Welcome to Gaia! ::

Old Geezers of Gaia Unite

Back to Guilds

A group for the young and old of Gaia to reminisce and hang out. 

Tags: Gaia Online, Geezers, Nostalgia, Discussion, Old Members 

Reply Old Geezers of Gaia Unite
You remember? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WyndiWingfall

Green Lantern

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:53 pm
sailorstar165
WyndiWingfall
Heart Shaped Toastie
I used to love theaters! Back when they had all the ancient PSA videos like Duck & Cover, the one with the gorillas on bicycles, and even an ancient black & white Dawn of the Dead. It was legendary.

I also miss engraving items! Had a couple of engraved necklaces back when it cost 1k to engrave an item and I actually had to quest for that much gold.
whee

Also, the link list! The sole reason I even FOUND Gaia was that glorious link list filled with delicious anime and manga! I spent hours perusing that goldmine.

However, I do NOT miss personals. At all. Ever. Whoever thought that putting personal ads on Gaia was a good idea must've been high!

Wait, there were personal ads on Gaia? When was this?! lol

Before 2005, (when I joined) lol

That's what that building in Barton that says "love" on top is. A lot of people abused the ToS in there with cybering and such.

Heart Shaped Toastie
WyndiWingfall
Heart Shaped Toastie
I used to love theaters! Back when they had all the ancient PSA videos like Duck & Cover, the one with the gorillas on bicycles, and even an ancient black & white Dawn of the Dead. It was legendary.

I also miss engraving items! Had a couple of engraved necklaces back when it cost 1k to engrave an item and I actually had to quest for that much gold.
whee

Also, the link list! The sole reason I even FOUND Gaia was that glorious link list filled with delicious anime and manga! I spent hours perusing that goldmine.

However, I do NOT miss personals. At all. Ever. Whoever thought that putting personal ads on Gaia was a good idea must've been high!

It was awful. I think it was originally meant as an easy way to find someone to trade/chat with, but yea it ended up being full of cyber requests and 13/f/ur mom ads. It didn't help that it was free to post on, so tons of people abused the system because there were no consequences.

...why did the staff not see this coming. otl  
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:51 pm
WyndiWingfall
sailorstar165
WyndiWingfall
Heart Shaped Toastie

whee

That's what that building in Barton that says "love" on top is. A lot of people abused the ToS in there with cybering and such.

Heart Shaped Toastie
WyndiWingfall
Heart Shaped Toastie

whee

It was awful. I think it was originally meant as an easy way to find someone to trade/chat with, but yea it ended up being full of cyber requests and 13/f/ur mom ads. It didn't help that it was free to post on, so tons of people abused the system because there were no consequences.

Well you have to remember, this was back when the internet was young. People weren't as jaded to the gross creeps and trolls as they are now.  

heart shaped toastie

Fashionable Lunatic

12,300 Points
  • Generous 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Steel Sterling

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:14 am
It was fun to visit promos there.
I would have done more there, but I was actually on DIAL-UP much of the
time we had that feature here, so I couldn't watch movies with a friend.  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:31 am
Heart Shaped Toastie
WyndiWingfall
sailorstar165
WyndiWingfall
Heart Shaped Toastie

whee

Heart Shaped Toastie
WyndiWingfall
Heart Shaped Toastie

whee

Well you have to remember, this was back when the internet was young. People weren't as jaded to the gross creeps and trolls as they are now.

There was a time like that? It's been so long, I think I've forgotten it. gonk  

sailorstar165
Captain

Kawaii Bibliophile

26,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Fluff Rehab 200
  • Magical Girl 50

WyndiWingfall

Green Lantern

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:25 am
sailorstar165
Heart Shaped Toastie
WyndiWingfall
sailorstar165
WyndiWingfall

Heart Shaped Toastie
WyndiWingfall

SAME. What do you mean, the creeps haven't been around since day one? otl  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:27 am
WyndiWingfall
sailorstar165
Heart Shaped Toastie
WyndiWingfall
sailorstar165

Heart Shaped Toastie

Well there were less creeps, and they weren't quite AS creepy as they are now...  

heart shaped toastie

Fashionable Lunatic

12,300 Points
  • Generous 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

cutereader86

Super Giver

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:33 pm
IT'S SAD, when something goes ... then we realise how much we missed it.I took the movie theatres on Gaia for granted and now they are gone...* is speaking melodramatically*  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:29 pm
Sailor Donut
IT'S SAD, when something goes ... then we realise how much we missed it.I took the movie theatres on Gaia for granted and now they are gone...* is speaking melodramatically*

Same. I wish I had appreciated them more at the time. I tended to ignore them and do other things on Gaia while the movie played so I could get the item.

I wish I had thrown more popcorn and used more laser pointers.  

sailorstar165
Captain

Kawaii Bibliophile

26,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Fluff Rehab 200
  • Magical Girl 50

cutereader86

Super Giver

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:30 pm
same here.  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:30 pm
I miss it, but honestly I couldn't have made much better use of it since my Internet back then was terrible (i.e. slow enough that even the trailers would lag and I'd have to let them buffer). Actually, my terrible Internet was why I never got into any parts of Gaia aside from the forums....Tried loading Towns once and my computer just froze.  

WyndiWingfall

Green Lantern

The Pocket Sized Ninja

Man-Hungry Sex Symbol

10,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:58 am
I miss the no gaia cash days. ugh. the announcements are super annoying too. buy cash! its on sale! buy this! buy that! ughhhh  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:20 pm
The Pocket Sized Ninja
I miss the no gaia cash days. ugh. the announcements are super annoying too. buy cash! its on sale! buy this! buy that! ughhhh

ugh, I know, right? And it's not like the discounts on Cash are even that spectacular. 2% discount? WOW. SO AMAZING. WE LIVE IN AWE OF YOUR GENEROSITY, GAIA.  

WyndiWingfall

Green Lantern

Steel Sterling

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:15 am
Heart Shaped Toastie
WyndiWingfall
sailorstar165
Heart Shaped Toastie
WyndiWingfall

Well there were less creeps, and they weren't quite AS creepy as they are now...

Actually, I made a friend through that. Nothing radical, just a friend. We were
in touch for several years.

Go-Gaia was probably a LOT smaller than a lot of you imagine.
When I heard of it (2003), it was through a full-page advertisement in a comic-book
by Udon, one of 2 tiny comics companies partnering-and for whom there
were sub-fora. (The other was XD Comics.) That evening, when I tried to sign up, I was able to design an
avatar, but unable to get in due to heavy traffic. I expect that attendance
multiplied that month. It took several months before Go-Gaia's servers were
upgraded enough to make it reliable to post and browse unless it was in
the dead of night. Since I worked overnight, this was not the problem for
me that it was for many people. smile  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:18 am
The Pocket Sized Ninja

I wouldn't mind A FEW of those. However, now I'm used to skimming the
announcements and looking for the link to La Victoire, and immediately
clicking to the next one once I find it, no need to read it. I only read maybe
5% of announcements nowadays, since most days there are multiple
announcements, and most days, ALL of them are commercials.  

Steel Sterling

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Team Jacob 100

sailorstar165
Captain

Kawaii Bibliophile

26,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Fluff Rehab 200
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:13 am
Anyone remember the playlist thing they implemented near the end of theaters?

They made it look like the most awesome home entertainment center ever, with snacks on a table and a huge big-screen TV. You could put in a bunch of Youtube videos and invite your friends to watch them with you?  
Old Geezers of Gaia Unite

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff