Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
When the teachers of schools 'txt tlk'... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wrong?
  Yeah.
View Results

Sola Catella

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:56 pm
I think that this might be related to the fact that proper English grammar is no longer taught in English classes for some reason. I had to look up the difference between 'its' and 'it's' for myself, for example, and I gleaned the bulk of my grammatical knowledge from my Latin class.

English classes, paradoxically, no longer teach English. In my experience, they teach how to write an essay and how to read. My teacher has been having us do pronoun worksheets for the last few weeks, and even with the words 'NOMINATIVE CASE' and 'OBJECTIVE CASE' written across the top of them in bold, many of my classmates still have trouble picking out the correct pronoun.

I shudder to think what might be the result if my teachers were foolish enough to accept papers handed in in chatspeak. I actually recall my AP World History teacher reprimanding the class after an in-class essay and telling us not to use shorthand or abbreviations in our essays even when we were pressed for time. We do have SmartBoards, but my teachers tend to use them as if they were the more common dry-erase boards and scrawl upon them in decent English.  
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:31 pm
I have never been forced to endure such experience, but if teachers are using text talk, that is crap. Utter crap. Shows what pit my nation is falling into. gonk  

Zealot of Insanity

Tell-Tale Heart

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:08 pm
We don't really have the problem of teaches "txt talking" but when I walk down the junior high's hallways (I'm a sophomore, so I'm not to blame), I look at the posters. They all suck, but I look anyway. More often than not, they are riddled with grammar errors and instead of writing a simple "to" or "too", they write "2". But then again, this is coming from the class that says Kurt Cobain killed himself when he was 14 because of bullies. You also see "princepal", "optumitrist", "buss" and people misspelling their own names.

Sad thing is that teachers allow it.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:42 pm
If I was to turn in an essay in txt tlk, my teacher would tell me to kiss one of the end-of-the-year parties goodbye. sweatdrop
But even without the blackmail, I wouldn't use txt tlk in an essay because when I read it over there'd be no way for me to check grammar or spelling because then the whole essay would come out wrong...>_>
Plus, I type faster when I type like someone who makes sense.  

chrystalclear

Subservient Nonentity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:32 pm
WellThen
Ugh, I find this completely ridiculous! New Speak, anyone? Seriously, this is going to cause a huge problem in the next few generations writing abilities if we don't fix it at the source! Anyway, school boards have to stop dumbing everything down. If a stupid student can't keep up, well, he/she'd better be doing more studying. Or however he/she wants to manage to keep up with the others. I don't believe in raising the bar to help the very intelligent students, but I'm also against lowering it for the idiots of the world.

Very well said. My school keeps lowering standards in certain areas, but raising the course credits we need to graduate. So, very basically, we are to take 5 English credits, but all we would do in the class is read a story, and do a worksheet asking about the story.

It's amazing how easy a class can be, yet people still will complain.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:35 pm
Tell-Tale Heart
We don't really have the problem of teaches "txt talking" but when I walk down the junior high's hallways (I'm a sophomore, so I'm not to blame), I look at the posters. They all suck, but I look anyway. More often than not, they are riddled with grammar errors and instead of writing a simple "to" or "too", they write "2". But then again, this is coming from the class that says Kurt Cobain killed himself when he was 14 because of bullies. You also see "princepal", "optumitrist", "buss" and people misspelling their own names.

Sad thing is that teachers allow it.

I remember, in my 8th grade year, a girl who didn't know how to spell her name. Her name was Jennifer. She eventually dropped out.  

Subservient Nonentity

PrincessPeachey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:17 am
I think it's pathetic when people can't spell their own names. For example:

Some kid with the last name MacGregor

Name: Blank Magergor Room: 17

Me

Isn't your name spelt "MacGregor"?

Some kid with the last name MacGregor

No.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:48 am
Wow. All I can say is that's extremely weird. Yeah, I would be completely devasted and worried too.  

Sweet Blushes

MichaelJE2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:35 pm
This is absolutely horrible. Now even more people will be using '1337' speak and I won't be able to understand anyone!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:22 pm
We aren't allowed to use TXT TLK at my school (thank god), but NO-ONE knows how to spell or use correct grammar. The only ones that do are those that read a heck of a lot, and we end up correcting our English teachers and their bad, bad, APPALLING spelling. ><

Do you have ANY idea what last year's English syllabus was like? They MADE UP words to express our task: they called it 'metalanguage'. The only one I bothered to remember is 'constructedness'. The Head of English even said: We know you go home and laugh about it, but you're still going to fail.

==  

Ishita_Kanzar

__X__Naomi__X__

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:12 pm
If 'txt tlk' was used in my school,
(and thank god that it isn't)
I could just kiss my future education
Goodbye.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:01 pm
If you text talk at my school, everyone laughs at you.
Because you are a n00by, n00bile, n00bert.
N00b. domokun  

wcs792

Ounsrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:35 pm
How depressing...
What next?
Our parents?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:41 pm
O.o

Oh good god... >< *imagining*  

Ishita_Kanzar

Exiled_In_Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:03 pm
None of my teachers do that. At least not my new ones. It was hard to understand what was on the board. I miss her though. (New teacher is a two-faced b***h)  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff