Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Ask Ms. Knitty (and pals) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:15 am
Lee Kushrenada
Peppermint Elf
I need someone better at reading instructions than I am to read this and give me some advice...
Knitty.com
Decrease Round: K1, k2tog, k to 3 sts before marker, ssk, k2, k2tog, k to last 3 sts, ssk, k1.

K 5 rounds even.

Repeat these 6 rounds twice more. 152[168, 188, 204, 220] sts.
So... over the K 5 rounds even... does this mean I continue doing the decreases over the 5 rows? Or do I just do them in pure stockinet? In case you need the whole pattern, it's here.

now don't take my word for this, but I think that when it says knit 5 rows, it just means that after you do all the knitting together and what not...you just knit 5 rows, and then you do it all over again.
but to be honest I don't know if that's true, so if some one say's it better than I then go with them.
Thanks Lee. I really appreciate getting a 2nd opinion here. I didn't want to think I was the only one thinking that it might be stockinette for 5 rows. But I looked at the pic again (I wish they had a bigger pic), but I think it might be decreased over the 5 rows. Am I the only one who thinks this? It says the diameter after the 18 rows should be 7.5 inches. I'm not sure if so few decreases (if done in stockinette) could get that diameter.

I really really wish they had a bigger picture. gonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:48 am
Peppermint Elf
Lee Kushrenada
Peppermint Elf
I need someone better at reading instructions than I am to read this and give me some advice...
Knitty.com
Decrease Round: K1, k2tog, k to 3 sts before marker, ssk, k2, k2tog, k to last 3 sts, ssk, k1.

K 5 rounds even.

Repeat these 6 rounds twice more. 152[168, 188, 204, 220] sts.
So... over the K 5 rounds even... does this mean I continue doing the decreases over the 5 rows? Or do I just do them in pure stockinet? In case you need the whole pattern, it's here.

now don't take my word for this, but I think that when it says knit 5 rows, it just means that after you do all the knitting together and what not...you just knit 5 rows, and then you do it all over again.
but to be honest I don't know if that's true, so if some one say's it better than I then go with them.
Thanks Lee. I really appreciate getting a 2nd opinion here. I didn't want to think I was the only one thinking that it might be stockinette for 5 rows. But I looked at the pic again (I wish they had a bigger pic), but I think it might be decreased over the 5 rows. Am I the only one who thinks this? It says the diameter after the 18 rows should be 7.5 inches. I'm not sure if so few decreases (if done in stockinette) could get that diameter.

I really really wish they had a bigger picture. gonk

Lee's right. You do a decrease row, knit 5 rows in stockinette, and then repeat that two more times. Whenever you see the words "Knit Even" that means knit in stockinette. Since it's in the round, you're lucky. All you have to do is knit around and around. And to help clarify for you, the 7.5 inches is how long your work should be from the cast on row, not how big around it should be. What you're doing is casting on at the bottom and the decreasing you're doing now is giving the waist some shaping. You'll knit the waist and then increase for the lower ribs and bust.

Did that help you get a more firm picture of what you're doing? If not, let me know!  

Catcheen
Crew

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:11 pm
Thank you Lee and Catcheen!!! *huggles both tightly* You 2 really saved me from.... a lot of frogging. whee heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:35 pm
::gasp:: eek Lee did some thing right! eek gosh I just want to grow up to be just like Lee! mrgreen yes yes I know, I'm a dork.  

Lee Kushrenada

Impotent Rage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:43 pm
Knitting novice here. The only thing I've knit so far is scarves, though it has been many different kinds, and not just rectangles.
I'd like to start branching out, but I've afraid socks, and don't really like knitted hats.

I've also decided to knit some clothes for dolls, so the small size 'should' make things easier since I won't be spending hours upon hours knitting something huge and difficult. The problems is I have no experience with sizing projects. I've just done what the pattern said, and now that obviously won't work.

Do you have any tips or links I could look at that explain adjusting patterns to suit specific sizes, or what about just figuring out sizing for your own project, since one of the things I plan to make are leg warmers, and I think I can manage those without a pattern. (Maybe...)  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:10 pm
Okay, here's a tricky one for you.

I'm assembling/designing lace for a stole. I have a body stitch pattern (print o' the wave and/or madaera diamonds, if you know the ones I'm talking about), and a wide edging pattern ('wedding veil' from Heirloom Knitting). I can knit the edging of the sides at the same time as the body, and when the body is done I am capable of connecting the edging to the live stitches from the body. My problem is this:

How in the hell are you supposed to turn a 90 degree corner in-pattern in a directional lace edging?

I've figured out what I think the chart would have to look like - basically, a diagonal line of yos bordered with stockinette, which would be super-easy to do if I was knitting the edging from the body out, all in one piece. I'm guessing some kind of short-rows are going to be neccessary for directional stuff? I'll get the chart posted as soon as I can get it into my art program, if anyone wants a copy.  

Zahra Ovaci

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:21 pm
Korrin
Knitting novice here. The only thing I've knit so far is scarves, though it has been many different kinds, and not just rectangles.
I'd like to start branching out, but I've afraid socks, and don't really like knitted hats.

I've also decided to knit some clothes for dolls, so the small size 'should' make things easier since I won't be spending hours upon hours knitting something huge and difficult. The problems is I have no experience with sizing projects. I've just done what the pattern said, and now that obviously won't work.

Do you have any tips or links I could look at that explain adjusting patterns to suit specific sizes, or what about just figuring out sizing for your own project, since one of the things I plan to make are leg warmers, and I think I can manage those without a pattern. (Maybe...)

Okee, first off, making something smaller by using smaller yarn and needles doesn't take less time. You're making the exact same amount of stitches, just smaller. It's a common misconception. So if you're just going smaller to make something easier, go ahead and make it at normal size so you can see what you're doing better.

As for adjusting the patterns to make them smaller, you're going to need to make a guage swatch which means use the needles and yarn you want, knit a 5x5 inch square with it and count how many stitches you're getting per inch and how many rows you're getting per inch. Using that knowledge, you can make almost anything. Say you want to make something 7 inches wide and you're getting 6 stitches per inch. Multiply that 6 an inch by how many inches you need and then you know you need to cast on 42 to get that. If you need to decrease that 7 inches to 5 inches, you know you need to decrease by 12 stitches. So actually, it's hard to simply adjust a pattern to make it smaller; you're going to have to do some math and pretty much re-write the pattern for your needs.

If you want more details on how to specifically do legwarmers, let me know!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:31 pm
Zahra Ovaci
Okay, here's a tricky one for you.

I'm assembling/designing lace for a stole. I have a body stitch pattern (print o' the wave and/or madaera diamonds, if you know the ones I'm talking about), and a wide edging pattern ('wedding veil' from Heirloom Knitting). I can knit the edging of the sides at the same time as the body, and when the body is done I am capable of connecting the edging to the live stitches from the body. My problem is this:

How in the hell are you supposed to turn a 90 degree corner in-pattern in a directional lace edging?

I've figured out what I think the chart would have to look like - basically, a diagonal line of yos bordered with stockinette, which would be super-easy to do if I was knitting the edging from the body out, all in one piece. I'm guessing some kind of short-rows are going to be neccessary for directional stuff? I'll get the chart posted as soon as I can get it into my art program, if anyone wants a copy.

Wow, you win. That is tricky. I think I might be having trouble visualizing how this is gunna work. Do you have any means of sketching out a little diagram for me? From what I'm gathering, you want to use a provisional cast on so you keep the cast on edge live? And the boarder you want to knit goes side to side so on two sides you can knit in pattern, but you'll need to attach it to the other two ends? Gosh you're in for a challenge. Especially if you want 90 degree corners that are kind of attached last. I know most shawls with an edging pick up alllllll around the edge and then knit in the round with a lace pattern that's knit up and down. THAT I could probably help you figure out a mitered corner.  

Catcheen
Crew

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:07 pm
I explain things better with pictures than words smile

This is my stole, for the most part:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The edgings are in blue, the body in white. Don't mind the black lines, that's stitch pattern repeats smile The side edgings I can knit along with the body, and the top edging shown here I have figured out, it's the corners that are getting to me.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:11 am
Zahra Ovaci
I explain things better with pictures than words smile

This is my stole, for the most part:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The edgings are in blue, the body in white. Don't mind the black lines, that's stitch pattern repeats smile The side edgings I can knit along with the body, and the top edging shown here I have figured out, it's the corners that are getting to me.

Now I hope I can explain well enough. *grin* On that top part, you're doing it with live stitches, right? Can you pick up the stitches on the top parts of the side edges and run the stitch pattern from end to end? (the top of the blue things) I know it won't be a nice mitered edge that way, but I'm sure it'll still look nice. I cannot, for the life of me think of how to do a nice mitered edge unless you decrease the corners of the sides AS you're knitting. (you'd end up needing to work them seperately) And when you do the top, decrease both ends there as well and then matress stitch the seams together.

*crosses fingers and hopes it makes sence* If you're thinking "huh?" let me know and I'll try to explain better.  

Catcheen
Crew

zabby91

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:42 pm
I'm sort of a beginner in Knitting so I'm not sure if what I'm doing is correct. I'm doing a seed stitch (row1: k1, P1, row2: p1, k1) and it seems to come out with crossed yarn making it hard to knt and purl, is that supposed to happen?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:07 pm
zabby91
I'm sort of a beginner in Knitting so I'm not sure if what I'm doing is correct. I'm doing a seed stitch (row1: k1, P1, row2: p1, k1) and it seems to come out with crossed yarn making it hard to knt and purl, is that supposed to happen?

If I understand you correctly, I had the exact same problem when first working with seed stitch.
You have to remember that when knitting, the yarn comes from behind, and when purling it comes from in front. Remember to move the yarn back and forth for every stitch otherwise everything gets all tangled up.  

Impotent Rage

zabby91

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:23 pm
Korrin
zabby91

If I understand you correctly, I had the exact same problem when first working with seed stitch.
You have to remember that when knitting, the yarn comes from behind, and when purling it comes from in front. Remember to move the yarn back and forth for every stitch otherwise everything gets all tangled up.

Oh! Oops! I've been doing it correctly with Knitting and having the yarn come from behind in purpling...Thank you! I shall now go and fix my hat  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:14 pm
I was wondering about knitting in the round. I know if you countinually just knit all you rounds it will turn out to look like stocknit stitch. What about reverse stocknit stitch. Do you just purl all the rounds? i'm kinda confused.  

AccentualWolf

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:16 am
AccentualWolf
I was wondering about knitting in the round. I know if you countinually just knit all you rounds it will turn out to look like stocknit stitch. What about reverse stocknit stitch. Do you just purl all the rounds? i'm kinda confused.

Bingo. Basically, you're never turning, so you never have to switch techniques. If you're wanting reverse stockinette, you can also just knit every stitch and just turn your item inside out when you're done. But that only works if your whole item is going to be reverse stockinette.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff