Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild
Your "foreign" name Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:41 pm
District 69
ahaha, it's a bit embarrassing that you saw that. I should have really just ignored her. Some people reported me and I ended up in trouble for that.

Eh.
Anyway, welcome. I was waiting to see your post in the New Members' thread. You should certainly add one; I'm interested to know which languages you know and if you might want to learn any.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:59 pm
District 69
thanks for the welcome. I was originally supposed to take on Kenshiro written in the format of Kenshiro of Fist of the North Star. My father's friend suggested it (my father's friend was a nerd for Japan haha) and my mom finally convinced my father to change the kanji.

Haha that's funny. Good for your mom, eh? I think something that a lot of non-Japanese people don't realize is how much difference the kanji makes, even if the pronunciation is the same.  

Shiina-kun

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:29 pm
District 69
ayoooo
you can call me Ken...well it's actually Kenshiro
I'm half Japanese so I received an American first name, but a Japanese middle name.
It's written as Kenkou(health/healthy)'s ken, bushi(samurai/warrior)'s shi, rou/ro (a simple/common name ending for guys).

健士郎 <-right there

Though I like anime and manga, most of what I enjoy are not typial in the stats or among weeabos. it's meant for everyday Japanese people, so doesn't interest them.

I also hate when people add san, sama, kun....to whatever and whenever. If you're going to speak Japanese, speak it. If you're going to speak English, speak that. You don't see Japanese people adding Mr. Ms. lord...etc when they speak in Japanese.

Or when they give themselves a Japanese name and dislike when others call them by their English name
etc.etc.etc....sorry ranting on an on

Preach.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:52 pm
The_Brightest_Moon
District 69
ayoooo
you can call me Ken...well it's actually Kenshiro
I'm half Japanese so I received an American first name, but a Japanese middle name.
It's written as Kenkou(health/healthy)'s ken, bushi(samurai/warrior)'s shi, rou/ro (a simple/common name ending for guys).

健士郎 <-right there

Though I like anime and manga, most of what I enjoy are not typial in the stats or among weeabos. it's meant for everyday Japanese people, so doesn't interest them.

I also hate when people add san, sama, kun....to whatever and whenever. If you're going to speak Japanese, speak it. If you're going to speak English, speak that. You don't see Japanese people adding Mr. Ms. lord...etc when they speak in Japanese.

Or when they give themselves a Japanese name and dislike when others call them by their English name
etc.etc.etc....sorry ranting on an on

Preach.

redface

emikodo

Haha that's funny. Good for your mom, eh? I think something that a lot of non-Japanese people don't realize is how much difference the kanji makes, even if the pronunciation is the same.

oh boy, I would have been given this bad a** name that just doesn't fit me at all.  

District 69

Tipsy Fatcat

10,000 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Timid 100
  • Super Tipsy 200

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:28 am
If I were a dude my foreign name would be Tobias, because "Toby" is adorable. And like every German dude is named Tobias. I'll probably name my son that xp  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:10 pm
The_Brightest_Moon
If I were a dude my foreign name would be Tobias, because "Toby" is adorable. And like every German dude is named Tobias. I'll probably name my son that xp

It's funny that you mention that, because I did actually know a German guy named Tobias haha.  

Shiina-kun

Okier - chan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:10 pm
Shizuka Mizu
Okier - chan
My name is Alexandra which is Russian, Ukrainian, and Greek.
In greek it means Protector of men? something like that. ^^;;
I chose Uzuki Reiko as my japanese name (okier =reiko backwards)
Uzuki means the fourth lunar month (my birth month, aka april).
My Nisga'a name is going to Raven (the colour) finned killer whale.

.......Typically? No one calls me by my real name anymore. They simply call
me kitt, or kitty. As in Kitten minus the en xD ;;

You were right; ultimately of Greek origin, it combines the words:
ἀλέξειν (aléxein) "to protect" + ἀνήρ, ἀνδρός (anḗr, andrós) "man"
The masculine form being Ἀλέξανδρος (Aléxandros), the feminine being, yep, you guessed it. Ἀλεξάνδρα (Alexándra).

Mm, though I guess my name was used in the Russian style - should have been Aleksandra (Russian/Ukrainian spelling of name) as I was named after an Aleksandr Nikolai (I think my middle name is obvious now). We don't have traditional names here anymore, if we did people would never be able to pronounce them ;; (take Ksim Gaak for example). Thank you for breaking it up though, I never looked into my name in that way.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:23 am
emikodo
The_Brightest_Moon

It's funny that you mention that, because I did actually know a German guy named Tobias haha.

BECAUSE EVERY GERMAN GUY IS NAMED TOBIAS. And every girl is Laura.  

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

Glitoris

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:40 pm
French - Claire
Spanish - Clara
Latin - Clara

They all mean "clear." :3  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:02 pm
Chromosexual
French - Claire
Spanish - Clara
Latin - Clara

They all mean "clear." :3

;D  

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Blade Lorenz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:25 pm
Oooh, fun topic! Lemme see... this isn't actually going to be as easy as I thought.

English: Blade ('cause I'm not giving my real name out - and this is the primary one I use online, anyway) - Note: It's not actually a nod to a certain Wesley Snipes character, it's honestly coincidence.

Dutch: Marijke (This's been an IRL and online nickname of mine for at least 10 years, actually). If I am not totally mistaken, the name's meaning is something akin to "bitter rose" - which is remarkably fitting.

German: To be perfectly honest, most people just use my real, American name here whilst a few others call me by my Dutch nickname. If I had to pick one for some reason, I... dunno. I used to love the name Liesl, but won't ever use that for myself. Probably I'd just choose something like "Mareike", since it sounds similar to Marijke and I'm quite used to it anyway.

Oh, yes, before I forget... I did take a Spanish class when I was 16, and chose the name Dona Anna.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:21 pm
I have a few.

Japanese: 樹利香 (じゅりか) jurika - The first two seem to be for sound but the last one means perfume because the one who gave me the kanji said I smelled nice.
I also use 経妄荷 (へるもうに) herumouni - The first character is for sound, the second means reckless, because the character that I use it for is extremely reckless and the last one means to bear a burden.

Gaelic: Saibhríona (sah-vree-oh-na) - sweet and pure. I made it up.

Arabic: سارة (saira) - traveller

Hungarian: Csilla (chil-la) - star

Hermonie Urameshi

Conservative Explorer

6,550 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Guildmember 100

Hikaridranz

Lily-livered Hoarder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:09 pm
I think my real name's still easy to find even if I don't post it here blaugh
but I don't wanna write it. It's a really common name though. And my middle name means 'manly'. emotion_awesome

my chinese name's given to me by my grandparents. It's made of 2 characters; their combined meaning - elegant/graceful secondary rainbow.

I haven't thought of foreign names for myself neutral  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:36 pm
When I took French, my French name was Marie-Estelle. I was the only one in class with a "Marie-" name smile

In my Spanish class, we don't have the "foreign name" thing, but I'd probably just choose Emilia so that people would know how to pronounce my name (for once)!  

RobotQT1

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces