Chase was relieved that he didn't live way back then, when the witch burnings were common. A simple suspicion could cause such a dramatic effect, making the muggles live in fear of wizards and witches abusing their powers. The time period sounded like a time of hatred and fear, much like during wartime.

User Image

"The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being.
His heart withers if it does not answer another heart.
His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration."
- Pearl S. Buck

User Image

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Object of Affection 150

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:30 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Shina Kiremono~Third Year~Ravenclaw

User Image

Shina entered the class with the others, choosing a seat and getting out her supplies. She took notes during the lecture, and when the professor mentioned questions, she raised her hand. "While the end result was the wizarding community going into hiding, was there any attempt made at reconciliation between wizarding and muggle groups on a large scale prior ot the split of the communities? I imagine there must have been a variety of reactions on the individual level, but I was wondering if there was any group effort to halt the forming schism," Shina asked.

User Image
((OOC: ... ))

Wearing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:45 pm
User Image
╔══════════════╗
Katrina Varren

Third Year Hufflepuff
╚══════════════╝

Where am I? History of Magic
What am I doing? Class time.
What am I thinking? Yay! Class time!

Kat entered the History of Magic classroom and found her girlfriend near the front of the classroom. She joined her just before the lecture started and took out her writing implements. Katrina was very interested in Professor Powell's lecture. She took extensive notes, detailing Wendolyn the Weird. When the Professor finished his lecture, Kat raised her hand. "Professor? In America, the witch trials were the worst in Salem, right? Why did the try to get people to confess to being witches? They planned on killing them either way."

Out of Character ...

Professor Tahiri

Liberal Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:15 am
User Image

± : . : ± : . : ± : . : ±
Eretria Whitethorne
Third Year - Slytherin Chaser
± : . : ± : . : ± : . : ±

Eretria walked into the classroom and listened to the lecture. Were these the same people that her brother wished to associate with? They sounded particularly barbaric. It was no wonder that wizards withdrew from their society. She stayed silent, simply copying down her notes and listening to her classmates ask their questions.

----------------------------------
State: Calm
OOC: ...

Let's see what I can make of this...  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 am
User Image

≎≎≎≎≎≎≎≎

Grayson Powell
History of Magic Professor
Former Ravenclaw

≎≎≎≎≎≎≎≎

Now where did I put that wand?

Grayson looked over toward Shina and then Kat. "Well, those are some pretty good questions. As far as people petitioning for a repeal of the Statute of Secrecy, there have been numerous breeches of the law since it was enacted. One woman in particular, Carlotta Pinkstone, is infamous for continuously advocating a repeal of the statute, and has served several sentences in Azkaban as a result." He sighed as he considered Kat's question. "Were some of the worst. There were other groups that violently persecuted wizards, but Salem would be the most infamous example of the treatment of witches. As for why they tried to get people to confess, if I recall my muggle history correctly, there weren't even any real witches in Salem that were caught. It was mostly a lot of paranoia and fear that caused the accusations, as well as a possible rivalry that escalated into the events of that year."

State: Teaching

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Professor Tahiri

Liberal Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:35 pm
User Image
╔══════════════╗
Katrina Varren

Third Year Hufflepuff
╚══════════════╝

"Abagail Williams was, Professor. She was the dark witch responsible for the witch trials starting. My father used to talk about her a lot," she said, frowning at the Professor.

Out of Character ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:24 pm
User Image

≎≎≎≎≎≎≎≎

Grayson Powell
Former Ravenclaw

≎≎≎≎≎≎≎≎

Grayson rose an eyebrow at Kat. Her father told her that? Where did he pick up his information? "There's never been any evidence to suggest any witch was ever in the area, magical or otherwise. As for Abigail Williams, it's been suggested that she may have had some sort of illness that caused her erratic behavior in Salem."

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Professor Tahiri

Liberal Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:29 pm
User Image
╔══════════════╗
Katrina Varren

Third Year Hufflepuff
╚══════════════╝

"I... Well...Um..." Suddenly, Kat felt very stupid. Of course Aldanis lied to you, she thought to herself, mentally berating herself for believing her father's bullshart. She sighed heavily and said, "Sorry Professor. I believed the lies of a mad man."

Out of Character ...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:39 pm
User Image

≎≎≎≎≎≎≎≎

Grayson Powell
Former Ravenclaw

≎≎≎≎≎≎≎≎

Grayson walked into the classroom, excited to get the class started. He quickly wrote the topic for the day upon the board, and then turned to face the students. He grinned at them, more comfortable with teaching than he had been at the beginning of the year.

Professor Powell
Nicolas Flamel

"Hello again, class. Today the topic is Nicolas Flamel, renouned alchemist and quite possibly the longest lived wizard of all time.

"Nicolas Flamel (c. 1327 - c. 1992) was a well-known alchemist and only known maker of the Philosopher's Stone, a legendary substance with incredible powers. He was a close friend and partner with former Hogwarts School Headmaster Albus Dumbledore. He owed his considerable age to the Elixir of Life which he and his wife, Perenelle, created using the Stone. They were aged six hundred sixty-five and six hundred fifty-eight, respectively, at their time of deaths.

"Flamel is noted as an alchemist of considerable talent and as an opera-lover. It is said he enjoyed his later years living a quiet life in Devon. Although it is clear that he used the Elixir to greatly extend his life, it is not specified whether he used the Stone's powers to make himself greatly wealthy, as the Stone is also capable of turning any metal into gold.

"The danger of the Stone's existence was brought to light when Voldemort, with the help of Hogwarts Professor Quirinus Quirrell, was nearly successful in stealing it for the purpose of restoring Voldemort to physical form. However, his plan was thwarted by the efforts of Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley. Flamel agreed, along with Dumbledore, that the stone should be destroyed. With enough Elixir to set his affairs in order, it was expected that Flamel and his wife would die shortly thereafter.

"Now I know that some of you may have questions, so please feel free to ask them. However I do have a question for you. Would it be worth it to live forever and have endless amounts of money if you had the ability to do so?

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

BeaterBeast525

Timid Werewolf

5,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:10 pm
User Image
I'm not afraid of anything
I just need to know that I can breathe
I don't need much of anything
But suddenly, suddenly

I am small and the world is big
All around me is fast moving
Surrounded by so many things
But suddenly, suddenly

eather tevia awthorn
Dating Dhylan Nolynn | Hufflepuff | Halfblood
Beater | Quidditch Vice Captain | Third Year

Would you comfort me? Would you cry with me?

Heather walked into the History of Magic classroom and nodded a greeting to Professor Powell. She took her seat and pulled out a fresh piece of parchment to take notes. She listened to the lecture and realized that she didn't need to take the notes at all. She had covered this exact topic in Alchemy not too long ago, so this was all a review. She smiled to herself, and put her quill down, looking up at the professor. She pondered his question. Would it be worth it? Living forever with tons of money... But... she thought as she opened her mouth to speak. "It wouldn't be worth it. Not unless you have someone to share it with. An endless life is nothing with somebody to love and fill your heart with joy." she replied. As soon as she spoke up, she lowered her head in embarrassment. She started doodling tiny circles on her blank parchment.

Wearing
{OOC:}

I'm young, and I am free
But I get tired, and I get weak
I get lost, and I can't sleep
But suddenly, suddenly

Are we the same?
Are we the same?
How does it feel?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:08 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Shina Kiremono~Third Year~Ravenclaw Seeker

User Image

Shina arrived for her next History of Magic class, taking a seat and getting out her notebook and supplies. Endless life? That was a thorny issue.

Shina nodded her agreement with Heather's statement, then spoke up as well. "I think it would be horrible to live forever if you were alone in this ability and had no option to change your mind. But the Philosopher's Stone is different in some ways from most theoretical questions regarding eternal life. As Flamel and Perenelle showed, the stone creates enough for at least two people, and we don't know if it creates enough to extend the lives of more individuals.

"Watching everyone you know and love die as you live on alone would be a terrible thing. But if you could offer this gift to those you love, and have your loved ones around you...it might be an actual gift, rather than a curse. And, when you decided that it was enough, that you had lived a full life and done all that you wished, the Elixer doesn't stop you from allowing nature to finally take its course. Those two conditions really do change the situation, I think.

"As for the ability to make gold, money can't buy happiness, but it can buy you a certain measure of security and comfort that make it easier to pursue the things that make you happy. But beyond that, gold is really an amazing metal, and a highly useful one. It would be amazing if it were possible to create gold from other metals for use in industry where it is currently prohibitively expensive to use gold or gold alloys even when it would be the best metal or substance for the purpose," Shina said, looking excited at the idea of using gold in non-jewelry or monetary ways. "Gold has applications in medicine, dentistry, electronics, various branches of different sciences, and other areas. Just think of all the possibilities that could be available for inventors!"

User Image
((OOC: ... ))

Wearing

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:11 pm
Chase Henrick User Image
Ravenclaw : Third Year : Chaser
User Image

Chase remained quiet as he listened to the professor and the other students as they spoke their mind. The third year thought that the elixir somehow prevented the cerebellum from releasing the chemicals that catalyzed the slow breakdown and death of the body's cells and organs. Though most likely, he was just over-thinking everything.

"From the point of view of someone who wants to enjoy an elongated life," he began. "Perhaps what's important to them isn't the relationships, but rather nature. They interact successfully with Mother Nature, and wish to stay with her forever until her eventually her end comes. This, of course, also applies to someone who is bonded with other subjects, as they wish to stay and experience the developing area of study. Hobbies and love for materials may fill the void of the missing the family and friendship. As exemplified by the many single humans who chose a solitary life rather than one filled with interactions. Introverts, essentially.

"From a pessimistic viewpoint, since, as we all might have heard, life is filled with suffering. Violence, injustice, ignorance, etc, exist all over the place. It is rather beneficial to live as nature dictates, rather than stay alive longer to witness more suffering around us. Besides, the gold created from the stone would cause an economical scandal. Plus, people would murder for gold.

"From my own point of view, it is better to obey the laws of nature. Our time comes when our time comes. It has been scientifically proven that whatever amount of money we have, we as human beings experience the same amount of general happiness. In this case, money sounds unimportant. I feel as if immortality sounds 'fun' at first, but once having attained it, it'll become like everything else, a 'bore'."

Riddled with facts and more facts, his didn't really let his through show through. Instead, Chase hid his real answers among the words and sentences all of his answer, most notably his "From a pessimistic viewpoint" speech. He would never point them out though.

User Image

"The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being.
His heart withers if it does not answer another heart.
His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration."
- Pearl S. Buck

User Image

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas