Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Getting To Know You
Hobbies Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:04 pm
iBundles Dabs
smithers456
iBundles Dabs
My hobbies include:
Sewing
cooking
learning korean and how to write in Hangul
reading Mangas i have over 900 that im reading and currently up to date because of corona
beading
watching anime
drawing anime
drawing onto shoes or painting
i love to go thrifting and turn clothes into other things
i love doing hair (washing it, clipping ends, i want to learn how to color hair but right now i use the hair wax lol, braid, twist, add in hair, i think thats about it.
i love writing stories sometimes
i love helping out in jacksonville community when it comes to the homeless... Even though i don have much money noww...but i would always get some dry food or canned items with some water for them..

Helping out the Homeless is a noble activity. Some of the hobbies that you have could help you create Cosplay Outfits in the future. Going to thrift shops. Many people find cheap items to alter into parts of or entire outfits. Having knowledge of actual hairstyling can turn into wig styling. Watching Anime and drawing Anime can inspire you to pick a character that you Love to turn into a Cosplay outfit. I watch Anime to see what personalities and poses that they do which helps me in photography. It can help you know how to Role Play your charcter at a convention. Also many cosplayers note from watching Anime what common poses to use if they are having their photo taken. All of this is something to think about.

wow i never thought about it like that honestly whee BTW how long have you been doing photography and Cosplaying

Being on this Guild has taught me how to look at things differently. We have some very talented people in the Guild who have been creating Cosplay outfits for a long time.

Photography is one of my major hobbies / interests and I have been taking photos since my early teens, One of my Uncles is my inspiration for photography. He is an Architect and has taken thousands of photos for his different projects over the years. I get my eye for detail from him.

I have been doing Cosplay Photography and Cosplay itself since 2009. My birthday happens to be on Halloween so I have always had an interest in wearing costumes. I took my camera to my first convention "Youmacon 2009" in Dearborn, MI. At that convention I was in awe of all of the people wearing Costumes of characters from different Anime that I have watched, I wore a Star Trek uniform that I had and was very surprised when a lot of people wanted to take photos of me. Not use to being on the other side of the camera I was shy at first. Then later on I started to make deals. They could take photos of me as long as I could take photos of them.

Later on I discovered that the people wearing the costumes were called cosplayers. So on the same day I became both a cosplayer and a cosplay photographer. Make sure to check out my Instagram page often to see photos that I have taken of cosplayers.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:25 am
blaugh blaugh
smithers456
iBundles Dabs
smithers456
iBundles Dabs
My hobbies include:
Sewing
cooking
learning korean and how to write in Hangul
reading Mangas i have over 900 that im reading and currently up to date because of corona
beading
watching anime
drawing anime
drawing onto shoes or painting
i love to go thrifting and turn clothes into other things
i love doing hair (washing it, clipping ends, i want to learn how to color hair but right now i use the hair wax lol, braid, twist, add in hair, i think thats about it.
i love writing stories sometimes
i love helping out in jacksonville community when it comes to the homeless... Even though i don have much money noww...but i would always get some dry food or canned items with some water for them..

Helping out the Homeless is a noble activity. Some of the hobbies that you have could help you create Cosplay Outfits in the future. Going to thrift shops. Many people find cheap items to alter into parts of or entire outfits. Having knowledge of actual hairstyling can turn into wig styling. Watching Anime and drawing Anime can inspire you to pick a character that you Love to turn into a Cosplay outfit. I watch Anime to see what personalities and poses that they do which helps me in photography. It can help you know how to Role Play your charcter at a convention. Also many cosplayers note from watching Anime what common poses to use if they are having their photo taken. All of this is something to think about.

wow i never thought about it like that honestly whee BTW how long have you been doing photography and Cosplaying

Being on this Guild has taught me how to look at things differently. We have some very talented people in the Guild who have been creating Cosplay outfits for a long time.

Photography is one of my major hobbies / interests and I have been taking photos since my early teens, One of my Uncles is my inspiration for photography. He is an Architect and has taken thousands of photos for his different projects over the years. I get my eye for detail from him.

I have been doing Cosplay Photography and Cosplay itself since 2009. My birthday happens to be on Halloween so I have always had an interest in wearing costumes. I took my camera to my first convention "Youmacon 2009" in Dearborn, MI. At that convention I was in awe of all of the people wearing Costumes of characters from different Anime that I have watched, I wore a Star Trek uniform that I had and was very surprised when a lot of people wanted to take photos of me. Not use to being on the other side of the camera I was shy at first. Then later on I started to make deals. They could take photos of me as long as I could take photos of them.

Later on I discovered that the people wearing the costumes were called cosplayers. So on the same day I became both a cosplayer and a cosplay photographer. Make sure to check out my Instagram page often to see photos that I have taken of cosplayers.

omfg that is so amazinggggg...... I want to get into photography honestly i just think it is so amazing lol especially all the different ways you can take a picture... blaugh and its crazy because its always unique each and every picture in my opinion  

iBundles Dabs
Crew

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:48 pm
smithers456

iBundles Dabs

omfg that is so amazinggggg...... I want to get into photography honestly i just think it is so amazing lol especially all the different ways you can take a picture... blaugh and its crazy because its always unique each and every picture in my opinion

Before 2009 I didn't take photos of people except for family gatherings. I mostly took photos of scenes outside like woods, lakes, historic sites, and vacations. Back in the 70's and 80's I experimented by taking lots of photos of the same thing. Until I got use to it I often got my finger or thumb in the photo. Back then we had film cameras. I had to take a roll of film into a drug store to get the photos developed. It would take either an hour or overnight. No instantaneous images back then. Today I swear by using digital / regular cameras. I feel they are better than using your cell phone. If you start taking photos even if it's from a cell phone the word is practice, practice, practice. Believe it or not the photos that I took at my first convention in 2009 were taken with my Film Camera. The first photo that I posted on Instagram was from that convention. I changed over to a digital camera the next year.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:57 am
smithers456
smithers456

iBundles Dabs

Before 2009 I didn't take photos of people except for family gatherings. I mostly took photos of scenes outside like woods, lakes, historic sites, and vacations. Back in the 70's and 80's I experimented by taking lots of photos of the same thing. Until I got use to it I often got my finger or thumb in the photo. Back then we had film cameras. I had to take a roll of film into a drug store to get the photos developed. It would take either an hour or overnight. No instantaneous images back then. Today I swear by using digital / regular cameras. I feel they are better than using your cell phone. If you start taking photos even if it's from a cell phone the word is practice, practice, practice. Believe it or not the photos that I took at my first convention in 2009 were taken with my Film Camera. The first photo that I posted on Instagram was from that convention. I changed over to a digital camera the next year.

That is Amazing omfg.....that you actually had that much patience to want to do things like that....but i will definetly practice....sorry i been away for a little bit i have been dealing with the food truck and i actually had a couple break downs pertaining to my father....ever since he passed away literally everything reminds me of him....but ii am getting better though.  

iBundles Dabs
Crew

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:40 pm
iBundles Dabs

smithers456

iBundles Dabs
That is Amazing omfg.....that you actually had that much patience to want to do things like that....but i will definetly practice

Patience is the key to great photography. I'm a Semi Professional Cosplay Photographer. Basically what that means is that I have the eye for photography but I do it for fun at Conventions!! I don't have the money for the equipment to be a professional but I do Love to see the professionals in action. In my opinion a person loses something by becoming a professional. I will walk through a convention looking for Cosplayers who I want to take a photo of and I'm often in a cosplay outfit as well. You should see the smiles in the photos that I take because they know that I'm doing it for fun. You do have to give my brother credit at conventions for his patience because he has to wait while I take the photos. As for film photography back in the 70's, 80's, and even 90's we didn't know about digital photography so the wait to get photos developed was considered normal.

Check out the Cosplay Photography 101 thread in the Photo Section Sub Forum to find out more.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:58 am
smithers456
iBundles Dabs

smithers456

iBundles Dabs
That is Amazing omfg.....that you actually had that much patience to want to do things like that....but i will definetly practice

Patience is the key to great photography. I'm a Semi Professional Cosplay Photographer. Basically what that means is that I have the eye for photography but I do it for fun at Conventions!! I don't have the money for the equipment to be a professional but I do Love to see the professionals in action. In my opinion a person loses something by becoming a professional. I will walk through a convention looking for Cosplayers who I want to take a photo of and I'm often in a cosplay outfit as well. You should see the smiles in the photos that I take because they know that I'm doing it for fun. You do have to give my brother credit at conventions for his patience because he has to wait while I take the photos. As for film photography back in the 70's, 80's, and even 90's we didn't know about digital photography so the wait to get photos developed was considered normal.

Check out the Cosplay Photography 101 thread in the Photo Section Sub Forum to find out more.

most definitly butttt iiii doooo wanttt to know out of allllllll the conventions you have been to what was your favorite lol  

iBundles Dabs
Crew

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:37 am
iBundles Dabs

most definitly butttt iiii doooo wanttt to know out of allllllll the conventions you have been to what was your favorite lol

Here is a list of the Conventions that I have been to so far:

Past Convention List: (All in Michigan)

1. Youmacon 2009 (Oct 30th, 2009)
2. Youmacon 2010 (Oct 30th, 2010)
3. Jafax 16 (June 26th, 2011)
4. Youmacon 2011 (Nov 5th, 2011)
5. Jafax 17 (June 23rd, 2012)
6. Youmacon 2012 (Nov 3rd, 2012)
7. Shutocon 2013 (April 6th, 2013)
8. Jafax 18 (June 22nd, 2013)
9. Youmacon 2013 (Nov 2nd, 2013)
10. Shutocon 2014 (April 5th, 2014)
11. Youmacon 2014 (Nov 1st, 2014)
12. Youmacon 2015 (Oct 31st, 2015)
13. Youmacon 2016 (Nov 6th, 2014)
14. Youmacon 2017 (Nov 4th, 2014)
15. Youmacon 2018 (Nov 3rd, 2018 )
16. Youmacon 2019 (Nov 2nd, 2019)

Youmacon is in Detroit, MI, Jafax is in Grand River, MI, and Shutocon is in Lansing,MI

It's hard to pick just one convention as my favorite because each one is special for different reasons. The one that stands out the most is Jafax 18. It was at Grand Valley State University. It has a beautiful campus at Allendale, Mi which is West of Grand River.

Jafax 18 was at this beautiful campus that has stairs, fountains, cool buildings, bridges, and lots of woods. I had a formal photo shoot with this really nice cosplayer. She was wearing her Leafa Cosplay Outfit which is from the Sword Art Online series, For an hour I took over a hundred photos and had a crowd of over 20 people behind me watching. With a lot of locations on campus to work with we had a lot of fun. For a photo shoot I research the character ahead of time to come up with some poses.

People seem to know when a photographer is at work. They have to stop and look. I smile every time. Unlike Professional Cosplay Photographers I don't charge for photo shoots. Some people came up to me and asked if they could take a photo too and I told them their was no problem.

At one point a professional Cosplay photographer showed up at my first photo location. I stood next to him and watched him use all of those fancy photo equipment. He was doing a photo shoot of a couple different cosplayers and had no problem with me taking a couple of photos. You can find one of the photos from the photoshoot that I took that day on my Instagram page. Just look for the cosplayer sitting down in the woods. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:56 am
smithers456
iBundles Dabs

Here is a list of the Conventions that I have been to so far:

Past Convention List: (All in Michigan)

1. Youmacon 2009 (Oct 30th, 2009)
2. Youmacon 2010 (Oct 30th, 2010)
3. Jafax 16 (June 26th, 2011)
4. Youmacon 2011 (Nov 5th, 2011)
5. Jafax 17 (June 23rd, 2012)
6. Youmacon 2012 (Nov 3rd, 2012)
7. Shutocon 2013 (April 6th, 2013)
8. Jafax 18 (June 22nd, 2013)
9. Youmacon 2013 (Nov 2nd, 2013)
10. Shutocon 2014 (April 5th, 2014)
11. Youmacon 2014 (Nov 1st, 2014)
12. Youmacon 2015 (Oct 31st, 2015)
13. Youmacon 2016 (Nov 6th, 2014)
14. Youmacon 2017 (Nov 4th, 2014)
15. Youmacon 2018 (Nov 3rd, 2018 )
16. Youmacon 2019 (Nov 2nd, 2019)

Youmacon is in Detroit, MI, Jafax is in Grand River, MI, and Shutocon is in Lansing,MI

It's hard to pick just one convention as my favorite because each one is special for different reasons. The one that stands out the most is Jafax 18. It was at Grand Valley State University. It has a beautiful campus at Allendale, Mi which is West of Grand River.

Jafax 18 was at this beautiful campus that has stairs, fountains, cool buildings, bridges, and lots of woods. I had a formal photo shoot with this really nice cosplayer. She was wearing her Leafa Cosplay Outfit which is from the Sword Art Online series, For an hour I took over a hundred photos and had a crowd of over 20 people behind me watching. With a lot of locations on campus to work with we had a lot of fun. For a photo shoot I research the character ahead of time to come up with some poses.

People seem to know when a photographer is at work. They have to stop and look. I smile every time. Unlike Professional Cosplay Photographers I don't charge for photo shoots. Some people came up to me and asked if they could take a photo too and I told them their was no problem.

At one point a professional Cosplay photographer showed up at my first photo location. I stood next to him and watched him use all of those fancy photo equipment. He was doing a photo shoot of a couple different cosplayers and had no problem with me taking a couple of photos. You can find one of the photos from the photoshoot that I took that day on my Instagram page. Just look for the cosplayer sitting down in the woods. smile

im just in awe seriously like im soooo excited to actually go to my first one honestly idek who i would go as because i like sooo many characters lol  

iBundles Dabs
Crew

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:02 pm
iBundles Dabs

im just in awe seriously like im soooo excited to actually go to my first one honestly idek who i would go as because i like sooo many characters lol

Having read 900+ Manga it would be a hard choice. One place to start is to make a list of your top 10 favorite Manga. I'm curious as to how many Anime series that you have watched? Sometimes that can help you make a choice by seeing the character in action. I personally have only come up with 3 Cosplay outfits. I have worn one of the three at most of the conventions that I have gone to.

Here are the three:
1. Lt Cmd Science Officer from Star Trek the original series.
This one I came up with due to my Love of Star Trek and Science. I was in a Star Trek club during the 1990's and even worked at Sci Fi Conventions.

2. Celtic Cleric from Dungeon and Dragons (Original Design)
I started playing D & D back in the 1980's. One of my favorite characters is a cleric who helps out the group by healing them and often being the groups leader. Also I like Fantasy a lot.

3. Syaoran from the Anime series Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles - Collected Memories
The Tsubasa series is a dear one to me. It's a story about a young man, "Syaoran" doing anything and everything to find the memories of his beloved princess, "Princess Sakura".. These memories are scattered through space, time, and dimensions and they come in the form of magical feathers. If you haven't read the Manga for this series google it and you will get an idea as to why I picked his character.

For Syaoran it took me about a year to come up with his Cosplay Outfit. I used photos online and an art book from the series to figure out what I needed to create the outfit. It was a lot of fun getting all of the items for it. My sister made a cloak for me due to me not being able to sew.

I have a lot of ideas for future outfits like Ash from Pokémon, Link from Legend of Zelda, Sasuke from Naruto, and Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon. Money and time are the only things that are stopping me.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:37 pm
smithers456
iBundles Dabs

Having read 900+ Manga it would be a hard choice. One place to start is to make a list of your top 10 favorite Manga. I'm curious as to how many Anime series that you have watched? Sometimes that can help you make a choice by seeing the character in action. I personally have only come up with 3 Cosplay outfits. I have worn one of the three at most of the conventions that I have gone to.

Here are the three:
This one I came up with due to my Love of Star Trek and Science. I was in a Star Trek club during the 1990's and even worked at Sci Fi Conventions.

I started playing D & D back in the 1980's. One of my favorite characters is a cleric who helps out the group by healing them and often being the groups leader. Also I like Fantasy a lot.

3. Syaoran from the Anime series Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles - Collected Memories
The Tsubasa series is a dear one to me. It's a story about a young man, "Syaoran" doing anything and everything to find the memories of his beloved princess, "Princess Sakura".. These memories are scattered through space, time, and dimensions and they come in the form of magical feathers. If you haven't read the Manga for this series google it and you will get an idea as to why I picked his character.

For Syaoran it took me about a year to come up with his Cosplay Outfit. I used photos online and an art book from the series to figure out what I needed to create the outfit. It was a lot of fun getting all of the items for it. My sister made a cloak for me due to me not being able to sew.

I have a lot of ideas for future outfits like Ash from Pokémon, Link from Legend of Zelda, Sasuke from Naruto, and Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon. Money and time are the only things that are stopping me.

hmmm a list you say....goodness this is going to get harddddd lol crying but i can do it  

iBundles Dabs
Crew

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:33 pm
iBundles Dabs
smithers456
iBundles Dabs

Here are the three:

hmmm a list you say....goodness this is going to get harddddd lol crying but i can do it

Razzi check out my Avi. I think that she found your room full of Manga books and is reading one of them. biggrin I also happen to like cats. It's amazing what items that you can find for your avi on Gaia.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:06 am
smithers456
iBundles Dabs
smithers456
iBundles Dabs

Here are the three:

Razzi check out my Avi. I think that she found your room full of Manga books and is reading one of them. biggrin I also happen to like cats. It's amazing what items that you can find for your avi on Gaia.

omfg i love it lol blaugh im trying to figure out what im going to do about my avi honestly lol  

iBundles Dabs
Crew

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:48 pm
iBundles Dabs

smithers456

iBundles Dabs

omfg i love it lol blaugh im trying to figure out what im going to do about my avi honestly lol

I change my Avi often. I've used the items that I have to create different ones. After saving up enough Gaia Gold I have bought outfits for my avi. I think of it like a new hobby. I check out the lists of what people's are equipped with to come up with ideas for my own. I've even come up with Cosplay related ones. I gave you a gift of a couple items for your avi. From your Wish List. I usually give my new Crew Members a gift as a Thank You for their help.

Oh make sure to read every Guild Wide Announcements. The latest one is about our next Special Event. Since it's going to be about Anime and Manga I'm going to need your help with that. No pressure. I will send messages to both you and our Vice Captains about it soon. In the meantime try to come up with some ideas for Anime / Manga related contests. If you are not able to come up with something right away that's fine.

Most contests have participation avi item prizes that you can pick from our valuable item prize list.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:10 pm
smithers456
iBundles Dabs

smithers456

iBundles Dabs

I change my Avi often. I've used the items that I have to create different ones. After saving up enough Gaia Gold I have bought outfits for my avi. I think of it like a new hobby. I check out the lists of what people's are equipped with to come up with ideas for my own. I've even come up with Cosplay related ones. I gave you a gift of a couple items for your avi. From your Wish List. I usually give my new Crew Members a gift as a Thank You for their help.

Oh make sure to read every Guild Wide Announcements. The latest one is about our next Special Event. Since it's going to be about Anime and Manga I'm going to need your help with that. No pressure. I will send messages to both you and our Vice Captains about it soon. In the meantime try to come up with some ideas for Anime / Manga related contests. If you are not able to come up with something right away that's fine.

Most contests have participation avi item prizes that you can pick from our valuable item prize list.

that will be amazingly fun and sorry i havent been on i have been on the food truck every day and i have been extremely tireddd...but im back now lol  

iBundles Dabs
Crew

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:02 am
Fashion and cosplay sewing aside; I like to read, usually on my lunch breaks. I have so many books on my shelf I want to go through! mrgreen

Though I'm not great at it, I also enjoy drawing and painting with watercolors.

And of course! I've sunk a good part of my life into playing videogames lol  
Getting To Know You

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces