delbosque

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:34 pm
Zana Bonanza
I've always wanted to do a mafia game, but I'm not exactly 100% sure how they work. >>;

This would be fun.
I have played them before, there are several variations...
I'd have to think it over to figure out which variation of rules would work best for a guild-forum-posting kind of setting, but we totally could make it work if enough people wanted to play. 3nodding

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:35 pm
systemfailure99
What if...we had a roleplay or something of the like? I always figured the D-Party would have defining roles for some of their most prominent figures and they would exercise/display that through a series of made up but possibly true adventures they would have with Diedrich. Different scenarios based on different events happening on Gaia maybe?

Oh hoho.
This would be fun.
I like it.

delbosque

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150

LeviathanRX

Loyal Bunny

16,275 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:57 pm
delbosque
systemfailure99
What if...we had a roleplay or something of the like? I always figured the D-Party would have defining roles for some of their most prominent figures and they would exercise/display that through a series of made up but possibly true adventures they would have with Diedrich. Different scenarios based on different events happening on Gaia maybe?

Oh hoho.
This would be fun.
I like it.

I shall bring cake!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:18 am
delbosque
Zana Bonanza
I've always wanted to do a mafia game, but I'm not exactly 100% sure how they work. >>;

This would be fun.
I'd have to think it over to figure out which variation of rules would work best for a guild-forum-posting kind of setting, but we totally could make it work if enough people wanted to play. 3nodding

Another forum I frequent plays them a lot, but they're almost always some crazy variation that I have trouble following. sweatdrop But it seems like fun~  

Zana Bonanza

Crew

Team Diedrich

delbosque

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:21 pm
LeviathanRX
delbosque
systemfailure99

Oh hoho.
This would be fun.
I like it.

I shall bring cake!

Cupcake? yum_cupcake  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:02 pm
Zana Bonanza
delbosque
Zana Bonanza

This would be fun.

Another forum I frequent plays them a lot, but they're almost always some crazy variation that I have trouble following. sweatdrop But it seems like fun~

I think it's a really fun game, I like it a lot. Even when I die right off and I'm just watching, or whatever. XD

Even IRL, I have played versions where there were a lot of people and complex rules and half the players would get confused because of it.
I think that in most cases, the simple versions are the best ones, and translating into a forum thread like this would really work best with the simplest kind.

Well, if you've seen or tried to either play or follow along before, then I can sort of walk you through how I think would work well to translate it into a forum like this. (I have not played or seen it played online, but I personally don't care how other people have done it before, especially if the ways they tried to do it didn't work out very well. I'd rather come up with a version that will work well, regardless of how similar or different it might be to how they play)

First let me sum up how the most basic version works IRL:

You have a group of people, and they are all designated as citizens of a town.
Depending on how many people you have in the town in total, you assign some to be mafia and some to be police/cops. Normal minimum is 2 of each type, with 6 people minimum playing the game (not counting the person who is moderating). You usually want the cops and mafia to be a smallish portion, like if you have ten people in total, you can have three of each and four townspeople who are neither and are just plain citizens. You don't want the number of either police or mafia to be larger than the number of people who are neither. If any group outnumbers the others, it should be the regular citizens. In an IRL game, you figure up how many of each, write up "citizen", "police", or "mafia" on pieces of paper, put them in a hat or bowl, and the person officiating ( the "mayor" ) takes it around and has everyone draw one. So everyone gets a paper, no one knows who gets what, and it's random.

Next, after everyone's seen what they personally are without showing anyone else, the "mayor" declares it's nighttime and everyone goes to "sleep" (puts their heads down, no peeking) and says that only the mafia can look up. The mafia get to look up, all see who each other are so they know, and the mayor sees who they are and makes sure that the number of mafia is the number there's supposed to be, etc. They all (silently) with nods and pointing look around and get to choose someone to kill that night. They have to all agree on it. The mayor makes note of who is going to die, and tells them to put their heads back down.

Next, the mayor asks the police to look up. Same thing here. They get to see who each other are, the mayor also sees who they are and makes sure there's the right number of them, and then the police (with nodding and pointing and such, silently) get to choose one person in the group to investigate. When they have come to agreement about who they are asking about, the mayor either nods if the person the police picked is a mafia, or shakes their head if the person is not mafia (aka, just an ordinary citizen). The mayor tells them to put their heads back down again.

The mayor declares it to be morning! They describe (with however much detail they can imagine up if they want to embellish) who died in the nighttime and how they died. It is obviously MURDER. The entire town is outraged, and demands justice. (btw, the dead person gets to tell everyone if they were a cop or a citizen but afterwards... the dead cannot talk, they don't get to say who they thought it was, especially/even if it was a cop who might have found out one of the mafia so they have to sit out the rest of the game... IRL, this means they get to watch both the cops and mafia when everyone else has to have their heads down)

Now it is time for everyone to talk it over. The townspeople do NOT know who the police are unless the police tell them, but it is dangerous for them to do so because that makes them easy mafia targets for the next night. Regular townspeople can claim to be police, but that's the same danger. Either can claim to be mafia, but the real mafia know who they are and anyone claiming to be mafia is in danger of being executed by the townspeople. Most often, everyone in the town tries their best to convince everyone else that they are just town citizens because it is safest. The mafia will try to kill the police first if they find them out, and the police and town will try to execute the mafia.

So, everyone discusses a bit and tries to convince everyone else why they should blame whoever for the murder. If the police did find out who one of the mafia are, this is where they try to convince the people that they are mafia without revealing their own identity as a cop.

The townspeople nominate each other as murder suspects, and there must be a second to each nomination (unless you get down to only two people left, which is very rare) and then once you have at least two nominations, everyone votes for who they think is most likely a killer. Whoever gets the most votes is executed in the name of justice. As they die, they are allowed to say who they really were, if they were a cop or mafia or whatever. People who are counting, can use this to help figure out how many of each category are left in the game.

You repeat the process until either all the mafia are executed, or until the mafia kill off everyone else and take over completely. If the police are all killed, the townspeople still have a chance to win if they can figure out who is mafia, but of course it's easier if there's still at least one cop left.

Although I don't think it's good to over-complicate the game much, I think it's okay to sometimes have two people (only two, no matter how many other people of the other types there are, but minimum if you have at least 12 total players and only make 3 be mafia and 3 be cops unless there's more than 12 total people) designated as "paramedics" who basically have a chance to save murder victims... after the mafia and cops have had their choices, the paramedics get to pick one person they would save the life of... and if they chose wisely and happened to randomly (or intuitively) pick the person who the mafia also picked, then in the morning the mayor will say that the person who almost died was luckily saved by the paramedics and will manage to recover (as long as they don't have another future attempt on their life that they don't get saved from, haha). But I don't recommend playing that version unless with people who already are comfortable with the way the game works and who don't mind an extra twist. Anything more complicated that that, I think is generally a bit much.

SO.
I hope that walkthrough of the way the game goes IRL made sense and wasn't too hard to follow.

Here's how I think would work well to translate it into a gaia format:

You have a thread for people to talk things over in as citizens of the town, where people will accuse/nominate each other and vote on who to execute. And of course the minimum of 6 people to play, and one person to moderate. Once you have people who have signed up to play, the mayor takes their names and uses random-ness to assign roles. (dice, random number generating on gaia, or slips of paper, whatever) After you have people signed up and roles assigned, but before the first person is executed, if more people ask to play you could let them, but tell them they have to be just townspeople. (if you want to, but you could easily tell them sorry but no it's too late)

The mayor sends everyone a PM, telling them what they are for the mafia game. (I do think it'd work best with everyone allowing PMs, I wouldn't want to play it using, say, whitetext in the thread for secret stuff because it's just too tempting for everyone to read)

In the PM the mayor sends out, if the person is a cop or a mafia, the mayor would also tell them who their fellow cops or fellow mafia are. (skip a step to simplify things) The two groups can either exchange PMs, or set up a group chat or whatever they want to discuss things amongst themselves. Signing up to play the game, people either have to be willing to do this, OR you can tell everyone they have an option of telling the mayor they request to be just a citizen because they want to play the game but don't want to bother with the other stuff. If you give people this option, I recommend you have people PM their request to the mayor, instead of posting it in a recruitment/discussion thread, because even if they know in advance that they are going to be a citizen, it's more fun if everyone else doesn't know that for certain.

Of course, citizens could also PM other citizens (or others who they think are just citizens), and discuss the game with them... that would be like people in an IRL game whispering to the person next to them about their suspicions that they aren't certain if they want everyone in the group to hear just yet, that sort of thing.

Anyway... In the discussion thread you'd basically have the mayor post when it's "daytime" and when it's "nighttime" and when it's night means that the mayor is accepting PMs from the cops and mafia people about who they want to either kill or investigate, and when it's daytime the people can be nominating who they want to vote on to execute. At the end of each "day" you have the actual vote and execution and find out who's been executed, and at the end of every "night", the mayor will let everyone know who has been killed by the mafia (and also will PM the cops about the results of their investigation of whether the person they asked about is a mafia person or just a citizen). I'd say each "day" and "night" should last a couple of IRL days to give busy people time to discuss and PM each other and such. If it seemed like it wasn't enough time, it could be extended another day or two.

But in a discussion thread, since you don't have to have people actually putting their heads down and stuff, you could allow people to chat and discuss their suspicions regardless of whether it's day or night, and they can even play around with a little roleplaying if they want to, goof off or something. But nominations and seconding for who to execute would only be accepted in the daytime, AFTER everyone has found out who the murder victim was.

If you want to play this and be one of the townspeople participating in the action, I'll volunteer to moderate and be mayor for you, but I really don't want to do the recruiting and getting people to sign up to play. I've got a bunch of other things I'm trying to do, and I'm generally bad at recruitment anyway... but I have been told I do a decent job of organizing and moderating-type things; and for me, it's actually about as much fun as playing one of the other roles.

delbosque

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150

systemfailure99

Crew

Toxic Benefactor

14,200 Points
  • Married 100
  • Party Member 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:36 pm
delbosque
systemfailure99

Oh hoho.
This would be fun.
I like it.

It would be about our adventures with Diedrich!
...and pretty much any random thing we can think of  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:22 pm
systemfailure99
delbosque
systemfailure99

Oh hoho.
This would be fun.
I like it.

It would be about our adventures with Diedrich!
...and pretty much any random thing we can think of

Random is goooooooooooood.  

delbosque

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Zana Bonanza

Crew

Team Diedrich

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:40 pm
delbosque

Ah, thank you so much for the breakdown! I get the gist of it, I think. The ones I've seen online are usually more complicated, with nearly everyone having special roles and things they can do at night, etc. Fun but probably too much for me to join in without any experience. We should definitely start out simple, and if it goes well and people wanna play again, then maybe we could branch out.

I'll see if anyone's interested, and I'll set everything up if we get enough. I'm willing to moderate too, but if you can do it, that would be great!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:57 pm
Zana Bonanza

Ah, thank you so much for the breakdown! I get the gist of it, I think. The ones I've seen online are usually more complicated, with nearly everyone having special roles and things they can do at night, etc. Fun but probably too much for me to join in without any experience. We should definitely start out simple, and if it goes well and people wanna play again, then maybe we could branch out.

I'll see if anyone's interested, and I'll set everything up if we get enough. I'm willing to moderate too, but if you can do it, that would be great!

Here's me tipping your post to say that sounds all fine to me!  

delbosque

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Dyed Zinc
Crew

Toxic Contributor

6,650 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:14 am
I completely forgot about the mafia idea. It sounds good to me!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:58 pm
Dyed Zinc

And I have some experience playing it now too! There's a site called epicmafia where you play in real time in a chat-like setting. It's super addicting.

Playing it here would be kinda hard, though. The biggest issue, aside from getting enough people and them being active, is where the mafia would talk to each other. (The other forum I saw do this had a option to make private threads, which Gaia does not.) Doing it through PMs seems kinda cumbersome, but I also don't expect everyone will be on at the same time to do a chat thing.  

Zana Bonanza

Crew

Team Diedrich

Dyed Zinc
Crew

Toxic Contributor

6,650 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:08 am
Zana Bonanza
Dyed Zinc

And I have some experience playing it now too! There's a site called epicmafia where you play in real time in a chat-like setting. It's super addicting.

Playing it here would be kinda hard, though. The biggest issue, aside from getting enough people and them being active, is where the mafia would talk to each other. (The other forum I saw do this had a option to make private threads, which Gaia does not.) Doing it through PMs seems kinda cumbersome, but I also don't expect everyone will be on at the same time to do a chat thing.
ah true, at least you looked into it and made your analysis! I'm surprised that Gaia hasn't made private threads yet but who knows when that will be?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:29 pm
There's supposed to be a site chat function in the works, but who knows when that will be released.  

Zana Bonanza

Crew

Team Diedrich

Hassli
Captain

Dedicated Diedrich

26,600 Points
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:59 am
Zana Bonanza
There's supposed to be a site chat function in the works, but who knows when that will be released.
It would be cool if we could do guild chats!!!!!  
The D-Party

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff