Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
What's your Favorite Activity / Event at a Convention Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jksmwla

9,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:09 pm
Cariella
Jksmwla
Cariella
The Artist Alley and Gatherings are my favorites. And I always look forward to photoshoots if I have any.

What's a Gathering? I can't tell if the convention I go to doesn't have one or if we call it something else.

A gathering is where people dressed up from the same series gather in one place and take group photos. There are usually run by a con-goer, and are not an official part of any convention.

Thank you. We have those but I've never heard them called that. I've been in a pokemon one before.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:38 pm
Cariella
Jksmwla
Cariella
The Artist Alley and Gatherings are my favorites. And I always look forward to photoshoots if I have any.

What's a Gathering? I can't tell if the convention I go to doesn't have one or if we call it something else.

A gathering is where people dressed up from the same series gather in one place and take group photos. There are usually run by a con-goer, and are not an official part of any convention.

A gathering sounds cool. smile I saw a gathering once of Sailor Moon Cosplayers doing a photoshoot. It was in a remote area so they wouldn't be disturbed. It would be nice to join in on a gathering of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles Cosplayers. It's hard to find other Cosplayers from the same series though.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:21 pm
smithers456

Usually on the convention forums they have a listing for the time/place of gatherings, so you look for the series that you're cosplaying from and see when it is.
And I know at Fanime they have signs that list all the gatherings that were listed on the forums.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:35 pm
Cariella
smithers456

Usually on the convention forums they have a listing for the time/place of gatherings, so you look for the series that you're cosplaying from and see when it is.
And I know at Fanime they have signs that list all the gatherings that were listed on the forums.

Thanks for the Info. I will check out the Youmacon Forums to look for a list of "gatherings". That's the con that I'm going to next.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:16 pm
I have a new Favorite thing to do at Anime / Cosplay cons. I really like taking people to cons who have never been to one before. At the upcoming Youmacon 2012 con in Detroit Michigan (Nov 1st - 4th) I'm taking 4 newbies to the con. I'm excited to find out what they think of the experience.

Here is a new question. What was the first thing that made you interested in going to cons? For me the first thing was taking pics of Cosplayers.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:17 am
I like the concerts! Sakura Con always gets the best J-Rock! heart
I also just love shopping for Anime Merch! Especially when there's lots of Manga booths! It's my weakness. sweatdrop

Bermese

Dedicated Fatcat

11,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Wall Street 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:22 pm
Bermese
I also just love shopping for Anime Merch! Especially when there's lots of Manga booths! It's my weakness. sweatdrop

Call me unenlightened, what is J-Rock? Is it Japanese Rock and do groups sing the songs or is the music just played at events at the con?
Shopping, shopping, shopping!!! Stuff, Stuff, Stuff, yeah. smile
I prefer buying Anime DVD collections over Manga books. I do Love going to the Artist Alley's to buy original fan art!!  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:50 pm
smithers456
Bermese

Call me unenlightened, what is J-Rock? Is it Japanese Rock and do groups sing the songs or is the music just played at events at the con?
Shopping, shopping, shopping!!! Stuff, Stuff, Stuff, yeah. smile
I prefer buying Anime DVD collections over Manga books. I do Love going to the Artist Alley's to buy original fan art!!

J-Rock is Japanese Rock. Sakura Con is able to get the groups to come and perform.  

Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:08 pm
I like karaoke! It's ALWAYS in the noise room at Sugoicon. When they don't have karaoke going on, there's usually random anime opening/ending themes playing in that room and people dance around to the songs. We successfully got everyone to do the Lucky Star dance.

Yep so when I'm at cons, I head straight for the noise room to sing and dance. :3  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:11 pm
I'm not crazy about karaoke! I do like the random songs that I hear at various places at cons. At Jafax 16 (2011) someone had a "Boombox" and it was playing Japanese songs all day. Their were Cosplayers dancing to the music all day long. It was really cool.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

ChocoboxDreamer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:57 am
Cosplay contest
Taking pictures of cosplayers
Cosplaying in general
Hanging out with friends  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:29 pm
ChocoboxDreamer
Cosplay contest
Cosplaying in general
Hanging out with friends

Have you ever entered a Cosplay contest and if so how did you do? As for taking pics of Cosplayers I'm getting better all of the time. You can check out my photos on DeviantArt. My user ID is the same as this one, Smithers456. smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

ChocoboxDreamer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:30 pm
smithers456
ChocoboxDreamer
Cosplay contest
Cosplaying in general
Hanging out with friends

Have you ever entered a Cosplay contest and if so how did you do? As for taking pics of Cosplayers I'm getting better all of the time. You can check out my photos on DeviantArt. My user ID is the same as this one, Smithers456. smile

Yes I have entered a cosplay contest before. Doing so varies from con to con, but there is usually some sort of sign-up sheet that you can fill out on most of Friday and some of Saturday. But again, it can be different; some cons have it on Saturday and others on Sunday. (The one that I entered was on Sunday) But you usually need to provide a reference picture and there will be a judging beforehand. (The judges will ask how you made the costume, what materials you used, etc.)  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:42 pm
ChocoboxDreamer
smithers456
ChocoboxDreamer
Cosplay contest
Cosplaying in general
Hanging out with friends

Yes I have entered a cosplay contest before. Doing so varies from con to con, but there is usually some sort of sign-up sheet that you can fill out on most of Friday and some of Saturday. But again, it can be different; some cons have it on Saturday and others on Sunday. (The one that I entered was on Sunday) But you usually need to provide a reference picture and there will be a judging beforehand. (The judges will ask how you made the costume, what materials you used, etc.)

Some of my "Cosplay" friends have entered Cosplay contests before and are moving up in the ranks. smile I've noticed that most Cosplayers that enter the contests are really good at costume making. I imagine that you are as well. Good luck in your future contests. What Cosplay character outfits have you entered in the contests?  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

tattahitotsuyakusoku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:39 pm
My favorite things to do at a con... definitely the dealer's room & artist alley. I also like watching the masquerade contest. Concerts are fun too.
& that moment when a convention inside joke is created.  
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff