Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Words that just don't look right. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:38 pm
Kaeldra18
Also nesessarily. Isn't there a "c" or something?

Did you see this thread? It has a spelling tip for how to spell "necessary".  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:31 pm
I've had a problem as of late with the word 'camaraderie'. There is no problem spelling it, but when pronounced, it sounds completely different and it takes me a few moments to recognize that its 'camaraderie'.  

Kohy

Kaego

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:06 pm
the word 'necessary'!

the c's and s's are confusing!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:23 pm
The word 'definitely' is a tough one too.

I always end up spelling it wrong! >.< whee  

Kaego

BabbleFish

Shameless Smoker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:59 am
the words that get me are weird and tomorrow. I always spell tomorrow with two m's and two r's or two m's and one r. My friend taught me a way to remember how weird is spelled though. She told me think of it like this, if you spell it wierd then flip the r and the e you get wired so that's how you know you've spelled it wrong. but if you flip the r and the letter next to it and you've spelled weird correctly then the word you've created is. werid which is just weird. *laughs* I quote her everytime I write that word. lol  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:27 pm
the words that gets me most of the time is "wintry". I always think there should be an "e" in it. Or is there? aww, now I've gotten myself confused.
oh, "roofs" is another odd one, it doesn't sound right but neither does "rooves". Its so damn complicated!  

`^Gothic-Hippie^`

Ithaya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:55 pm
serenity-bird-006
The word 'definitely' is a tough one too.

I always end up spelling it wrong! >.< whee

^_^ I used to be like that. Not any more though. I have a friend on MSN who corrects me when I spell things wrong, and so far he's managed to teach me definitely, weird and a good few others.

Series. (He taught me that one today, too). I'm gonna forget that again...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:58 pm
I always think that I have mispelled awesome.

Plus I just think that about everything anyway.

I have Dysgraphia. Hmm.. is that how you spell it? sweatdrop

Well you were about to Google it anyway....

Underlying Causes

Students with dysgraphia often have sequencing problems. Studies indicate that what usually appears to be a perceptual problem (reversing letters/numbers, writing words backwards, writing letters out of order, and very sloppy handwriting) usually seems to be directly related to sequential/rational information processing. These students often have difficulty with the sequence of letters and words as they write. As a result, the student either needs to slow down in order to write accurately, or experiences extreme difficulty with the "mechanics" of writing (spelling, punctuation, etc.). They also tend to intermix letters and numbers in formulas. Usually they have difficulty even when they do their work more slowly. And by slowing down or getting "stuck" with the details of writing they often lose the thoughts that they are trying to write about.

Sympoms

1. Students may exhibit strong verbal but particularly poor writing skills .

2. Random (or non-existent) punctuation. Spelling errors (sometimes same word spelled differently); reversals; phonic approximations; syllable omissions; errors in common suffixes. Clumsiness and disordering of syntax; an impression of illiteracy. Misinterpretation of questions and questionnaire items. Disordered numbering and written number reversals.

3. Generally illegible writing (despite appropriate time and attention given the task).

4. Inconsistencies : mixtures of print and cursive, upper and lower case, or irregular sizes, shapes, or slant of letters.

5. Unfinished words or letters, omitted words.

6. Inconsistent position on page with respect to lines and margins and inconsistent spaces between words and letters.

7. Cramped or unusual grip, especially holding the writing instrument very close to the paper, or holding thumb over two fingers and writing from the wrist.

8. Talking to self while writing, or carefully watching the hand that is writing.

9. Slow or labored copying or writing - even if it is neat and legible.  

Hepkat

KoshiDoragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:31 pm
Hallopixie
I always think that I have mispelled awesome.

Plus I just think that about everything anyway.

I have Dysgraphia. Hmm.. is that how you spell it? sweatdrop

Well you were about to Google it anyway....

Underlying Causes

Students with dysgraphia often have sequencing problems. Studies indicate that what usually appears to be a perceptual problem (reversing letters/numbers, writing words backwards, writing letters out of order, and very sloppy handwriting) usually seems to be directly related to sequential/rational information processing. These students often have difficulty with the sequence of letters and words as they write. As a result, the student either needs to slow down in order to write accurately, or experiences extreme difficulty with the "mechanics" of writing (spelling, punctuation, etc.). They also tend to intermix letters and numbers in formulas. Usually they have difficulty even when they do their work more slowly. And by slowing down or getting "stuck" with the details of writing they often lose the thoughts that they are trying to write about.

Sympoms

1. Students may exhibit strong verbal but particularly poor writing skills .

2. Random (or non-existent) punctuation. Spelling errors (sometimes same word spelled differently); reversals; phonic approximations; syllable omissions; errors in common suffixes. Clumsiness and disordering of syntax; an impression of illiteracy. Misinterpretation of questions and questionnaire items. Disordered numbering and written number reversals.

3. Generally illegible writing (despite appropriate time and attention given the task).

4. Inconsistencies : mixtures of print and cursive, upper and lower case, or irregular sizes, shapes, or slant of letters.

5. Unfinished words or letters, omitted words.

6. Inconsistent position on page with respect to lines and margins and inconsistent spaces between words and letters.

7. Cramped or unusual grip, especially holding the writing instrument very close to the paper, or holding thumb over two fingers and writing from the wrist.

8. Talking to self while writing, or carefully watching the hand that is writing.

9. Slow or labored copying or writing - even if it is neat and legible.
<[I heart you, you hate me... we're a happy family...]>

^_^; You spelt symptoms wrongly.

Ahh, there's the word: wrongly.

I don't know why, but I always stare at it and feel that it is incorrect. Maybe it isn't even a word. I don't know. And I'm too lazy to look it up.

<[I... I'm hyperactive heart User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.]>

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:42 pm
I just went to watch one of my favorite fanimations on DeviantArt, and I saw a word that made me blink, and watch it over again to make sure I saw it right. (The text shows on the bottom of the fanimation.)

The word was "afros".

Personally, afro AND afros look weird to me. Those ARE the correct spellings, aren't they? sweatdrop

To Hallopixie: The only symptom I have is talking to myself while writing, and I've partially broken the habit.

And I think that a lot of doctors have dysgraphia. Such....messy...writing...*becomes blind*  

chrystalclear

tetrasmaster

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:29 pm
The word 'slaughterer' looks weird to me. It just looks like there are too many letters... That IS how it is spelled though..

Maybe it's just me! sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:41 am
Opprobrium. I always forget the first 'r'.  

Sola Catella

talkintree

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:49 pm
DarkElf27
You ever have words that bug you because they look misspelled, even though they aren't? Post them here.

My most recent one is 'stretch'.

I was looking at the word 'could' today...it looked funny. I kept thinking I spelled it wrong.  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:35 am
Don't laugh, but 'shore' has been getting to me lately.

I think it has something to do with writting 'sure' so much, that when trying to write 'shore', I always think there's something wrong with it.  

Kohy

Kurinshin Fairu`

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:03 pm
My word is business. Cant spell it right. Ever. (not without spell check anyway)  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff