Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Words that should not be misused Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should we strive for words to be used correctly?
  Of course!!
  No, what's the point?
View Results

talkintree

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:27 pm
I met this guy and whenever he used to think something was cheap (as in he ripped off/taken advantage of) he'd say:

"Man, that's Jewish!" or "You're Jewish" (You're cheap)

I started using it >_< xp

I even said that in college once when I got a less than average mark on my test. I blurted out, "Ahh, that's Jewish. I should have got a better mark than that"

That's VERY rude. >_<  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:22 pm
When I substitute teach I have a strict "Profane Accuracy" Policy on cursing and most slang. I almost never swear myself, but know that many families do, so I won't make my students go to the principal or anything as long as they are not insulting another classmate and as long as they are ACCURATE. Hee hee hee... YES, I am mean.

Therefore, "This homework is so gay!"...is the homework really attracted to papers of the same sex?

Did the calculator stop working because it was having sexual intercourse?  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:13 am
something i have not used since third grade, when a day care teacher pointed it out to me-"how come." the proper way to ask a question is "why."

in my school, "gay," "retarded," and "jewish" are frequently interchanged to show dislike for something.

and.....how the hell is "your mom goes to college" an insult? doesn't that mean she's taking incentive to better herself? (my sister came up with the perfect counter-insult for that-"too bad yours didn't.")

and one thing i do that really confuses people, merely for that fact-when someone is trying to insult me, i respond with, "i know i am, but what are you?" they think it's "i know you are, but what am i?" and begin to retaliate, then stop, having realized i just insulted myself. they then proceed to use their tiny little unused brains, causing great pain, which is very amusing.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:48 pm
I'm tired of people thinking it's ok to type "i" in lowercase.  

Siphilis

Klandy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:33 pm
I don't mind 'lol' but when its over used I don't like it. I usually use it once every conversation I have. But when you use it every other word it gets annoying. I don't like it when people mispell cool and change it into kool. That bothers me a whole lot. I don't like 'retarded or gay', in my opinion it makes you sound retarded or gay. I don't like when people over use the word 'like.' One time, my sister and Iwere sitting next to this girl who was talking to this other girl. My sister and I counted 50 likes in one minute!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:43 am
Sachiko-'Your mum goes to college' is quoted from Napoleon Dynamite, and therefore could be the cause of people for some reason using it as an insult.
Yes, if someone is going to type 'lol' I prefer it to have a capital letter, if used at the beginning of a sentence, but that is a very reasonable and common expectation, yes? I have always hated people typing the letter i in lower case when referring to themselves, once again, a common and reasonable expectation? Gay and retarded are used quite frequently on the premises of my school, but I don't think I've ever heard Jewish. stare  

x-Sadistic_Angel-x

Subservient Nonentity

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:42 pm
Mangabrary
Everyone has a favorite word, whether they acknowledge it or not. But, was there ever a word you didn't want said? A word that you think should be banned, at least from being used out of context? Discuss it here.

WACKY! I really dislike that word! It should be forgotten and done away with.

When you say the word, it sounds like someone making a loud, obnoxious slapping noise.

WACK
ACK
CK

Ergh!  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:39 am
"Alright."

IT'S NOT A WORD. But at the rate it's being used, sigh... if it's not already in the dictionary, it soon will be.  

-l- Eli -l-

Sanami2315

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:50 am
I love the word "precede", but I CAN NOT STAND when people use it incorrectly.

IT HAPPENS EVERY DAY.

"She then preceded to smack the idiots misusing her favorite word."

THAT'S WRONG. The word they're looking for is "proceed".  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:28 am
subservient_x_nonentity
Mangabrary
Everyone has a favorite word, whether they acknowledge it or not. But, was there ever a word you didn't want said? A word that you think should be banned, at least from being used out of context? Discuss it here.

WACKY! I really dislike that word! It should be forgotten and done away with.

When you say the word, it sounds like someone making a loud, obnoxious slapping noise.

WACK
ACK
CK

Ergh!

*Laughs* That reminds me of something.

But anyway, I agree with what a lot of people here said about the word "gay" as an insult. I despise it and wish that it wouldn't be used as such. It only promotes discrimination and makes the people who are homosexual feel really bad.

l3viathan

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:16 pm
Utilize. I hate that word.

Why? Utilize means EXACTLY the same thing as 'use'. The only difference is how the word sounds to other people.

Hence, people use it to sound smarter. And that strikes a nerve, when someone totally tosses a word out in favor of a 'fancier' one.

My history teacher uses it. All it does is make him sound like a total moron.

"The union utilized cannons at the battle of..."

"Utilize a pencil only on this test..."

"You may utilize pictures in your written essay..."

Argh. It makes me want to hit him. It makes him look like a total fool! scream  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:38 pm
Mia Eidenschink

Most importantly, 'ain't' is NOT a word, reguardless what the dictionary says. The dictionary calls it slang, and that is what it is! 'Ain't' supposidly contains the words 'are' and 'not', but isn't that 'arn't'? I would personally love to slap anyone who uses that word.

The englsih language evolves, if you want a something that will never change learn latin ubtil then ain't is something you should accept or smart talking in anglo-saxon(old english). Old english is like a differnet language though, no one will be able to understand you without a decoder ring.

I don't think there is a work people shouldn't use, but I think they should look it up in the dictionary first.  

Ksenia Sergeevina

l3viathan

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:34 am
Ksenia Sergeevina
Mia Eidenschink

Most importantly, 'ain't' is NOT a word, reguardless what the dictionary says. The dictionary calls it slang, and that is what it is! 'Ain't' supposidly contains the words 'are' and 'not', but isn't that 'arn't'? I would personally love to slap anyone who uses that word.

The englsih language evolves, if you want a something that will never change learn latin ubtil then ain't is something you should accept or smart talking in anglo-saxon(old english). Old english is like a differnet language though, no one will be able to understand you without a decoder ring.

I don't think there is a work people shouldn't use, but I think they should look it up in the dictionary first.

^^;; Please try to be a bit more careful with your typos. Also, 'English' is capitalized just as with the name of any other language. Example: German, French, Latin, etc.  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:43 am
realitical
Ksenia Sergeevina
Mia Eidenschink

^^;; Please try to be a bit more careful with your typos. Also, 'English' is capitalized just as with the name of any other language. Example: German, French, Latin, etc.

Woah, you're totally right. sweatdrop I was really tired when I wrote that.  

Ksenia Sergeevina

l3viathan

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:29 am
Ksenia Sergeevina
Woah, you're totally right. sweatdrop I was really tired when I wrote that.

It's fine. 3nodding I have insomnia problems which impairs my writing at times as well.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff